Blizzard Forced to Censor StarCraft II

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
It doesn't sound like the changed much though, which is good. As long as the gameplay remains unaltered, it's all good. It's not like characters smoking improve the game greatly. :p

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
I'd be interested to know what exactly was removed that changed the game from AO to 12 and up.

well lets look at the reasons give

1. Changing the color of the blood: Uh, OK? What are kids supposed to think it's oil? Maybe for the Terrans, but Zerg? Alien blood sure but kids are still going to know it's blood. I'm surprised they didn't just remove it entirely.

2. Removing smoking: I'm not totally sure about Korean society view on right and wrong, but is seeing smoking in media something that is violently censored. In most English speaking countries you have to have nudity and sex before they will slap an AO rating on ya. So I would assume this (and the other things) are considered the same level of taboo. As in not seen on TV or rarely in movies.

3. Removing scenes of vulgarity: OK, this one is a bit vague, so it's hard to pin down. All I can say is they must be VERY vulgar to illicit an AO rating.

Like I said before I'm not sure how Korean values and/or morality differs from more western norms, so I'd like to hear more specific reasons as to why they would choose to give it an AO rating before and a 12 and up rating now.

[sub]I still think it's a plot by the Korean government to stop kids getting addicted to the game[/sub]

GuideBot

Feb 25, 2010
I'm pretty fond of the acid deaths that certain zerg units unleash on marines. Seeing a man flailing about as his flesh dissolves and sloughs from his bones before crumpling in a jelliod heap is the cornerstone of any healthy RTS, right?

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
...why does it need to be censored? THis makes no sense...What exactly is vulgar...

Shirokurou

Mar 8, 2010
Oh come on, we all know that the "adult-only" rating from the Korean ESRB was only "not to let our children get zombified"...
But I'm sure Blizzard dropped them some extra cash and the case was closed.

Actually, maybe that's how the censors plotted it...

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
It's not like the Korean kids playing this will be that fussed over the visuals anyway, they prefer to focus on being freakishly good at the game and make everybody else look bad.

Apr 28, 2008
They're probably more uptight since so many damn people apparently get addicted to Starcraft in that country.

Brad Shepard said:
rembrandtqeinstein said:
Repeat after me....It is the job of parents to "protect children" not the government.
But when the parents fail, they blame the government, its a never ending circle, thats why the censor everything, Digimon, Pokemon, Starcraft, even Yu Gi Oh cards.
Why the fuck would Pokemon and Yu Gi Oh need to be censored?

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Irridium said:
I only have two things to say to that, 4kids and Shadow realm. look it up I guess.

As to why, 'cause 4kids is a bunch of over protective nannys that think kids under 16 can't watch anything more offensive than telletubbies.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Irridium said:
They're probably more uptight since so many damn people apparently get addicted to Starcraft in that country.

Brad Shepard said:
rembrandtqeinstein said:
Repeat after me....It is the job of parents to "protect children" not the government.
But when the parents fail, they blame the government, its a never ending circle, thats why the censor everything, Digimon, Pokemon, Starcraft, even Yu Gi Oh cards.
they killed a whole episode in season 1 where Ash got all those Toros, just because he got a gun pointed at him and meouth dressed up like Hitler, and Yu Gi Oh cards get censored all the time, for religion, Gore, or just because someone's skirt is too short...

Apr 28, 2008
Eric the Orange said:
Irridium said:
I only have two things to say to that, 4kids and Shadow realm. look it up I guess.

As to why, 'cause 4kids is a bunch of over protective nannys that think kids under 16 can't watch anything more offensive than telletubbies.
Well I knew about 4kids and their usually asshatery. But can't say I've heard of Shadow realm.
And it would be funny to show them Courage the Cowardly Dog. They would probably shit their pants.

Brad Shepard said:
Irridium said:

Brad Shepard said:
rembrandtqeinstein said:
they killed a whole episode in season 1 where Ash got all those Toros, just because he got a gun pointed at him and meouth dressed up like Hitler, and Yu Gi Oh cards get censored all the time, for religion, Gore, or just because someone's skirt is too short...
Well I can understand how Meowth dressed as Hitler could be kind of offensive, but everything else is stupid ass reason for censorship.

Rainboq

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2009
chemicalreaper said:
Eh, the two Koreas are really screwed up. I wonder why? (*starts flicking through a modern history textbook.*) Oh yeah, because we went in to try and democratize them.
Yeah, just imagine what's going to happen with Iraq and Afghanistan!

... Wait, its already happening!

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
Rainboq said:
joystickjunki3 said:
Does this affect our version?
Most certainly not! Read the whole article!
Thank you for the quick response, but I wouldn't be asking the question if I didn't already try to find the answer by myself. I was confused, so I asked; no need to shout or condescend.

[edit] For the record, it makes no mention of whether or not the US version is affected.