Inmate Creativity: The PlayStation Tattoo Machine

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Inmate Creativity: The PlayStation Tattoo Machine

An enterprising prisoner in the U.K. has been busted for offering to ink up his fellow inmates using a tattoo machine he built from a stripped-down PlayStation.

Prison inmates are by necessity a creative bunch, few more so than the detainee at the Brook House Immigration Removal Center who built himself a tattoo machine by tearing down a PlayStation console and then attaching its motor to a sharpened ballpoint pen. "It was a truly bizarre piece of DIY, up there with some of the most extraordinary finds staff have made," a source told The Sun [http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2983928/Sony-PainStation-prisoner-uses-console-as-DIY-tattoo-gizmo.html]. "When it was switched on it would move up and down like a real tattoo gun."

The source described the device was "a bit Heath Robinson," which according to Wikipedia [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._Heath_Robinson] is Brit-speak for an "unnecessarily complex and implausible contraption," and said that a person would have to be "daring" to use it. But given that inmates routinely smuggle contraband up their asses and drink prison wine that's made in a toilet, getting a tattoo from this thing really doesn't strike me as all that impressive.

Guests of Her Majesty are allowed access PlayStation and PlayStation 2 consoles but not the PlayStation 3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92412-UK-Prison-Bans-PS3s-Over-Fears-of-Escape-UPDATED] because of its ability to connect to the internet. As for the PlayStation Tattoo Machine, it was seized along with a tattoo magazine but the Border and Immigration Agency said no further action would be taken.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Wow, just wow, thats a amazing thing, i would have never thought of that, but i never plan to be in jail either.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
That is pretty creative...Ill give it to him it was creative to be sure.

Although, not surprised it was caught...difficult to hide

HSIAMetalKing

Jan 2, 2008
That's not so creative-- the fact that it's a Playstation is irrelevant; prisoners make tattoo guns all the time using harvested mechanical motors and electronics, and they all work the same way.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
here is my question, how the hell did someone sneek a PSX into a prison?

EDIT: I misread the news, sorry fokes.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Brad Shepard said:
It says that in the UK where this happened the inmates are allowed to have PS and PS-2 systems but not the PS-3 because it can connect to the Internet and could be used for communication.

I'd imagine it was purchused out of the commisary just like a TV or anything else.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
I've seen crazier stuff turned into tattoo guns, but I find inmate ingenuity very interesting and impressive.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
Therumancer said:
Brad Shepard said:
It says that in the UK where this happened the inmates are allowed to have PS and PS-2 systems but not the PS-3 because it can connect to the Internet and could be used for communication.

I'd imagine it was purchused out of the commisary just like a TV or anything else.
I must have skimed over that, thanks :)

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
mr-fix_it said:
bjj hero said:
Be honest: Who imprisoned McGyver?
The limeys got probably jealous of his awesomeness.
This limey has nothing but respect for his mad skills.

Therumancer said:

They earn money if they have a job or attend education in prison but its not much. A big puchase like that would likely be bought using money sent in from family outside, or bought cheaply from an inmate about to be released.

JoshGod

Aug 31, 2009
wtf prisiners are allowed ps1's and ps2's? thats bull. they probly coudnt afford one. they get a better quality of life in prison. stupid system.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
That's pretty impressive. I don't think I really want to know what he did to get in there in the first place if he's that clever...

But that's a pretty chill prison if it lets them have PlayStations.

KaiRai

Jun 2, 2008
Brad Shepard said:
You don't sneak them. This is the UK, being in prison means you get everything on a plate. Well, maybe an exagerration but you still get a damn sight more than for not being in prison.

ARatherHandsomeGent

Jan 24, 2010
wow, so it actually worked? I take my hat off to this chap (bows then contemplates if another prisoner will do this using soap)

Low Key

May 7, 2009
What a bulky homemade tattoo gun. Most prison tattoo guns are made like this [http://mag.rankmytattoos.com/how-to-make-a-prison-tattoo-machine.html], and don't have wires hanging all over the place. And for those certain cases where contraband can't be obtained, tattoos are burned into the skin with plastic from a comb. Don't ask me how I know this.

De Ronneman

Dec 30, 2009
That is some serious sweetness!

But I wonder, where did he get the PS? Are those allowed these days? Seems like a good place to hide stuff or hit people with, or apperently make tattooguns.