5 Actors Who Could Play James Bond Next

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
I'm calling it. It's time to bring Roger Moore back ;)

Firefilm said:
In a post-(insert recent tragedy here) world, should we maybe stick to serious Bond who kills out of necessity rather than amusement?
No.

Being in a gloomy post tragedy world such as ours is precisely the reason that we need something lighter. Imagine if nobody ever made a fantasy film after WW1? Movies like Bond always used to be escapism to pull us AWAY from that dreary reality outside those cinema doors. Not to mention look how the big budget movies of DC "couldn't make a fun movie if we tried" Comics are faring against the insane-fun-and-loving-it Marvel releases now that the Dark Knight fad has run it's course?

When quirky newcomers like Kingsman, fresh takes on old classics like The Man From UNCLE, and thrilling new Mission Impossible entries that just take the series from strength to strength are popping up everywhere, keeping Bond as his current sour, humourless you're-over-the-hill-now-old-boy style would be a death knell.

Stop piggybacking off Bourne, James- and get back to the formula that made your franchise the most successful film series of all time.

Janichsan

May 26, 2015
Ihateregistering1 said:
Out of curiousity, for all this talk of who the "next Bond" is going to be, have they even said that Spectre will be Craig's last time as Bond?
Yeah, I'm wondering where this is coming from, too. To my knowledge, Craig has a contract for at least one more Bond movie [http://www.theguardian.com/film/2012/sep/11/daniel-craig-james-bond] after Spectre.

sternduckling51

Dec 25, 2012
Bond HAS to be English therefore not Jackmam [edit meant to say British here, my bad]

Bond has to to be suave and confident and mature therefore not Hoult or Radcliffe. I'm totally against a younger Bond but he still can't really be quite so boyish.

Damien Lewis would be good.

Idris Elba would be better but people will whinge about it. At least it'll put into context the stupid whining about Daniel Craig being inappropriate because he's blond.

I like the Clive Owen suggestion but isn't he a couple years older than Craig? Do we want a Bond to be in his fifties when he starts playing the role.

What do people think about Michael Fassbender or Tom Hardy or Christian Bale?

gunny1993

Jun 26, 2012
Daniel Radcliffe .... really? He cant act well at all, he has one facial expression of mopey angst that would never cross Bonds face in a million years

It would be another Lazernby.

Maybe Irdis could, but he'd need to change his accent he's waaaay too street to be bond as he plays it in most of his roles, bond is an upper class tosspot, give him an estuary accent and you're just doing Kingsmen again.

Hugh Jackman is too American, I don't think he could pull of suave at all

Damian Lewis ... interesting, i'd like to see at least one I think.

But at the end of the Day anyone but fecking Radcliffe

AyaReiko

Aug 9, 2008
Most of the suggestions from the article... well... sucks.

I don't know who should be the next 007, but I'll throw in my own nomination; David Tennant.

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
As soon as I saw that first suggestion I thought, "Holy shit, Idris Elba would be such a fucking awesome James Bond". Damien Lewis, could do decently, but not Radcliffe or that other one. And Hugh Jackman, meh. Probably not. He lacks a certain refinement. Besides, Bond should be played by someone from the UK.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Tom Hardy would be good, he is also about the right age to have previously been a Commander in the Navy, providing he rose through the ranks quickly (a given for Bond). This is what puts Ratcliffe and Hoult out... they are too young.

I would love to see Idris Elba play him. He's an actor. People complaining that he is 'too street' seem to forget what acting is. He wasn't 'too street' to play a character from Norse mythology, so why not this? He is already proven to be one of the best-dressed men in Britain (according to GQ he was number 4 in Britain in 2014 and number 6 this year,) so he just has to, you know, act, and he is the package!

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Well I'm going to be all original here..

Radcliffe and Hoult look/are too young. Damian Lewis, I honestly know nothing about, so can't say. Jackman is just too damned Wolverine from my perspective.

I have the feeling that Idris Elba would absolutely slay as Bond. I never knew how much I wanted it to happen until those utterly bollocks comments a while back about how he was 'too street'.

I quite liked the idea floating about of Tom Hardy, too. He seems to be hoovering up a fair few roles/fair bit of presence lately.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
AyaReiko said:
I don't know who should be the next 007, but I'll throw in my own nomination; David Tennant.
I was leaning towards Elba, but now all my votes go to Tennant. I think he can do charming really well, but go into cold killer when needed as well. I would hope with Tennant as 007, Bond could return to being a fun spy movie rather then gritty realistic one.

SmallHatLogan

Jan 23, 2014
sternduckling51 said:
Bond HAS to be English therefore not Jackman

Bond has to to be suave and confident and mature therefore not Hoult or Radcliffe. I'm totally against a younger Bond but he still can't really be quite so boyish.

Damien Lewis would be good.

Idris Elba would be better but people will whinge about it. At least it'll put into context the stupid whining about Daniel Craig being inappropriate because he's blond.

I like the Clive Owen suggestion but isn't he a couple years older than Craig? Do we want a Bond to be in his fifties when he starts playing the role.

What do people think about Michael Fassbender or Tom Hardy or Christian Bale?
Yes, Bond HAS to be English, like the best Bond: Sean Connery. Wait...

Although Jackman is out for me because he's Australian. I'm Australian and when I think of Jackman I think of one one of my fellow countrymen. And while he obviously wouldn't make Bond an Australian I can't get that image out of my head.

Daniel Radcliffe, not a great actor really. Hoult, too babyfaced (Radcliffe too). Lewis I know nothing about. Idris Elba would be the go for me on this list. I would totally be on board with Michael Fassbender though.

I always though Sean Bean would've made a great Bond in his younger days. Then I remember he was the villain in Goldeneye. Then I lament that he wasn't Bond instead of Pierce Brosnan.

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
I'd actually like them to recast Connery or one of the old Bonds. They've now done his origin story for some demented reason, so let's also show how it ends.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Anything is better than having Daniel Craig as Bond. Personally don't find him fitting for the role.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
I say, go with someone who's not well known.

Hardly anyone knew who Craig was before he was cast.
If you weren't a B-movie fan, you had no idea who Brosnan was before Goldeneye.
The biggest things Dalton was in before Living Daylights was Ms. Doubtfire and Flash Gordon and he wasn't the lead in either of them.

If I had to choose now, I would go with someone like Dan Stevens.
That guy is a star in the making, he'll land a big franchise sooner or later, Bond or not.

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
In the books, Bond is described as a British white male who's 35 years old. He does NOT start out as suave and debonair. And as ex-military (a WWII pilot in the novels) he's disciplined but somewhat rough around the edges. He only matures into the cool character we've become accustomed to about midway through the series

I personally think Connery and Craig do this original Bond the most justice.

Out of all the choices above, I think Idris Elba would be the best spiritual embodiment of Bond. However, I don't think Bond should be race or gender flipped.

And I'll throw down that I'm a "person of color" as well, so it has nothing to do with race as much as being true to the way the character was written.

(And yes, I was annoyed when CBS made Sherlock Holmes an Asian American woman. He's a British man, damnit!)

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
gunny1993 said:
Daniel Radcliffe .... really? He cant act well at all, he has one facial expression of mopey angst that would never cross Bonds face in a million years
Are you getting him mixed up with Robert Pattinson or something? Spending the entire film being "mopey" isn't what that comes to my mind when I think of the man who used to be Harry Potter, although I realize I have clearer memories of the earlier ones.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Out of these five, I'd probably go with Radcliffe or Jackman - the first can bring something new to the table and is just a good actor I would like to see more of in general, the second can be a nice comeback to Brosnan years.

gunny1993

Jun 26, 2012
Steve the Pocket said:
gunny1993 said:
Are you getting him mixed up with Robert Pattinson or something? Spending the entire film being "mopey" isn't what that comes to my mind when I think of the man who used to be Harry Potter, although I realize I have clearer memories of the earlier ones.
Nope Radcliffe, he spends every film pulling the same face like he's a mixture of confused and scared, I literally burst out laughing in the cinema when he found out Dumbledore had been playing him for years. Only other film I saw him in was Woman in black where he was exactly the same, maybe i've only seen him in bad films but as far as i've witnessed he is a very mediocre actor.

Maybe its just the stuff he's in, Harry Potter is a character of exposition and doesn't really have much character anyway, not to mention being heavily upstaged by the A+ talent from the supporting class and women in black being just mediocre, but I have very little faith in him.