5 Game Endings that are worse than Mass Effect 3

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
Fall out 3s ending really did piss me off.

Its one thing to be forced to do something because you have no other choice. Its another thing to see a better choice staring you literally in the face and yet you can't do it because the developers didn't consider it or didn't want to put it in.

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
I`ll have my time with ME2 (it`s great fun so far) and i`m gonna skip ME3. I`ll read carefully about the next Bioware title if they won`t fuck it up next time they`ll get a new chance.
The whole i-net vibe i get from ME3 is like a serious war movie where the last ten minutes gci animated space monkeys settle the score out of context. I won`t invest hours of gameplay to wittness this kind of crap.(sorry, english isn`t my native language andd i hope you all get what i`m trying to say here)

MGS2 was really bad and after playing 3 i felt i`m not into Kojimas crappy, boring storytelling anymore. There`s a limit when it comes to pseudo intelectual sience blah blah i can listen to and a story and it`s ending are pretty important to me.

Generally i like the simple Rockstar stories (beginning, middlepart, ending). Good written (not always likeable) characters get into situations and you as the player deal with it and see what happens next.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
rcs619 said:
Drakengard

I have never seen a game that hated its player as much as Drakengard did. Every one of its endings involved some kind of Twilight Zone twist, and were generally unsatisfying (...much like the entire game turned out to be by the end). There's also the secret ending, which takes hours to unlock by finding ALL 100+ of the game's hidden weapons (some of which are literally impossible to find without a guide's help). All you get is a mindfuck of an ending involving gigantic flesh-eating space-babies from another dimension, a 1000ft tall pregnant space-woman who gives birth to them, a final battle that draws you and your talking, fire-breathing dragon into modern-day Tokyo to challenge the pregnant eldritch space-momma to a rhythm game...which, if you win, just ends up with your character getting blown out of the air by a sidewider missile from a jet. The final image of the secret ending is of your dead dragon impaled on Tokyo tower, bleeding and with huge chunks blown off by the missile.

Drakengard is kind of beautiful in that way though. It is a game that hates being played, and hates you, the player, for trying. lol
Thing about Drakengard though: Yeah, the endings are bad but let's be honest..what were we to expect? Here's literally a game that's about a psychotic mute with a love of murder out to do battle against a possesed six year old girl leading an Empire. First ending was rather bittersweet, but ultimately did give some closure in a way. Endings two and three were weak, even i ain't going to defend them (ESPECIALLY ending 3). 4 and 5 are just mind-fucks, plain and simple, although i enjoy bringing them out to traumatise escapists when i can.

And, honestly, as this was a game that set out to not so much defy the 'JRPG' Mould as beat it within an inch of it's life then leave it to bleed to death in a back alley on the dark side of the moon..i really have to respect it, including the endings.

Naturally, we all have opinions on this game and if you didn't like the endings that's perfectly fine and i won't deride you on it but...again, i do have to ask, in a game like Drakengard that's already so fucked up, the endings didn't jar to the extent of ME 3.

Terminate421 said:
But then again.....this one was worse than that one:

WHY DID YOU MAKE ME REMEMBER THAT ABOMINATION!? Excuse me a moment...

Bruenin

Nov 9, 2011
Zeckt said:
Fallout 3, why can't you send the ghoul, robot or Super mutant in there?! I mean, seriously?
I was able to send the super mutant... Is my game special or something?

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Half-Life 2 and Digital Devil Saga weren't that bad. Ok, they weren't perfect, but they weren't as bad as ME3's ending.

Half-Life 2 played on HL1's ending and was a bit of a letdown, although you do complete what you set out to do in the start.

The part that pissed me off was "he says we have to fight him!". Why? Why would we even have to do that? I thought you explained to him that we kind of don't want to have our planet dissolved and sent into space.

Other than that, think about the references in the game. Both games are SOAKED in Hindu and Buddhist mythology. Schroedinger was a bodhisattva, which is how (he?) enlightens Seraph so (they?) can reach nirvana.

The rest of the party (including Serph and Sera, for some reason) wasn't able to reach enlightenment and was reborn. Technically, this should be a bad ending (samsara? anyone?), but since the world stopped being destroyed and people stopped turning to stone, I guess it's happy. Wouldn't be Atlus if it completely agreed with any ideology aside from existentialism anyway.

Why they look like their (fake) childhood selves is a totally different question. If I had to guess, it's because they kicked the shit out of god and made it rebuild earth.

I didn't think it was that unclear. It's not groundbreaking and incredibly well-written, but it doesn't deserve to be called the worst ever. Agree with the rest of them, though. FF XIII-2 is especially dire.

To add to the list, Pariah is one game with possibly the worst ending I have ever played. I have no idea what happened, other than it being terrible.

woodaba

May 31, 2011
poiumty said:
woodaba said:
Shock! Horror! Blasphemy! How dare I criticize Half-Life? Well, before the massive Episode 1 retcon
Bro, I don't think retcon means what you think it means. Mostly because there was no retcon. Episode 1 just starts right after HL2.

Also I disagree on HL2 and Fallout 3. HL2 wasn't the last game in the series, so a cliffhanger ending (you know, like ME2) was okay. Fallout 3 at least offered some closure and closed the purified water storyline.

You should probably review the ME3 ending outside of the vacuum in which you're considering it now. It wasn't lame by itself, it was lame because of what it represented.
1.There was a retcon. Half Life 2 makes it abundantly clear that Gordon is back in stasis. Episode 1 retcons it so that the Vortigaunts save Gordon before that happens...somehow.

2.Fallout 3's ending failed because it didn't make any sense, and went against everything Fallout 3 stood for, by offering you virtually no choice.

3. ME3's ending WAS lame by itself. It makes no damn sense.

woodaba

May 31, 2011
Forlong said:
You obviously haven't played a bad game start to finish if you think those are the worst. Not that I blame you.
I never said these were the worst, mate. These were just the endings that came to mind. I have no doubt there are worse endings, like Ghostbusters NES, but these are just 5 bad endings.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
Char-Nobyl said:
But when you put it alongside the entire ME series? It becomes worse. It was such a stark contrast with the rest of the game and series that it became terrible beyond its components. If the previously mentioned game endings were tantamount to being betrayed and shot by some dude you didn't know, the ending of ME3 was like that, only the person doing the betraying was your best friend, a close sibling, or a parent. The action itself is still the same, but the source of that action matters oh so very much.
I like how this writer puts it

The answer to that question is only a matter of personal taste if you?re someone without any. Yes, for those keeping score at home: the ending matters! Especially in the case of Mass Effect 3 since it redefines the entire experience . . . in about the same way being left at the altar by a spouse ditching you for your mom redefines a relationship.
source

http://calitreview.com/24673

Ravenbom

Oct 24, 2008
No one seems to remember that the beloved Final Fantasy 7 had a crap ending. Fans complained about it so much that a lot of reviewers noted that the ending to FF8 spent a LONG time wrapping up everyone's story in a neat bow leaving absolutely no room for complaint.

I love FF7 as well but it did have a crap ending.

Cliff hanger endings always suck. Like God of War 2 and Halo 2. I never played either one of those games in protest. I just made my friend tell me what happened and I skipped those games.

I know they aren't beloved games (I love 'em though) but the ending to the Armored Core games always suck. You fight for these corporations in mechs until you choose a side, that side wins then you find out they were all being controlled by some machine the whole time to put humans in a constant state of war. And they just keep reusing that same plot.

Then there's Drakengard's ending. Remember, this is from the heyday of Square-Enix when we all thought they could do no wrong.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97GDQOBLk6E
Keep in mind the above link is the ending to a game where you ride a dragon then go on foot to slash through hordes of enemies with a giant sword.

woodaba

May 31, 2011
Ravenbom said:
Then there's Drakengard's ending. Remember, this is from the heyday of Square-Enix when we all thought they could do no wrong.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97GDQOBLk6E
Keep in mind the above link is the ending to a game where you ride a dragon then go on foot to slash through hordes of enemies with a giant sword.
That has scarred me for life.

Well, apparently we have that ending to thank for giving us NiER, so at least one good thing came out of it.

Raziello

Jul 22, 2010
DoPo said:
RJ 17 said:
DoPo said:
Also, Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen 2 same as above. Well, maybe not, as the ending was relatively OK. It's just that the entire game sucked more than fifty consecutive ME3 endings.
Hey now...I actually liked Blood Omen 2! Wasn't my favorite game out of the series but I still enjoyed it.
It's riddled with plotholes. Even if you take it isolated from the rest of the series, the guys who made BO2 didn't keep consistent with themselves. The rest of the plotholes are worse. The gameplay is tedious and boring. The fights are tedious and boring. Also, they don't make much sense - weapons break only when Kain holds them. If you think about the puzzles you'll realise they were designed by a complete lunatic (possess a person, pull a lever, lever and person blow up. WHO WOULD HAVE THAT?). Any suspension of disbelief goes out of the door when even the most ordinary peasant survives three consecutive stabs in the stomach. And by stab, I mean they were fully impaled on a broad sword UP TO THE HILT.

Three of those. You have to do this thing three times before the lowliest of mortals die. And you need them to die to drink their blood an increase the blood lore. And drinking blood becomes boring and tedious after the fifth time you do it. Too bad you have to do it another a thousand times until the game ends.

There is more. The only remotely good thing I can say about the game is that the stealth kills were satisfyingly brutal.

If they did keep the game not LoK, as it was initially intended, it would still have been a bad game, just not a disaster as it is now.
Defiance Kindly Repaired Most of the Plot holes of Blood Omen 2, granted there were still a few hanging around but as the series was so good generally you just let them go or came up with your own possible explainations. The Ending of Blood Omen 2 nicely wrapped itself up more or less and still left things open for the future games, judging by the reviews the game as a whole wasnt popular but the ending certainly wasnt spectactually bad.

Im suprised no one has mentioned C&C4 and its abysmal ending. A Game Marketted to finally reveal all the secret ongoings and motivations for various things and wrap up most of the various plot threads. A game that actually gave us next to no plot, ignored as many as possible previously established events and then to top it all gave us a goodbye wave as after only a few missions where [spoiler = Spoiler] Kane Goes Home in a short cutscene with little explanation and many loose plot threads[/spoiler]

NubiJuan

Aug 1, 2010
I tend not to finish games. Saves me the disappointment of experiencing the ending and gives my imagination and creativity a nice workout.