5 Games to Introduce Somebody to Gaming

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
LookingGlass said:
Anyone who doesn't mention Mario Kart 64 is doing it wrong. It's impossible not to like that game, hardcore gamer or first-timer.
Your fucking right! I completely forgot about that, perfect game to introduce most people into the racing genre I believe.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Bioshock...on easy of coarse

its the game that got me into gaming, and after that i started taking this shit seriousl, before I still thourght games werent quite ont he same level as books or movies...but oh the potential

Maxi96203

Dec 23, 2010
Start off retro

Super Mario Brothers 3

Then classic

Elder Scrolls 2: Daggerfall

Then old

Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind

Then Modern

Warhammer 40k, Dawn of War II

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Jak and Daxter
Halo 1
Oblivion
Ratchet and clank
Pokemon sapphire/ruby/emerald

They are they games that basically made me a gamer with the exception of oblivion which is just a good game.

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
Hmm...

Portal (yeah of course)
Street fighter 4 (yeah street fighter 2 is better but still...)
New super mario bros. wii
Any call of duty after 4
...mario kart wii.

To be honest it's very easy to come up with new games. I think it's worth avoiding strategy games unless they like other sorts of strategy games like chess, ESPCIALLY RTS games, since they are one of the harder genres to get a grip of. I think it's only worth doing that if they have an interest in those kind of games beforehand.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Stealthygamer said:
Tetris

Portal

Jak 3

Super Mario World

Kirby Superstar

Dreiko said:
Persona 3:FES
Wait are you suggesting that someones first game should be P3:FES? They would get their ass handed to them on a silver platter even on easy
Did you not get your ass handed to you when you first started playing games? Did that adversely affect how much you like games? I started on sonic, a game with a crushing defeat sound and your entire level's worth of rewards being lost in front of your face every time you touched an enemy or a spike...and you know what, that made the times I beat the level without ever losing any rinks all the more satisfying.

Persona 3 was recommended mainly for the story, in this style of game it is easier for a non-gamer to figure out how to win than with a game that demands reflexes which a budding gamer has not yet developed. Even if you need to look down at the controller for a bit, you will still win at persona if you understand the system of the game which is something that you need to study as you play the game, which is a skill I believe every new gamer should start building a soon as possible. It's much better than plopping someone down in an FPS with things flying around and explosions everywhere and expecting them to somehow surpass their sensory overload and start playing normally.

Contrary to popular belief, getting your ass handed to you is not a negative element. It is in fact often the opposite, you strive to get better and in doing so you discover another way of having fun and if you love a story and want to see what happens, that's going to motivate you even further to try and beat that one hard boss. I believe persona 3: fes achieves all of the above quite well.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Fable II and/or Fable III (easy games that are fun)
Zelda: Skyward Sword (even though I haven't played it I think newcomers will pick it up quickly)
Portal 1 and/or Portal 2 (good introduction to FPS)
Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 (fun games that cater for both beginners and experts)
Mass Effect 1 and 2 (after the previous games this is the next logical step)

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
I'd pretty much recommend any Nintendo game. They give you the impression that they're easy and have good tutorials, but most of them are actually really freaking hard.

Somewhat in this order:

1. New Super Mario Bros
2. DK Country
3. Mario Galaxy 2
4. Zelda TP
5. Metroid Corruption

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
Mount & Blade: Warband for tactical RPGs.
Far Cry 2 because same reason as OP.
League of Legneds for a basic MOBA game.
GTA:Vice City for humor, atmosphere, story and character.
Gran Tourismo 5 for racing games.

ACman

Apr 21, 2011
Portal/Portal 2 and Half life 2 have been mentioned to death in this thread so I'm going to go off on a different tangent.

Uncharted (I'm not into them but I cans see why the cinematic nature of these appeals.)
Pikmen (It's like gardening.)
Bastion or any other hack n slash.
Resident Evil 4 on the Wii.

Neptune's Pride !!!! Fucking slow but god it's worth it.

(Can't stop playing this game. Or at least I can't stop checking into it every half hour. It's made me into a conniving, devious, paraniod, politiking, psychopath with irregular sleep patterns because I have to get up and transfer ships into a fleet to transport them across the galaxy head off ivasions, intimidate other factions or resupply my own fleets making incursions into others territory all the while sending cash and tech to dubious allies in the hope that they might attack a mutual enemies flank.

thespyisdead

Jan 25, 2010
my picks:

shooters
UT99-04
half-life
mass effect 2

strategy:
Rome:TW(has some learning curve involved)

RPG
Oblivion (or Morrowind)

Racers:
FlatOut

6_Qubed

Mar 19, 2009
Here's a game I'd like to use to introduce my girlfriend to videogames: Terarria.

For those of you who don't know about it, it is basically a 2D metroidvania Minecraft that's on Steam for real cheap. So yeah, right away, this is a PC title. However, be not dissuaded by the pixely graphics, for the aesthetics are eye-catching and vibrant, there's stuff to do that doesn't involve killing things (though we can certainly consider combat later), and best of all it's co-op, so she wouldn't be in it by herself.

Personally, I haven't played the game but it looks like a lot of fun, and I think being in a position to learn a game along with her would even the playing field a bit in terms of gamer know-how.

Plus she's a sucker for rainbows and junk so I'd help her find paint as soon as we could.

markisb

May 31, 2010
portal /portal 2 (obviously)

call of duty 4 (single player)

battlefield bad co 2 (for multiplayer)

command and conquer 3 (i always liked it)

grand theft auto: san andreas / grand theft auto 4 (nice story and sand box/game play)

fall out 3 (nice rpg / sandbox)

far cry 2 is a horrible choice. fc2 has repeatative game play that gets old very quickly and the story isnt good enough to make you keep playing.*

* wasn't good enough to make me keep playing

Connor Lonske

Sep 30, 2008
dayjack01 said:
And a good sandbox game is GTA San Andreas
I don't think a new player to gaming will be able to follow the train, CJ.

OT: My choices would be Fable 3, Minecraft, Left 4 Dead, The Orange Box(because only giving them a fifth of the great games is criminal), Left 4 Dead, Fable 3, and Scott Pilgrim vs. The World the Game (H3 H3 H3).

Oh, and I Wanna Be Your Guy, the movie, the game! (H3H H3H H3H)

General Michi

Sep 12, 2010
In order of how I'd introduce them:

Peggle

Plants vs Zombies

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Abe's Oddysee

........................................portal

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Plants vs Zombies

Rock Band

Super Mario Galaxy

Portal

Uncharted 2 (Very Easy Difficulty)

All the above games are simple to pick up and have gradual learning curves. There are different types of games in the list so hopefully the new gamer can find a style they like.
RPG introduction: Final Fantasy 13
RTS introduction: Starcraft 2 (easiest difficulty single player)
FPS introduction: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
Mobile introduction: Angry Birds
Sandbox introduction: inFamous

Kalado

I'm in Spaaaaaaaace
May 6, 2009
After thinking some more, I dont know why but:

League of Legends.

I have met so many people who never played a game in their live but the started to play this game with friends and then had hundreds of ingame hours in it.

Spongebobdickpants

Oct 6, 2009
Plants vs Zombies (very simple game thats really addictive)
Portal (basic analog controls plus fun plus its funny)
Portal 2 (portal but more of it)
Terraria (slow pace + progression)
Any Dual Stick shooter (those are damn easy and fun)

Also depending on the person if they are patient i'd say LoL is really good aswell.

God i've played it so much im 1900+ solo q rating 0.o