5 Gory, Required Viewing Adult Halloween Movies

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
5 Gory, Required Viewing Adult Halloween Movies

You start hanging up fake spiders in your house in March and your dinner guests will ?lose? their invitations, but around Halloween it?s time to be as gross and terrifying as possible.

Read Full Article

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
A fine list!

I just have to disagree with your comment in The Thing's paragraph, the American horror standard of "don't hurt the kids, don't hurt the animals"- killing off the dog/cat/pet has been a staple of 'early-in-the-film-ramping-up-the-violence-slash-showing-how-totally-serious-the-situation-is' in horror since, well, horror movies, I guess.

Kids are a bit of a no- no, though, for the most part, yes. But some did break that mold in awesome ways- like the remake of The Blob, for example.

kris40k

Feb 12, 2015
the December King said:
Kids are a bit of a no- no, though, for the most part, yes. But some did break that mold in awesome ways- like the remake of The Blob, for example.
Feast [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0426459/?ref_=nv_sr_1] did that too, but it pretty much made an example to set up and break all the rules in the first fifteen minutes of that movie.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
kris40k said:
the December King said:
Feast [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0426459/?ref_=nv_sr_1] did that too, but it pretty much made an example to set up and break all the rules in the first fifteen minutes of that movie.
Yeah, Feast really wanted to be the edgiest kid on the playground, didn't it? I didn't care for it much, but watched it and the second one anyways. Had a few laugh moments.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, those are all classics and seem to me to fall under no brainers. To me I think I'd go with some slightly different suggestions such as:

In no particular order

1. Prince Of Darkness (John Carpenter)
2. The "Demons" Trilogy (Dario Argento)
3. Night Of The Demons (the original one)
4. Trick R Treat (intentionally goofy but fun)
5. Grave Encounters I and II

I'd also consider the "Saw" movies a serious recommendation, while they get criticisms for gore (which I love!), and did get tired towards the end, I think these became such a phenomena by doing their job and taking people out of their comfort zone big time.

Speaking of which last year someone here mentioned a movie called "Screamhouse" or something similar (that isn't the title) which was getting decent marks in the indie circuit apparently. Something to do with sorority girls setting up a funhouse and getting murdered "Saw" style by people they had wronged. Been trying to figure out the title so I could check it out since I long ago lost the original message (shortly after I read it). Maybe someone here can give me a hand.

One of the things I frequently lament is that it seems that there aren't very many good (or even bad but amusingly campy) horror movies being made nowadays, almost all of them seem like serious disappointments. I'm a genera fan and admit I've felt increasingly starved of material in recent years.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
the December King said:
kris40k said:
the December King said:
Yeah, Feast really wanted to be the edgiest kid on the playground, didn't it? I didn't care for it much, but watched it and the second one anyways. Had a few laugh moments.
I thought FEAST was more of a comedy than a serious horror movie. I mean cripes, think of how the third movie ended (along with that song). I suppose the gore and stuff does put it in a niche of it's own however since I'd imagine you'd have to be a horror fan to appreciate it.

Billy Buttkicker, chance of survivial 125% ... things in that vein require certain traits to be present in the audience in order to work. :)

Mild Spoiler

I mean WTF was up with the giant robot stepping on the guy in the finale. :)

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Therumancer said:
In no particular order

1. Prince Of Darkness (John Carpenter)
2. The "Demons" Trilogy (Dario Argento)
3. Night Of The Demons (the original one)
4. Trick R Treat (intentionally goofy but fun)
5. Grave Encounters I and II

I'd also consider the "Saw" movies a serious recommendation, while they get criticisms for gore (which I love!), and did get tired towards the end, I think these became such a phenomena by doing their job and taking people out of their comfort zone big time.
Loved Grave Encounters one and two, really fun movies. And Prince of Darkness is also a classic, good call. Trick R Treat was surprisingly entertaining! Saw, however, I can't get behind, really. I just didn't really enjoy them (well, the first two, anyways, I certainly didn't see the rest of them).

And by the way, I agree that the Feast was more of a Horror/Comedy, a sort of comedy for horror fans, heavy on the gore and breaking of cliches and traditions common to the genre.

That robot thing stomping those survivors was pretty much the only part of the third movie I saw.

I spit up pop I laughed so hard.

It just seemed so... fitting.

...I wasn't even drinking pop at the time...

kris40k

Feb 12, 2015
Yeah, Feast was definitely a horror/comedy type with a bunch of laughs and gross-out or over-the-top moments (poor, poor Harley Mom). So was its sequels.

Which isn't to say that horror comedy isn't good. I mean Feast doens't make it on my "must-see horror movies" or "classic" list, while something like The Cabin in the Woods[footnote]which I think does a better job of trope busting[/footnote] does. Shawn of the Dead as well. While it may not be a great flick, I consider it a must see for anyone who loves the zombie apoc genre.

On the topic of killing children [footnote]in horror movies/TV...hello NSA![/footnote], my girlfriend noped the fuck out of the room during the earlyThe Walking Dead episode where Rick comes across the zombie kid walking between the cars. She one of the ones that can't really handle dead children in things.

EiMitch

Nov 20, 2013
One thing about Night of the Living Dead which I feel should've been mentioned is that it's in the public domain. You can go watch it on YT in it's entirety for free and it's 100% legal. Just make sure it's the original b&w 68 version, not the skipable 3d remake from the 80s.