5 Pixar Movies That Make Guys Cry

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
5 Pixar Movies That Make Guys Cry

Think family movies can't be tearjerkers? Think again, because these Pixar flicks will break your heart.

Read Full Article

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Firefilm said:
2. Up
You know, this film is great once you get past the beginning.
Surely there is a better way of phrasing that. The beginning was the best part as you explained in the second paragraph. Emotionally powerful stuff without a single word being said. The rest of the movie is pretty typical fun/silly Pixar stuff....not bad, but certainly not "great". The beginning is what MADE the film great.

Overall the list is good. I wouldn't have put Cars on my list because I just didn't like the movie, but I understand why it's there.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Man, the original 10 Pixar movies all had some great emotional moments.

One of my favorites, not mentioned here, is the one scene near the end of the Incredibles. I assume no spoiler warning should be necessary at this point, but just in case: Consider yourself warned.

The scene when the family first gets back to town and is readying themselves to fight the Omnidroid. When Mr Incredible is trying to get his wife to wait while he fights the monster and he reveals that he couldn't bear to lose them again. It's a scene handled so well, with so much "real" built into it. It's a scene that has made me bawl every time I watch it. I know how Bob felt in that moment, all too well. And it speaks to me every time.

Man, I loved the Incredibles. Probably my favorite Pixar movie. Up and Wall-E are heavy hitters, but Incredibles is just full of great moments and memorable scenes.

D3s_ToD3s

Jan 17, 2012
That second page gave me PTSD.

Don't try to think about the rest of humanity in the end of Wall-E.
Was there only one Spaceship remaining? So thats the depressing rest of mankind?

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
Batou667 said:
No mention of Monsters Inc? I blubbed like an idiot at the ending.
Indeed. I would handily replace Cars with Monsters Inc. Having to give up time with a kid you love? *sniff*

Toy Story 3 is the clear winner. Not only did I cry, I cried for a duration.

But Cars? Cars was terrible. Agoraphobic cars who whine about life speeding past them, but never go outside of their safe town? Shallow protagonist, idiotic sidekick, no real villain other than a vague whine of not enough nostalgia. That movie was an homage to inbreeding, isolationism, and ignorance. At best, it's a Doc Hollywood knock-off and not a very good one. If a tear came to my eye it was only because of how terrible it was. Ratatouille and Bug's Life are probably the most forgettable of the Pixar movies, but I find Cars to be the worst Pixar film (with the caveat that Cars 2 is the only Pixar film I haven't seen, and to most accounts it was even worse than Cars).

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
What an odd article. What's so special about movies that makes guys cry?

Dying_Jester

Jul 17, 2014
I must have a cold stone heart because the last time I cried at any sort of animated movie was The Black Cauldron. Also the last time I cried at any movie was when it is a D-Day/Normandy Beach scene...gets me every time.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Man, the original 10 Pixar movies all had some great emotional moments.

One of my favorites, not mentioned here, is the one scene near the end of the Incredibles. I assume no spoiler warning should be necessary at this point, but just in case: Consider yourself warned.

The scene when the family first gets back to town and is readying themselves to fight the Omnidroid. When Mr Incredible is trying to get his wife to wait while he fights the monster and he reveals that he couldn't bear to lose them again. It's a scene handled so well, with so much "real" built into it. It's a scene that has made me bawl every time I watch it. I know how Bob felt in that moment, all too well. And it speaks to me every time.

Man, I loved the Incredibles. Probably my favorite Pixar movie. Up and Wall-E are heavy hitters, but Incredibles is just full of great moments and memorable scenes.
I love the Incredibles too, which is why it's hard for me to reconcile it's conservative, almost Randian themes. What do you do when you love a movie but disagree with it's core message? Oh well. It's also probably the most realistic depiction of superheroes in film, at least in terms of how people and society react to them.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Redlin5 said:
Up is easily my Pixar material of choice when it comes to manly tears.
That's the only Pixar movie u haven't gotten yet, must rectify this asap. To JB HIFI!

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
I really didn't find myself liking Cars all that much, but it was alright. In truth, Pixar is very good on the "great-to-crap" ratio, and there are tons of there movies I like and many that I find made me sad and happy.

However, I really, -really- don't get the 'Nazi Germany vibe' thing the OP is on about with regards to Toy Story 3. It's definitely a prison or dictatorship situation, but doesn't make me think 'Nazi's'. It doesn't really fit onto the mold.

The animated movies that have affected me most, however, surprisingly for me, where Dreamworks - Kung-Fu Panda 1 and 2. Yes. I'm serious. As a dad, there are several moments in the 2nd movie, and one moment in the first that actually brought tears to my eyes.

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
Olas said:
I love the Incredibles too, which is why it's hard for me to reconcile it's conservative, almost Randian themes. What do you do when you love a movie but disagree with it's core message?
Yeah, I have a huge problem with Mr. Incredible's berserk button being "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if everyone could fly and have super powers? You'd be less special, but humanity as a whole would be awesome". It turns him into a version of Magneto, convinced of his own vast superiority by virtue of birth. But unlike Magneto, who periodically plans to turn regular humans into mutants, Mr. Incredible will actively fight against having to share being superior.

I mean, if Syndrome hadn't killed a bunch of supers and just sold his designs instead, he'd be the hero. He turns evil largely because Mr. Incredible treats him as an inferior being, but by the end of the movie, Mr. Incredible is clearly still seeing regular humans as inferior, setting up future Syndromes.

As to what you do, I think just acknowledge the problems with it and enjoy the rest of it. Kinda like I do with Lovecraft's racism or some games' sexism. :p

PilgrimScott_III

Sep 28, 2011
D3s_ToD3s said:
That second page gave me PTSD.

Don't try to think about the rest of humanity in the end of Wall-E.
Was there only one Spaceship remaining? So thats the depressing rest of mankind?
If I recall correctly, there was a moment in the closing credits that showed the spaceship sending out signals, quickly followed by more spaceships returning to Earth. It's not just the one ship left, that was just the first ship to find out that Earth was habitable again and actually return there despite their systems working against it.