50 Americanisms That Brits Apparently Hate

Shadie777

Feb 1, 2011
1) Some people should not insult or generalize the entire country after reading the opinions of a small number of people.

2)Some people don't like it when another culture seeps into their own (in this case its American English seeping into regular English).

OT:Some of the points in that article made sense, especially number 50.

fragmaster09

Nov 15, 2010
Pietato said:
"The one that always gets me is the American need to use the word bi-weekly when fortnightly would suffice just fine."

I can only picture this person, and most others on the list, wearing a top hat and monocle while sipping tea on their velocipede and discussing the current state of the East India Trading Company. Several of these are words and phrases I've never heard, being from the "Midwest" of the US, and if I have heard them, they've come from someone with an accent. A heavy accent.

I blame Texas.
Howdy! i'm mighty sure yer ster-ee-oh-type is right on the mark pardner!

had to there, you stereotype english like that, i make out the entirety of the US is from Nevada...

you ever heard the east Midlands Accent? or the Yorkshire Accent? the only one that is anything like the one you typed about was 1700's London... it's 2010, and not everyone is Cockney...

May 26, 2010
Mr Fatherland said:
I've got to say, "Math" instead of "Maths" rubs me up the wrong way. It's "Zed" and not "Zee", as in Zeb-ra as opposed to Zee-Bra. I say Trolley, always have, always will. To me a cart is what someone hitches onto the back of a car.

The one fellow countryman who deserves a punch in the jaw is the "Train Station" guy. It's a FUCKING train station, I bet he calls it a Locomotion Contraption Rendevous.
It is now a law and shit: ALL railway stations must now be referred to as places of Locomotion Contraption Rendevous. That was too awesome.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
So... I should just go dig up Billy Shakespeare and tell him that, "The mostest unkindest cut of all" just won't do?

Yokai

Oct 31, 2008
The only possible use for the British pronunciation of Z is referring to a zombie as a "zed head", which I have always rather liked. You people want to complain about a weirdly pronounced letter, what about H? Aitch? Really?

May 26, 2010
Leo257 said:
Maths is an abbreviation of mathematics, mathematics ends with an 's' but isn't a plural. At no time would anyone say 'mathematic', so it grates on some people when they hear hear 'math'.
Actually mathematics is a plural, just a plural of a concept with no all-encompassing singular word. You wouldn't talk about a mathematic because you would automatically be more specific, referring to Algebra, Geometry or the field of Imaginary numbers etc.

BuGGaTon

Feb 11, 2009
Stalk3rchief said:
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
I'm obviously American, and I'm also from the south. This article brings me the realization that if I were to talk to an English person, they would instantly hate me. The English I was raised on is very far from "proper".
And this is exactly the sort of thing "we English" hate.

1) you mean British
2) we're not all whiney fuckwits. Just some of us.

Stupid Canadian.

headphonegirl

The Troll under the bridge
Oct 19, 2009
I'm British and even I think this a bit silly.
I Don't blame the Americans for changing the English language I blame our chavs that bastardize the language even more.

fragmaster09

Nov 15, 2010
Kalezian said:
fragmaster09 said:
Kalezian said:
excellent, I now have a list of phrases to use when I troll anyone from England and Europe.

and then soon later, I WILL TAKE OVER THE WORLD!

...THROUGH TROLL SCIENCE!

and/or improper usage of grammar, whichever really...
no... i have troll repellant and English stiff-upper-lip abilities, THOU CANST NOT DEFEATETH ME!!!

cookies are a better name for the food than biscuits is.
get your grammar right before you troll...

you do realise that the American Accent, and words used therein, is what was used before the Independance Declaration, after which UK English adapted, unlike US English, which actually makes the UK more flexible and accepting to new ideas/cultures... which is why we never had Apartheid...

secretsantaone

Mar 9, 2009
To all you Americans taking this seriously:

British people love to complain about little things. It's a cultural thing. Noone's actually sitting there wringing their hands over someone thousands of miles away saying 'take-out', people here just like to have a bit of a moan and over-exaggerate. The 'stiff upper lip' only comes out when it's a serious problem.

fragmaster09

Nov 15, 2010
secretsantaone said:
To all you Americans taking this seriously:

British people love to complain about little things. It's a cultural thing. Noone's actually sitting there wringing their hands over someone thousands of miles away saying 'take-out', people here just like to have a bit of a moan and over-exaggerate. Thee 'stiff upper lip' only comes out when it's a serious problem.
true, that's why i get annoyed over overreacting to trolls, i just think 'these peole really need to nail some wood to their lip'

ParadoxHunter

May 12, 2011
It's not just in language. I went to my end of year ball, which is called a prom for some weird reason. The whole thing was an overglorified disco with a cliche balloon drop at the end. My Canadian teacher even did mock Oscars, for crying out loud.

I didn't ask for a proper ball because it's my duty as a British citizen to do so, but because I wanted something more substantial to take the piss out of. Everything my school does is doomed to fail, so it would have been funnier to watch them try to do a ball, rather than a prom. The only thing you could have made fun of at that thing was how Americanised it was. Seeing them do a poorly done ball would have been a treat to behold, especially with the aforementioned Canadian at the helm.

And before any of you have a go at me for not enjoying the "prom", it's because it was a bit like Duke Nukem Forever; loads of wait and hype for something you knew was going to suck badly, because so many people worked on it for a bit, before giving up and handing it over to the next guy. No really, it got so bad, they were considering cancelling the whole thing because no one wanted to be in charge of it.

On topic, some of those are legit, but others are just anal. Train station, really? I honestly can't think of an alternative to that, besides railway station, which is outdated by about fifty years, so it doesn't count.

shroomie

Mar 31, 2009
As an Englishman I feel some of those points are valid. But the guy who gets annoyed at Train Station is an idiot. What else are you supposed to call a place where you wait for a train?!

SemiHumanTarget

Apr 4, 2011
I think a huge number of these are things Brits think Americans say, but actually are not used that often. A lot of them also seem to be business expressions, and sorry England but, at least for now, we've kind of got you one-upped on that front. Others are just grammar mistakes that Americans also resent.

Number 27, by the way, "oftentimes"? Banquo used that in MacBeth.

Also, what the hell is with British people randomly deciding not to pronounce entire clusters of letters in a word, like in "worcestershire"?

Also, maths? Sorry, but "math" is not a contraction for "mathematics", just an abbreviation.

PekoponTAS

Mar 7, 2009
Most of these are really petty and not important, and really seem like just whining. Though to be fair, being Canadian I hate the whole "Zee" instead of "Zed" thing, and anyone who says "I could care less" should, to quote Garfield, "be drug out into the street and shot". I hate it even more when they throw it in games. Capcom and XSeed are particularity guilty of this. Capcom I'll let it slide because this IS the same company that made Mega Man Battle Network 5, which has the absolute WORST translation of any game ever, but XSeed? Really?

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
Loop Stricken said:
Katana314 said:
46. I will pronounce it "zed" as soon as you show me the letter D in the letter Z. All other letters have followed a recognizable pattern; a sound, and a vowel to help ease your tongue into it.
Show me the -ay in J. Show me the -ee in B, C, D, G, P and so forth.
...Really? I...JUST covered that in my post. The vowel is there to make it easier on your mouth. It would of course be stupid to spell something over the phone with just the 'b' sound, so they make it 'bee'. They just add a vowel so you can pronounce it. Keeping this consistency with 'bee', 'ell', 'arr', 'kay' (the 'ay' sound is a singular sound, with Y often being considered a vowel since your mouth does not form any full stops for it. Plus, "A" makes the -ay sound) makes it easier to learn. Then, they ruin that whole system with 'zed'. (And double-U)

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
Why must the British hate us American's, of course we reveloutionized from your country, killed a whole bunch of your soldiers, boycotted, sank your ships, humiliated you and made our own civilization while you were busy taxing the hell out of your people. But thats all in the past, right, RIGHT?

ultratog1028

Mar 19, 2010
Some I agree with (See 50.), Some I feel neutral about (35), and others are 'What the hell? But that is how we are taught that in school! You must be wrong!' (46). Then I am reminded which country actually created the language.