Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
Ickorus said:
DragonStorm247 said:
SecondPrize said:
DragonStorm247 said:
SecondPrize said:
Andy Chalk said:
"I'm real messed up in the head, I'm going to go shoot up a school full of kids and eat their still-beating hearts."
The first time I saw this story it was reported he ended the 'threat' with "LoL JK." Was that incorrect?
He did. People have just been carelessly omitting it.

Even without that addition, the whole thing is just dripping with sarcasm. Who else thinks the investigator for this case should be fired on grounds of incompetency?
I'm no scientist, but I find it's always jackass District Attorneys trying to move up in the District Attorney world who wind up prosecuting stuff like this.
Perhaps. But someone looked at this and made the judgement call, "Looks like teh terror to me, let's arrest his ass." That person is either incompetent or malicious, either way they should not be in the position to be able to do this.
I can understand them seeing it and looking into it but it's unbelievable that they arrested him and threw him in jail and then only a week or so later got around to searching his house and then left him in jail despite having absolutely no evidence suggesting he was serious and plenty pointing in the other direction.
My real problem is that the entire thing is OUT OF CONTEXT!!!!! IF you look at the entire conversation he was just shooting the shit and talking about a suicide run in IN A FUCKING GAME that would have been almost a sure fire way to lose. He was basically planning a Leroy Jenkins. Someone called him crazy and that was his response......

That is like taking the sentence "I want to stab that guy 100 times with my spy before he puts that fucking turret down again!!" Then just taking "I want to stab that guy..." and charging that person with attempted murder.

I seriously hate my country sometimes..... (shit that might get me snatched by the NSA)

Saladfork

Jul 3, 2011
As someone who does not take it well when someone tries to tell me what I can and can't say, I find what they did to this guy to be reprehensible to the highest degree. Nobody with a working frontal lobe and a basic understanding of English could look at that sentence and not immediately realize that he wasn't serious. The fact that not one person in charge of the process of arresting and holding him realized that this was borth ridiculous and blatantly immoral sincerely depresses me, and I hope that he gets the chance to sue everyone involved for the damages, psycological and physical, that he recieved during this entire farce.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
DragonStorm247 said:
SecondPrize said:
DragonStorm247 said:
SecondPrize said:
Andy Chalk said:
"I'm real messed up in the head, I'm going to go shoot up a school full of kids and eat their still-beating hearts."
The first time I saw this story it was reported he ended the 'threat' with "LoL JK." Was that incorrect?

Even without that addition, the whole thing is just dripping with sarcasm. Who else thinks the investigator for this case should be fired on grounds of incompetency?
I'm no scientist, but I find it's always jackass District Attorneys trying to move up in the District Attorney world who wind up prosecuting stuff like this.
Perhaps. But someone looked at this and made the judgement call, "Looks like teh terror to me, let's arrest his ass." That person is either incompetent or malicious, either way they should not be in the position to be able to do this.
Personally I would've arrested him too. Terrorism isn't something to dismiss so readily. But locking him up in a police cell while they searched his room/house and analysed exactly what he said, as well as an interrogation would have sufficed.

And he would have learned a good lesson out of it too.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
Wot?

I'm not mad that he's out or anything, I'm one of those people that thought jailtime was too much... but... someone just up and donated 500k? Even in the best scenario it's sketchy. Although, it might've been someone who won the lotto. That would make sense.

Still, 500k has strings attached. I wonder what it's going to cost him in the long run.

DragonStorm247

Mar 5, 2012
CardinalPiggles said:
DragonStorm247 said:
SecondPrize said:
DragonStorm247 said:
SecondPrize said:
Andy Chalk said:

Personally I would've arrested him too. Terrorism isn't something to dismiss so readily. But locking him up in a police cell while they searched his room/house and analysed exactly what he said, as well as an interrogation would have sufficed.

There's a difference between "come down to the station so we can do a quick search and ask you some questions" and an actual arrest, throwing him in a cell with actual criminals.

And what lesson is that? "Don't say anything ever?" I believe that's a terrible lesson.

JarinArenos

Jan 31, 2012
When this gets dismissed, I desperately want to see a massive civil suit brought against both the Attorney General's office and (assuming there was a reward given) the person who reported the post to Crimestoppers.

Section Crow

Infamous Scribbler for Life
Aug 26, 2009
I can see the satire in the comment, and hell if i bothered to look into the context i'd probably be proven right. This whole thing spews bullshit especially since we can all agree we all act very differently online than we do offline and from personal experience, we've all said some rather disturbing things.

Government knows if it stares into my long list of sarcastic comments i'm going to be trialed for some serious shit.

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
JarinArenos said:
When this gets dismissed, I desperately want to see a massive civil suit brought against both the Attorney General's office and (assuming there was a reward given) the person who reported the post to Crimestoppers.
No! Absolutely not! Well, sue the Attorney General and his office, sure, but you should NEVER make it punishable to be careful about crazy people. Anybody should be able to point out a potentially dangerous person and it's up to the authorities to act with discresion.

Norithics

Jul 4, 2013
What wasn't published was that the Good Samaritan in this case was The Kingpin, who will now extort favors from him in the form of humanity-altering experiments and finally be rid of that blasted Spider-Man!

DragonStorm247

Mar 5, 2012
Pebkio said:
JarinArenos said:
No! Absolutely not! Well, sue the Attorney General and his office, sure, but you should NEVER make it punishable to be careful about crazy people. Anybody should be able to point out a potentially dangerous person and it's up to the authorities to act with discresion.
That's a very tricky issue. If she only did it for the money (worse still, if she was fully aware of the sarcastic context), a suit might very well be justified. If she was simply a concerned (if severely ignorant) citizen then ... I suppose you are right, she should not be punished. But in either case I do not think should be rewarded for this either. Crimestoppers should ask her to return the money.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Pebkio said:
If they can prove to a jury that the report was done specifically for the cash reward, the Canadian in question should be on the hook for ruining a kid's life. IF this is the case, they should take the loons away from the loon.

KaZuYa

Mar 23, 2013
As soon as you jail someone for saying something you are a fascist society. He didn't incite or specifically target anyone. As soon as a nation brings in draconian laws which take peoples freedoms away you will have over zealous cretins abusing them. His Facebook account should of been closed for breaking the EULA and as a minor his parents informed then the matter should of been dropped.

DragonStorm247

Mar 5, 2012
KaZuYa said:
His Facebook account should of been closed for breaking the EULA and as a minor his parents informed then the matter should of been dropped.
Is clear sarcasm like this even prohibited in Faceboook's EULA?

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
major_chaos said:
Why? Just.. why? You know Mr. good Samaritan $500,000 can do a lot of things, buy you a new TV, feed the poor, make a giant fire if you get it all in singles, hell just roll it up and smoke that shit just to show how rich you are, anything is a more noble cause than getting this braindead little shit out of jail.
/phones FBI, tells them a person on a forum is encouraging the destruction of currency (destruction of currency is a Federal crime under 18 USC § 333. Anyone aiding, abetting, counseling, commanding or inducing the commission of an offense, is subject to the same punishment as the principal defendant under Federal law).

See how that works? This guy said something pretty tasteless on the internet without really thinking about it. Just like you just did, was he stupid? Certainly but he is no criminal and shouldn't have been arrested, I would agree a search of him and his property would have been a sensible precaution to see if he had any stockpiles of ammunition or weapons. Maybe see if he had any odd outfits or written plans or "manifestos" and anything else unusual, he did not deserve to be arrested or to be given such an extraordinary bail fee.

(The FBI thing is not serious, just making the point how easy it can be to say something someone can inadvertently or deliberately take offense to and report as a crime threat)

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
DragonStorm247 said:
SecondPrize said:
Andy Chalk said:

It probably wasn't careless so-much as intentional. The way that our "justice" system works is that if the cops can throw you in jail, they'll throw you in jail. There's good reason you're told not to say anything until your lawyer is present; it doesn't matter how innocent you are, if you say the wrong thing then you're toast. Not a single person in the precinct is going to care that you're innocent, because they got your quote, so it's case closed. Cops aren't about justice, they're about quotas. Throwing the wrong person in jail is a small price to pay for a solid arrest record.

Rufus Shinra

Oct 11, 2011
DragonStorm247 said:
KaZuYa said:
His Facebook account should of been closed for breaking the EULA and as a minor his parents informed then the matter should of been dropped.
Is clear sarcasm like this even prohibited in Faceboook's EULA?
Probably not, since Facebook hasn't restricted its membership to rocks.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
DragonStorm247 said:
CardinalPiggles said:
DragonStorm247 said:
SecondPrize said:
DragonStorm247 said:
SecondPrize said:
Andy Chalk said:

There's a difference between "come down to the station so we can do a quick search and ask you some questions" and an actual arrest, throwing him in a cell with actual criminals.

And what lesson is that? "Don't say anything ever?" I believe that's a terrible lesson.
Like I said, terrorism is serious. You don't "ask" a potential terrorist to "come down to the station".

If someone told you they were gonna shoot up a school full of children would you ask them to go down to the station and turn themselves in?

And the lesson is; don't say dumb shit.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
nathan-dts said:
I didn't really mean in terms of the threat to the school, which is, as you say, clearly zero.

What I meant was more, inflammatory and very insensitive. He could have made his point in a different manner.

DragonStorm247

Mar 5, 2012
CardinalPiggles said:
DragonStorm247 said:
CardinalPiggles said:
DragonStorm247 said:
SecondPrize said:
DragonStorm247 said:
SecondPrize said:
Andy Chalk said:

Like I said, terrorism is serious. You don't "ask" a potential terrorist to "come down to the station".

If someone told you they were gonna shoot up a school full of children would you ask them to go down to the station and turn themselves in?

And the lesson is; don't say dumb shit.
That's not what I said. It's not calling you and asking you to drive over there, its showing up at your doorstep and saying "We need to ask you some questions, come with us." Holding someone in a police station is very different from holding them in prison.

By the way, since when did we as a society start placing Columbine and 9/11 in the same category? "Terrorist" has just become a broad label used to incite justification for extreme measures at this point.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
This guy gets stuck in prison for making a (very stupid, incredibly tasteless) joke yet you have people like the westboro baptist church walking around spouting their bull shit all over the place. The British law system has many probelms but damn we have nothing on the USA.