$500,000 Donation Frees Jailed League of Legends Player

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
With half a million bucks, I'd be surprised if they couldn't afford a good enough lawyer to get him off the hook, or at least with a severely reduced sentence.

Personally, I think this whole case rankles of a definitive lack of freedom of speech. Fox News says stuff that's a greater terrorist threat every week.

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
major_chaos said:
Why? Just.. why? You know Mr. good Samaritan $500,000 can do a lot of things, buy you a new TV, feed the poor, make a giant fire if you get it all in singles, hell just roll it up and smoke that shit just to show how rich you are, anything is a more noble cause than getting this braindead little shit out of jail.
Stopping a gross miscarriage of justice from possibly ruining a young man's life forever because of incredible idiocy isn't noble enough? Keeping another innocent soul from incarceration in America's overburdened and incredibly dangerous prison system isn't "worthy" enough?

Machine Man 1992

Jul 4, 2011
Pinkamena said:
Do4600 said:
Monsterfurby said:
I don't get why people are so enamored with "freedom of speech". There's a reason all decent constitutions put the right to physical integrity and human dignity way ahead of that. Freedom of speech is a means to ensure that basic rights are guaranteed, not the end of those rights.

But I don't want to get into constitutional theory here. Let me just say that, if the authorities had done nothing and something HAD happened, they would have had to endure the shitstorm of voices asking "how could this happen" and "why did no one pay attention?"

I'd rather have it this way, but they already went overboard with it. They should clear the charges now and let him go.
Freedom of speech is a means to ensure rights. Freedom of speech also allows freedom of opinion in public life, freedom of opinion is central and essential to democracy. The moment you lose that right is the moment you no longer live in a democracy.

You want so badly to trade freedom for safety because the police would have to deal with questions? This comment is one of tens of thousands that are just as tasteless and just as "threatening". I could make one right now, and you would want the police at my house by the end of the day? For sarcasm? What's the charge officer? Sarcasm in the second degree!

This is paranoia, this is what paranoia looks like, this is the true grim dividend of our culture since "9/11" and it will destroy us far more readily than any bomb or plane ever could.
Thanks for putting my feelings about this matter into words. The fact that someone got jailed for obviously sarcastic "threats" is in my opinion a clear sign that the american people is starting to suffer from the terror paranoia.
"Starting"? We've been like this since '01, when we started keeping brown people off of planes and calling people wearing turbins and hijab "turrists!"

The Patriot Act was one of the more egregious acts of overblown, Orwellian paranoia, and the NSA has been spying on us for about a decade or so.