500 Trillion Watt Laser Breaks Records

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Wonder if this is the weapon we could use to protect the planet from asteroids. Also anyone know if a video of the laser firing exists?

EDIT: Lead scientist: I"M CHARGIN MY LAZER

LordOmnit

Oct 8, 2007
While it's really cool, I can't quite look past the minor problem in creating a star fusion reaction in the midst of your complex and expensive equipment. Hopefully they have some mechanical octopus arms.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
Xan Krieger said:
Wonder if this is the weapon we could use to protect the planet from asteroids. Also anyone know if a video of the laser firing exists?

EDIT: Lead scientist: I"M CHARGIN MY LAZER
*hits fire button* BWAAAAAAH!
I don't think there's any video of it firing, but here's a video about the facility itself:

FantomOmega

Jun 14, 2012
crepesack said:
Anyone else chuckle when they said it was "fully operational"?
If the "scientist" saying this was not wearing a dark cloak while saying "fully operational" I will be very disappointed...

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
draythefingerless said:
so....what happens when you point that thing at a living thing?
You know that bit from Prince of Space where the bad guy's ray gun destroys people, leaving only their hats behind?

OT: This is very cool. Now, if I might just borrow that for a little while... I just need to attach it to the LHC to finish my Dimension Gun. A-Class Criminal Kain got loose again and he's not easy to handle alone.

SpectacularWebHead

Jun 11, 2012
CardinalPiggles said:
Hmm, I wonder what would happen if we fired it into the sun?
Kaplooey?
I'm gonna go with Kaplooey.

Also, I would be very disappointed if the first guy who fired the laser didn't say "DOCTOR OCTAGONAPUS BLAAAAAAARG!"

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Since my friend works on the Higgs Boson and has a non-insignificant chance of tearing a hole in the fabric of space-time, I find giant death lasers a lot less scary than I used to.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
CardinalPiggles said:
Hmm, I wonder what would happen if we fired it into the sun?
Nothing.

Shine a laser pointer at the moon, and it will have spread out over that range to a spot size of about 500 square kilometers. And besides, this many photons is nothing to the sun. Sun wouldn't notice one iota. What is of note here is that they got all the lasers focused to a single target at nearly the same instant in time, and all that energy has to go somewhere- into fusion reactions.

bigdork

Nov 9, 2010
Well, if the beams lasted a second, it would release 500 TJ of energy, or about the equivalent energy of 120,000 tons of TNT (roughly). That would have taken a nice big chunk out of California. Instead, the beams last a small fraction of a second. At a millionth of a second, it's about 240 lbs TNT equivalent energy. At a nanosecond, about 1/4 lb TNT equivalent. The nanosecond beams would kill a human being, and the microsecond beams would Jackson Pollack everything for several dozen meters. If the beams lasted a picosecond, on the other hand, it might be survivable by a human being (probably blinding, but survivable).

The power alone isn't enough to tell, you also need the duration. I'd bet on something like a nanosecond.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
crepesack said:
Anyone else chuckle when they said it was "fully operational"?
Yes.

Hevva said:
their gigantic laser [https://lasers.llnl.gov/about/nif/about.php] that delivered over 500 trillion (500 terawatts) of power, 100 times more than any other laser tested to date.
Where do you get these figures from?

- The second sentence in the article says 60 times more than any previous laser system. Not 100.

- Nowhere in the article do they mention 500 terawatts. Or 500 of anything. Not even the word "watts" appears anywhere in the article.

Are you making this stuff up as you go?

edit: I see that you took these from the article at the Huffington Post... so maybe they are making stuff up as they go.

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
If this really does manage to ignite a stable fusion reaction, get ready for the next golden age of human prosperity.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
Every evil research laboratory just cannot be without a big friggin laser of indescriminate purpose. It's the law, or something.

Tales of Golden Sun

Dec 18, 2008
Hmm yeah as awesome as a giant laser is in concept, the thought of a real one kind of frightens me. No, scratch that, the thought of the military having access to a real giant laser frightens me. Mostly because I don't live in the US.