Jack Thompson Threatens NIU With Lawsuit

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Jack Thompson Threatens NIU With Lawsuit

Infamous videogame hater Jack Thompson has threatened Northern Illinois University [http://www.niu.edu/] with a lawsuit in relation to the killing of five students at the university last Thursday.

Thompson is seeking copies of "all documents that reveal Steven Kazmierczak's play of violent videogames," he said in a letter sent to the public safety department at NIU as well as to Virginia Tech University [http://gamepolitics.com/2008/02/18/jack-thompson-seeking-killers-video-game-history-threatens-niu-with-lawsuit/] - similarly trained on Counter-Strike to rehearse for their killing sprees."

"If I am not provided with this information," Thompson added, "I shall bring a civil action to secure these documents."

On February 14, Kazmierczak, 27, killed five people and then himself on February 14, three weeks after going off his anti-depression medication. His girlfriend, Jessica Baty, said he stopped taking the medication because "it made him feel like a zombie," but denied reports [http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1714069,00.html?xid=feed-cnn-topics]that he had been behaving erratically since then.

When contacted to confirm he had sent the letter, Thompson referred to Dennis McCauley of GamePolitics as an "idiot."

Raan_Amano

Feb 15, 2008
I'm...not...going to touch this.

Actually, I can't resist. This reminds me of a recent episode of SNL where there were these two people singing (horribly, I might add), and when it was over, someone who was listening said, "That just was." That's my statement for anything that is stupid beyond words. That Just Was.

Feb 13, 2008
Personally I'd like to see copies of "all documents that reveal Jack Thompson's play of violent videogames,"

I mean, he either has played them, and is rehearsing a crazed rampage.

Or he's never played them, and he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Sound sensible?

[Edit : Oh and IANAL but why does the University have files on what games people play, and what civil action can give personal details of someone to an unconnected party? Surely that's an infringement on the Right of Silence? And the Data Protection Act?]

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
The_root_of_all_evil said:
[Edit : Oh and IANAL but why does the University have files on what games people play, and what civil action can give personal details of someone to an unconnected party? Surely that's an infringement on the Right of Silence? And the Data Protection Act?]
If the University logs internet traffic its rather easy to se what games he has been playing online and if Mr Thompson is doing a criminal investigation, not showing them might be a "obstruction of justice".

Feb 13, 2008
sammyfreak said:
If the University logs internet traffic its rather easy to se what games he has been playing online and if Mr Thompson is doing a criminal investigation, not showing them might be a "obstruction of justice".
That's actually scarier than any school massacre...

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
sammyfreak said:
That's actually scarier than any school massacre...
I was just guessing so dont take my word for it, if somebody here has any legal experience in US could they give an opinion?

Sh0dan

Feb 18, 2008
Hmm actually the 2nd worst school shooting, and until the Virginia Tech incident the one that resulted in the most deaths took place in Dunblane, Scotland in 1996 I am pretty sure CS had nothing to do with that.....

sergeantz

Nov 4, 2007
sammyfreak said:
Jack Thompson isn't a district attorney; he's a douche. He has no authority to initiate a criminal investigation. That falls under either the state or federal judicial system, neither of which he is a part of.

Feb 13, 2008
That's starting to sound better. I know he got kicked out of one of the Conservative organisations for being too right-wing.

And he never did pay up, unlike Childsplay/Penny Arcade. Be interesting to see what Tycho says tomorrow.

Raan_Amano

Feb 15, 2008
Here's one for you: Yeah, Jack. Go right ahead and sue NIU. And all the gamers in the country will be showing up as expert witnesses for the University.

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
sergeantz said:
sammyfreak said:
Jack Thompson isn't a district attorney; he's a douche. He has no authority to initiate a criminal investigation. That falls under either the state or federal judicial system, neither of which he is a part of.
Excelent, but what would happen if distract attorney would press the case?

propertyofcobra

Oct 17, 2007
Let's all just silently ignore this and hope the lunatic goes away. Don't make eye contact, don't respond to him. Just ignore him entirely. We all know that he's a crazy idiot who wants every tragedy turned into part of his hate campaign. So let's just...yeah.

Ignore him.

REDPill357

Jan 5, 2008
I hope Florida revokes his bar soon.

This is just outright disgusting. If he uses 5 people dying to advance his career, he needs to be punished in a court of law.

Raan_Amano

Feb 15, 2008
propertyofcobra said:
Let's all just silently ignore this and hope the lunatic goes away. Don't make eye contact, don't respond to him. Just ignore him entirely. We all know that he's a crazy idiot who wants every tragedy turned into part of his hate campaign. So let's just...yeah.

Ignore him.
Bold plan. I commend you for it. Let's try it. /ignores Jack

WNxSajuukCor

Oct 31, 2007
propertyofcobra said:

Ignore him.
Hasn't it been the fact that ignoring him gives him more power over the people? The gaming community know he's nuts, but a nutty person with a megaphone can be a powerful person.

He's an ambulance-chasing lawyer with a bible. He'll be disbarred soon, but that won't stop him. For him to go after this tradegy and look for the little things that might shine light towards his way and a couple microphones from TV stations is disgusting. He has no respect for people when he goes after his own agenda.

Raan_Amano

Feb 15, 2008
WNxSajuukCor said:
propertyofcobra said:

Ignore him.
Hasn't it been the fact that ignoring him gives him more power over the people? The gaming community know he's nuts, but a nutty person with a megaphone can be a powerful person.

He's an ambulance-chasing lawyer with a bible. He'll be disbarred soon, but that won't stop him. For him to go after this tradegy and look for the little things that might shine light towards his way and a couple microphones from TV stations is disgusting. He has no respect for people when he goes after his own agenda.
I feel compelled to bring this up here. What is everyone's thoughts about a gaming lobby (as in political, DC-type lobbyist)?

sammyfreak

Dec 5, 2007
If its done properly a gaming lobby would be great. But it would be important that the people running it would be rather serius about it. If it wasent done properly it could further alienate the gaming industry.