Weird Sony Viral Video Teasing PS4?

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Weird Sony Viral Video Teasing PS4?

An odd viral video has hit the net that includes a tease for the "PS4."

Is Sony going to announce the PlayStation 4 soon? I'm going with no, considering how the company has stated that the PlayStation 3's life isn't even half over yet, but a very strange viral video has emerged that alludes to something called "PS4 V3.1."

The video opens in a mysterious facility in Tokyo. Japanese actors appear to be very disturbed about something. One is holding files and a walkie-talkie. One is very polite and doesn't forget to knock before entering a room. Another is wearing a lab coat and appears to be very confused.

The video takes viewers into an area where an experiment is being performed. Monitors and television sets display the Sony PlayStation logo. A man is laying on the floor motionless wearing some sort of glasses and tightly gripping what looks like a PlayStation 3 controller. He has an awfully high-pitched and creepy laugh. It ends with a screen that says "PS4 V3.1 - Please Wait A Moment."

Because this simply can't mean that Sony is announcing the PlayStation 4, we'll have to take the glasses on the crazy man as an obvious reference to Sony's future implementation of 3D in PlayStation 3 games, which will require the use of 3D glasses. As for what PS4 V3.1 means, it's probably a way for Sony to say that 3D will in-effect create such a new experience that it could be considered the PlayStation 4. Ideally, it won't turn us into laughing vegetables.

UPDATE: It turns out this clip was made for a school project, as discovered by Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5561758/the-director-of-the-ps4-viral-clip-revealed]. It was interesting anyway!

Via: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5557132/viral-video-teases-ps4-v31]

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
zelda2fanboy said:
A PS4 would make sense, considering I just bought a PS3 today.
Just bought mine last Thursday...

If that is what the PS4 does... I don't think I want one...

LeonLethality

Mar 10, 2009
That's crazy. And I hope to god that 3D idea is a joke and never happens. It will be a sad day when I quit gaming because 3D makes me physically ill.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
When he started laughing I was like "wtf?" and then I was like HE'S GONE MAD!

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
No I just got a PS3 3days ago

well maybe the PS4 will be a mix of the PS3, the upcoming 3D ability, and that Move thing

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
ProfessorLayton said:
zelda2fanboy said:
A PS4 would make sense, considering I just bought a PS3 today.
Just bought mine last Thursday...

If that is what the PS4 does... I don't think I want one...
dammit it didn't even lasted? are they going to rebuy our consoles when they will turn old?

plastic_window

Jun 29, 2008
ANImaniac89 said:

well maybe the PS4 will be a mix of the PS3, the upcoming 3D ability, and that Move thing
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Mind you, that's only if this actually turns out to be something real rather than just a little joke someone spent a lot of time making.

If it is just a joke, it's pretty well done. It's at least as wierd as Sony's adverts can sometimes be.

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
Well I'm sure it's just saying we're not ready for this. My wild guess is 3-D glasses; the image on the screen looked layered, and who where sunglasses indoors? Maybe they're not sunglasses...

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
plastic_window said:
ANImaniac89 said:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Mind you, that's only if this actually turns out to be something real rather than just a little joke someone spent a lot of time making.

If it is just a joke, it's pretty well done. It's at least as wierd as Sony's adverts can sometimes be.
I'm thinking that it's more like a major OS update similar to the "New XBox Experience" (or whatever it is called). Considering how low the expectations are after Home, it would be a welcome.

It will probably be released at the same time as the software to enable 3DTV interaction and Sony Move.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
I'd be ok with a PS4. The current console generation is getting a bit old imho...
But, I'm quite concerned that whatever Sony is trying to sell me will also mess me up like that guy in that (very creepy) vid.

Sir Kemper

Jan 21, 2010
Who the fuck desgines these ads? David Lynch?

First those fucked up scray baby ads, Then those one's about White (PSP'S) being better than black (PSP'S), and now this "PS4 WILL FUCK YOUR BRAIN" Ads.