Parents Angry Over Educational Videogame

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Parents Angry Over Educational Videogame

Parents in New Mexico are upset over an after-school program for kids that features an educational videogame they say is "feeding the addiction" to gaming.

Near the end of May, Action 7 News in Albuquerque, New Mexico, reported [http://www.koat.com/education/23704486/detail.html] on a popular new videogame that sixth-grade kids were playing in school after class. But there was a twist: The "high-action" game with "all the bells and whistles" is actually educational, requiring kids to use math skills ranging from basic properties to algebra in order to advance. Teacher Gary Bodman raved about the success of the program, saying, "It's unbelievable. You can see what's going on here, and this is for mathematics."

But some parents aren't as enthusiastic about the situation as Bodman. "We are feeding the addiction of these children to videogames," said parent Marlene Perrotte. She accused the game of being too violent for a school environment, claiming that the action was what the kids liked about it, not its educational value. "They were all excited... because of the violence," she added.

Bodman described the game as a "21st century flash card" and noted that it simply reinforces what the students learn in their normal classes. "They can use jetpacks and at the same time they have to know what the associative property is," he said. "Anything we can do to meet the kids on their own grounds and educate them is to our advantage."

Student Jonathan Burton said he didn't know what prime numbers were before he played the game, but Perrotte wasn't buying it. "What the recall is, is not the prime number they were talking about but rather getting through to the enemy," she said.

The school plans to give copies of the game to kids to take home and play over the summer and added that it would be "more than happy" to let worried parents try it out so they can see its value for themselves. I have a feeling that's an invitation at least one parent will decline.

Source: KOAT.com [http://www.koat.com/news/23811160/detail.html]

hudsonzero

what I thought I'd do was,
Aug 4, 2009
wow there upset over a educational game that appearers to work ..... have these parents had a lobotomy?

DamienHell

Oct 17, 2007
...These parents are idiots, the best way to teach a kid is to trick them into learning. Who cares WHY they're playing the games, so long as they leave smarter for it.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Why cant the west be more accepting of educational games like the Japanese, I still like their idea of the "learning RPG". Wish I had them when I was school, maybe I wouldnt be such a dumb shit when it comes to the old mathematics.

MisterColeman

Mar 19, 2009
I'm a little confused is he saying Grand Theft Auto is the educational game? In which case I kinda understand.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Yeah!
Fight the educational games, or we'll get rampant mathematicians!

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
These parents are fucking idiots, what is it that Murdoc said? "Embrace the future, or drown in the past" this is a new time, things are different from when our parents (or these parents) were kids!

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
I feel sorry for the parents, they have spent the last however many years being misinformed about games. Turn on the news and you'll see that 'Kid kills family, at one point he might have played an xbox. the xbox killed them'. While we know personally that games arn't as bad as the media portrays, i'm betting someone who's an outsider who's only source of information is the news would think the same as these people.

Yes, they are wrong but we have understand that they just need to be educated themselves on the merits of games. It really doesn't help the gamers arguement if our response is just to pass these people off at retarded.

Polock

Jan 23, 2010
I learned how to do certain math things because of video games.

Wrong parents are wrong.

Anyone ever play Math Blaster? That game was awesome.

MisterColeman

Mar 19, 2009
Denamic said:
Yeah!
Fight the educational games, or we'll get rampant mathematicians!
Actually you should be worried about that, I hear some of them make bombs and perfectly balanced weaponry using something called physecs or soemthing.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Unless I'm mistaken, New Mexico is one of those states so mired in Republican propaganda that they'll quickly demonize anything and everything that has ever had to be put in the hot seat. Video Games being one of those things. As for that one mother who commented on her child being more motivated by the violence: what she doesn't understand is the context. When I was a kid, school and violence had a relationship but it was a relationship strictly between the students. Using violence to teach is like an epic 4th wall breaking moment. That's how I see it anyway

Girl With One Eye

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Jun 2, 2010
I blame the media for these parents actions, they think an educational game will cause us all to become psychotic killers - or morbidly obese.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Oh Noes Our Kids R bein Learned on the Math N Stuff. First its these vid-ee-oh games next they'll be readin' n writin' 'bout stuff that aint in our bible and then they be thinkin for themself. We Can't allow Satan in to our children! [/cleetus voice]

would really like to check out this game and see what its really like

"Mommy Mommy I learned about prime numbers from a videogame!"
"No you didnt Son they're devil numbers and nedd to be purged from your soul"

N1ceDreamz

Mar 23, 2010
This is the funniest thing I've seen all day... This is a good way for kids to learn some extra maths and those fucking idoits say it's bad becuase it has violence? These people must have their heads stuck so far up their arses that they don't even realise attitudes have changed sence the break of the 20th century...

SavingPrincess

Bringin' Text-y Back
Feb 17, 2010
I don't seem to recall parents having an issue with games like Oregon Trail. I can't say there was anything really "educational" about that game, but then again, I can also say I've yet to actually die from dysentery; so maybe it served it's purpose?

randomrob

Aug 5, 2009
Why couldn't I have had a maths teacher like this Gary Bodman fellow? Maybe I would understand Trigonometry now if I had. And to be fair there will always be stupid parents who don't have a clue what they're talking about in terms of Games who will object to stuff like this.