E3 2010: Gran Turismo 5 Gets Desperately Needed Release Date

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
E3 2010: Gran Turismo 5 Gets Desperately Needed Release Date

Get that musty racing gear out of the closet; Gran Turismo 5 has a release date at last.

Now that we're all old, gray, and moldy, Sony has finally announced the release date for the long-awaited Sony's E3 2010 press conference [http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=75118], the news was dropped that Gran Turismo 5 will screech out of the gates on November 2, 2010.

Yes, that's 2010, not 2011, 2012, or 3010. Gran Turismo 5 had been pushed back for years after first being announced in 2006. A scant four-and-a-half years later, it'll finally see the light of day. The delay has apparently been due to a desire for perfection [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/92211-Gran-Turismo-5-Could-Be-Released-Right-Now].

The game will reportedly include 950+ cars and an extensive online component. There's also going to be a collector's edition sold for $99.99 that will contain a diecast Nissan GT-R Spec V, 300-page guide (which for a game like Gran Turismo can't be more useful), key chain, DLC voucher for new cars, and a vial of Polyphony Digital boss Kazunori Yamauchi's blood and sweat. I lied about the key chain.

The idea of Gran Turismo 5 actually being released was almost becoming on the level of something like Duke Nukem Forever. There was never really any doubt in my mind, but it was taking a really long time. Will its time in the garage make it the ultimate racing experience we all anticipate at this point?

Source: Escapist Live Blog [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e32010/7712-Liveblog-Sony-2010-Press-Conference-E3].

Keep track of our E3 2010 coverage here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e32010].

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Y'know, with the amount of time they've been working on this game it better be a cure for cancer, or do something equally miraculous...

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
can we correct that last line to
Tom Goldman said:
Will its time in the garage make it the ultimate driving experience we all anticipate at this point?
To call GT a racing game is kind of a misnomer.

-m

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
This is good for the people who actually still want GT5. I don't really care, but I'm happy for those that will get it.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Still looking forward to this, nice to finally see a release date named.

Also, I heard the Top Gear track will be in this version, anyone know if thats true?

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
...Holy shit, Grand Turismo 5 is ACTUALLY releasing? Quick, someone check for signs of the apocalypse! Are horses eating each other? Have the seas turned blood red and the skies gone dark as the night when it should be day? Has Duke Nukem Forever been released as well?

Christ, this game has been under development since 2004. There are few games that ever go past that mark and actually get released.

Fists

Apr 16, 2009
Awesome! Now I have five months to decide if I want it or not, the handling in all the demos and promos has been pretty awful but 950 is alot of cars.

wooty said:
Still looking forward to this, nice to finally see a release date named.

Also, I heard the Top Gear track will be in this version, anyone know if thats true?
I'm pretty sure it is, one of the big selling points for me.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I'd like to know what this will do better than the giant slew of great racing titles since it's almost ancient first announcement.

Regardless it will still get rave reviews and sell in ship loads... you know, because it's Gran Turismo.

*sigh*

Ace01

May 19, 2009
I remember hearing about the game when i was trying to decide on a Ps3 or xbox. forza 2 and forza 3 have come out for xbox so i'm kinda satisfied.

although i am planning on playing this at a friends house ounce he gets it. Although i'm still skeptical on releasing this year.

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
In before it get's delayed again. I give 50/50 odds of it getting pushed back at least once more before release...

shotgunbob

Mar 24, 2009
About time!

Theyve been done with it for what a year and a half now?

I remember close to 2 years aho the HD Concept Demo of GT was released on the PS3 and it looked fantastic.

Zetona

Dec 20, 2008
I was impressed with the GT5 trailer.

Then I saw the Forza 4 screenshots.

...HOLY SHIT.

With the Kinect implementation, Forza 4 looks like it will take racing games to a whole new plane of automotive fetishism.

This [http://forzamotorsport.net/uploadedImages/Media/Images/Forza_Motorsport_E3_2010/FM_1_1.jpg] is apparently in-engine. Holy fuck.

friedo.obrain

Jan 29, 2010
Is there even a market for realistic auto driving experiences anymore?
Because i'm seeing the whole scene moving in a mario kartish direction eg. (Blur, Slip/Second)

I liked the trailer but i gotta wonder if they'll let us tune up the car (not in the neons and nitro kinda way)

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
Well, it's only been what, $65,000,000 in development costs? About time they put a date to the start of getting something out of their investment.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
AceDiamond said:
Yes Gran Turismo 5, now with 900+ cars but only 10 that are worth driving!
You clearly haven't played may GT games, have you?

Though, then again, I only played GT4, but I certainly needed more than just 10 cars if I wanted to advance in the game.

Whatevs, I'm pretty excited about it, and this does kind of makes me want to get a 3D compatible TV (my current one is pretty old, so it wouldn't hurt to upgrade).