No Open Endings for Fallout: New Vegas

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
No Open Endings for Fallout: New Vegas

Much like Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas [http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=%22Fallout%3A+New+Vegas%22&x=0&y=0] will end when it's over, but Obsidian is taking steps to make it easy for players to go back and keep playing once they've seen how everything wraps up.

One of the most common complaints about Broken Steel [http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=%22Fallout+3%22&x=0&y=0] DLC changed the big finish, making it open-ended, but if you weren't up to paying extra to get it, you were out of luck.

In spite of that negative reaction, the same is planned for Fallout: New Vegas. In the second part of the Fallout: New Vegas "Fan Interview," [http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1098302-fallout-new-vegas-fan-interview/] Obsidian's Josh Sawyer said the studio "really wanted" to let players keep going after the grand finale, but that doing so wouldn't fit with its vision for the game. "Ultimately we realized that supporting post-endgame content would jeopardize the quality of the ending, which we wanted to tell the definitive stories for all of our major factions, locations and characters," he explained.

"Instead, after the credits roll the game will prompt you to reload a save created just before the endgame sequence, allowing players to go back and complete any quests they may have missed," he continued. "Additionally, we make it very clear when you're about to reach the end of the main plot, so it shouldn't come across as a surprise."

Obsidian [http://www.obsidianent.com/] is, however, ensuring that the game can be finished without any killing - or, conversely, with nothing but killing. "There are ways to win the main plot by killing no one and by killing everyone. It was one of our initial design tenets," Sawyer said. "You will find it difficult to get by as a pacifist, and you will miss a great deal of content by killing everyone you meet, but it can be done."

Fallout: New Vegas is scheduled for release on October 19 for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
"Additionally, we make it very clear when you're about to reach the end of the main plot, so it shouldn't come across as a surprise."
That right there is what I wanted to see, even if they have a little message pop up saying it is the point of no return. Can't be any worse than the "you are about to leave Vault 101, would you like to change your gender?" box...

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
AzrealMaximillion said:
Wasn't this what people flipped shit about in Fallout 3 before the DLC?
Read the damn text.
I quite like this, i didn't really understand why people were so fussed over about F3's ending. Just reload a save, some games have endings ok?

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Here is hoping that modding community will once more fix the mistakes of developers and publisher and just add such things like post end-game content.

Tough luck for console users tho i suppose, but its their own fault they turned away from the PC *nod*

Pandora92

Apr 2, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
"Instead, after the credits roll the game will prompt you to reload a save created just before the endgame sequence, allowing players to go back and complete any quests they may have missed," he continued.
That is the same approach that all recent Zelda games seem to take, and it REALLY annoys me, it just destroys the games sense of ending/finality, you feel as if you can never really "finish" it.

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
So do we get DLC that will open up the ending in new vegas or not? It never says specifically and if so when is it released.

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
One of the most common complaints about Fallout 3 [http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=%22Fallout+3%22&x=0&y=0] centered around the finality of the original ending.
I thought the most common complaint was the bugs...

Maybe that's just me though...

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, they are taking details and feedback on! I like how it can be completed with and without killing though, makes for some intresting playthroughs!

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
Interestingly enough, Fallout had an ending with definite finality, but you never see anyone complain that Fallout totally sucked because the ending actually ended the game. Fallout 3 caught a lot of flak because the ending was so poorly implemented and the "moral choice" was very, very stilted ("This is your destiny." aka 'I refuse to save your life even despite the fact that my own won't be at risk')

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Aaaaagh. I get the need for developers to keep the canon going, but why can't we just have a little in-game box that pops up after the final mission going "This doesn't relate the game's storyline, but have some freeplay!"? Is it that hard?

Psychosocial said:
I knew Black Isle would be able to solve the fuck up that was Fallout 3...
I'm going to regret this, because I'm going to guess you're a massive fanboy, but why was Fallout 3 a "fuck up"?

PipBoy2000

Oct 7, 2009
Psychosocial said:
I knew Black Isle would be able to solve the fuck up that was Fallout 3, yes, they are and remain Black Isle to me.
*HIGH FIVE*

The only thing that bothers me now is the conversation system. Is it going to be boring and predictable shite like in 3, or more Black Isle-ish?

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Hmm..initially I was pretty perturbed, but after reading Chalk's description of what was going to happen, it doesn't actually sound -that- bad. At least they seem to have some sort of 'story' in mind here

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
The more I hear about Fallout: New Vegas, the more I'm happy to leave it on the store shelf.
Fallout 3 was, to me, an OK 'game', but a terrible Fallout.
And this is really looking like more of the same.
Pass.

PipBoy2000

Oct 7, 2009
Baby Tea said:
The more I hear about Fallout: New Vegas, the more I'm happy to leave it on the store shelf.
Fallout 3 was, to me, an OK 'game', but a terrible Fallout.
My thought exactly on 3. That's why I'm VERY curious as to what happened to the dialog system.