No Open Endings for Fallout: New Vegas

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Fuck. You. Obsidian.

I want to finish the game, and then I want to roam about, master of the wasteland. I don't need your help reloading an old save game either.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
Grr.... and their true colors shall be revealed once they make some DLC's. >_<

Codor

Feb 21, 2010
Jadak said:
Fuck. You. Obsidian.

I want to finish the game, and then I want to roam about, master of the wasteland. I don't need your help reloading an old save game either.
I gotta agree with this I understand a ending to the story but I want to keep playing or whats the purpose of getting any decent gear.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
MiracleOfSound said:
This news sucks.

One of the best bits of Fallout 2 (and 3 after the DLC), and Oblivion, was wondering around after the ending as your buffed up hero who has saved the day.

I really have doubts about this decision, but I'll wait and see.
Actually, even though you could keep playing after the ending in Oblivion, you were better off loading a save from just before the ending.
Because when you finish up the story, the oblivion gates vanish and the rest of the world remains the same.
Basically, you lose places to explore.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Psychosocial said:
Sparrow said:
Psychosocial said:
I knew Black Isle would be able to solve the fuck up that was Fallout 3...
I'm going to regret this, because I'm going to guess you're a massive fanboy, but why was Fallout 3 a "fuck up"?
VATS, the surroundings, the terrible conversation system, the boring main story, the fact that it was glitchier than Oblivion.

Just a small summary of what I hated with the game, I could expand on them if you wish.
Woah woah woah, wait a second here. You expect Obsidian to fix what was "fucked up" about Fallout 3, and list those as the issues?
-VATS isn't changed. The only notable addition is that melee gets sectional choices again.
-You're nuts, I think you never went exploring. The environments were brilliantly crafted. Prime examples being Hamilton's Hideaway and Dunwich Building. Or the entirity of Point Lookout.
-Conversation system is the same, as it's a Gamebryo game.
-Okay, this WILL be corrected, as Obsidian is still great with stories.
-Unless you're computer completely blew or you stupidly played it on the PS3, hyperbole alert! Oblivion is notorious as one of the most crash-tastic games ever to grace PCs. FO3 fixed almost all the issues, and suffers only the rarest crash.

Now if you complained that the game suffered from a limited scope of how to solve situations, you'd be right. The original Fallouts had almost as much freedom to progress through as Deus Ex did. Or the fact Bethesda screwed up Tag skills and skillbooks, which modders fixed on day one.

Oh why am I wasting my breath, I know any thread about New Vegas will devolve into bitching about Fallout 3.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Psychosocial said:
Woodsey said:
Psychosocial said:
I knew Black Isle would be able to solve the fuck up that was Fallout 3, yes, they are and remain Black Isle to me.
So let me get this straight: you're counting on a studio that messed up KotOR 2, NWN 2 and even their own IP Alpha Protocol to do this "right"?

They've already managed to make the game look worse both graphically and in the way it sort of... "feels" - not the best word since I haven't played it, it just looks so... so...

"Off".

Whatever, the point is if you get your hopes up prepare to have them smashed; that's the only thing Obsidian knows how to do properly.

Oh, and considering the guys in charge of New Vegas said that if they'd of done Fallout 3 they'd of done it in "almost exactly the same way" as Bethesda, I don't see why you're getting so excited.

And just call them Obsidian - I doubt a lot of the guys working there are the ones that carried over from Black Isle anyway.

Oh, and their answer to one of the biggest complaints about Fallout 3 is to do the exact same thing with what sounds like a rather immersion-breaking method to counter what they themselves are doing.
Haven't played any of the games they've made as Obsidian, but I have played the games they made as Black Isle. And those games are all amazing, hence why I still have hope. It's the same with Rare, even though it's not all the same people, though in the case of Rare it really isn't anyone, I have hope that they will be able to do something as awesome as what they once did. Nostalgia, if you will.

Of course they're going to go around saying they would've done Fallout 3 the exact same way, do you expect them to say that Bethesda did a terrible job after having been allowed to work on a game as big as this one?
Yes, but those games were years ago - ask anyone, Obsidian are not a sign of quality. They're a sign of good ideas, yes.

Of quality? Of a finished product? No.

Anything they've made as Obsidian has been broken and (in the case of KotOR 2 and NWN 2) not lived up to the games' predecessors.

And no, of course I didn't; that's not the only alternative though. They could easily have said "we liked what Bethesda did, although if we'd have done it we'd have probably done it like this".

Trust me: Obsidian. Will. Fuck. It. Up.

Raithnor

Jul 26, 2009
What's the point of giving an open sandbox game a quest where the game ends? Sure I can see a "Main Plot Line", I could even buy the whole "You *might* not survive it"-ala Mass Effect 2, but to structure the story in such a way that the game flashes the big "GAME OVER" screen regardless of what choices you make just seems dumb.

So this time they warn you that the game is ending and it's nice enough to load a savestate right before you start the mission. Talk about missing the point.

Since all games are supposed to come with pre-made DLC to be sold, what's the point of killing the story like this. Sure there might be some replay value, but not very much.

goliath6711

May 3, 2010
Why?! Why is the fact that Fallout 3 had a complete and defined ending such a problem with all you people? I swear, people complain over the most moronic things!

For instance, when Mass Effect's DLC came out, people actually whined about the fact that you could only access those missions during the portion of the game when you TOOK COMMAND OF YOUR SHIP AND COULD DECIDE WHERE YOU COULD GO! The number 1 complaint coming from people who started the final mission. I guess they didn't recognize that the final mission had the word "FINAL" in it. Prompting some obnoxious jerks to see Mass Effect 2's post credit roaming as Bioware "learning their lesson". Why? There's nothing you can do after the credits roll that you can't do before. What are you gonna do, mine every single planet for upgrades you didn't need for battles that aren't going to happen?

Let's look at another example, Saint's Row. You should have seen the legion of crybabies that popped out when that game's final mission (which was just a cutscene) ended with what appeared to be your character's death. "Now we can't get %100 completion!" IT WAS JUST A CUTSCENE! Go back to your previous save if you need to do that so badly!

And going back to Fallout 3, the open ending actually hurts the game instead helps it. It doesn't even show the credits, and Ron Perlman's speech at the end has absolutely no purpose now. It would have been so much better if Broken Steel was brought on as the new ending. But I guess that doesn't make me a "true Fallout fan" and if that's the case, I don't want to be.

So I have a message to everyone at Bethesda and Obsidian working on Fallout: New Vegas, and I really hope you're reading this. DO NOT CAVE THIS TIME! If you want the game to end, then end it!

Well that felt good.

SpaceFrank

Dec 10, 2009
My guess is that most of the people bitching about this never played the first two games. It sounds to me (or at least I'm hoping) that New Vegas will be more like the original 2 games, but with the graphics of FO3. The most obvious thing being an actual meaningful ending screen. I could echo all the similar comments above, but I won't.

FO3 was less a sequel to FO2 than it was "Elder Scrolls 5: Fallout." It was a great game, and I played through it twice. But it wasn't really true to the series.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I'm torn on this. Fallout 3 was an awesome game, Bethesda did a great job interpreting the setting into its classic RPG formula. But Obsidian... the days of Black Isle are long gone and Obsidian has quite literally fucked up everything it's touched since then. There are flashes of brilliance everywhere, but the studio just can't seem to pull it together.

But maybe Bethsoft's oversight will help with that. I hope so.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
MiracleOfSound said:
This news sucks.

One of the best bits of Fallout 2 (and 3 after the DLC), and Oblivion, was wondering around after the ending as your buffed up hero who has saved the day.

I really have doubts about this decision, but I'll wait and see.
My guess is they plan to add DLC to unlock an open ending, just like they did with Fallout 3. Probably because it made them buckets of cash.

It does make me think the ending will be pretty final in any case. Another life or death thing.

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
Woodsey said:
Psychosocial said:
I knew Black Isle would be able to solve the fuck up that was Fallout 3, yes, they are and remain Black Isle to me.
So let me get this straight: you're counting on a studio that messed up KotOR 2, NWN 2 and even their own IP Alpha Protocol to do this "right"?
KotOR 2 was rushed, and was still a good game. Not as good as KotOR, but if your expectations were reasonable it was fine. Except for the end, but again, they were rushed. As for NWN 2, that game did have a lot of problems, but if you play the expansion MotB, they fixed almost all of them. They very obviously learned from NWN 2's problems. Alpha Protocol's main problems were things that aren't going to be much of an issue since they're using someone else's engine.

Basically, yes they have a fairly poor track record, but the reasons for these things are unlikely to matter with Fallout: New Vegas. Obsidian's getting a chance to focus almost entirely on it's strengths, dialogue and story, which makes me very excited for this game. The fact that a fair portion of the studio worked on previous Fallout titles is glorious icing on this cake.

goliath6711

May 3, 2010
"That sux! Fallout is about running through the wastes shooting stuff. Why are they putting all this story faggotry in Fallout?"

Wow, just wow. I don't think I've ever read a collection of words brought together to form a more idiotic sentence.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
Psychosocial said:
The pacifist thing is already sounding interesting as hell. This might mean that I can get around the worst gimmick of any game in the last couple of years, VATS!

I knew Black Isle would be able to solve the fuck up that was Fallout 3, yes, they are and remain Black Isle to me. I also find it pretty sad to complain about not being able to go on after the ending. I fully agree with the creators, the story can get so much better with an absolute ending.
Obsidian were Black Isle studios?

That makes so much sense...

DoctorWhat

v11.1 beta2
Apr 10, 2009
tellmeimaninja said:
Grr... This is going to bother me. I'm going to be walking around doing other quests and thinking "WHAT HAPPENS DURING THE ENDING?" and then after I've seen it, it's going to bother me becuase I should be dead or whatever the ending decides to do to me.
Or you could really get into the "role-play" aspect and pretend you're seeing a premonition of the future, and you know what must ultimately be done for all of humanity.