Edward Norton Dropped From Avengers Movie

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Edward Norton Dropped From Avengers Movie

Marvel Studios has announced that The Incredible Hulk will be appearing in the Avengers movie, but Edward Norton will not.

Marvel is assembling an impressive cast for the 2012 Avengers movie: Robert Downey Jr., Scarlett Johansson, Samuel L. Jackson, Edward Norton - no wait, scratch that last one. Edward Norton will not be reprising his role as everyone's favorite scientist-with-anger-management-issues, Bruce Banner, as the studio has decided to recast the part with another actor.

"We have made the decision to not bring Ed Norton back to portray the title role of Bruce Banner in The Avengers. Our decision is definitely not one based on monetary factors, but instead rooted in the need for an actor who embodies the creativity and collaborative spirit of our other talented cast members," said Marvel Studios President Kevin Fiege, Speaking from the set of Captain America: The First Avenger.

"The Avengers demands players who thrive working as part of an ensemble, as evidenced by Robert, Chris H, Chris E, Sam, Scarlett, and all of our talented casts. We are looking to announce a name actor who fulfills these requirements, and is passionate about the iconic role in the coming weeks."

It's disappointing that Norton won't be appearing in The Avengers, as one of the most exciting things about the film was that it brought all the recent Marvel movies together, but exactly how much screen time Norton would have gotten in a movie with at least four superheroes in it is anyone's guess.

The Avengers is scheduled for release on May 4th, 2012.

Source: Spinoff Online [http://www.spinoffonline.com/2010/07/10/its-official-edward-norton-wont-be-an-avenger/]

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
That sounds like a bullshit excuse for something else that happened. Probably made a statement about politics or religion that a producer didnt like.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
I think that's kind of a shame, Edward Norton is a good actor and he's proven so in films like Fight Club and American History X that he can pull off without too much difficulty strong and difficult roles and it's not like the Hulk is a hard role to play given that he would only be in the movie half the time (the other half he is replaced by a green CGI monster) so I think it's a load of bull that he 'can't perform alongside the heavy hitters'.

Still at least the Avengers movie has now got a date, so that's something for the nerds to get excited about. I just hope this movie doesn't suffer too much without Norton.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
err is anyone else reading that as "Edward Norton is a fucking pirma donna and no-one wants to work with him"? That's what I'm getting out of the quotes.

ramox

Mar 11, 2010
Milky_Fresh said:
dathwampeer said:
What a ridiculous reason not to cast him. He's not the type of actor to pine for screan time. I mean in the hulk the major scene he obviously had nothing to do with. In fightclub he seemed to have no problems letting pitt get his screne time. I'm reconing somethings gone on between him and the director. Fucking ridiculous. Him and Downey Jr would have made that film. Both quality actors. And it would have been great to see their personalities clash.
Actually, he's kind of known for it. The director of American History X wanted to have his name taken from the credits due to Edward Norton trying to force him to give him more screen time. I love him as an actor, but he sounds like a real egomaniac, and a prick. Still, this is a bummer. He's a great actor.
Not only that, he's also known for insisting on taking part in the production path of the movies he's in. Making important decissions or at least having a say about stuff. Which is not exactly how Marvel is working.

Aug 25, 2009
I haven't actually seen the Hulk yet, but I'm definitely going to be.

Why? Because I found out about the Avengers movie. I watched Iron Man and liked it, then heard that they were intending to do the full works, and that kind of sealed the deal. If they do this right, it's going to be great.

As to the Hulk, like I say, I'm going to see it, but I've never been that bothered by the changing of actors out of a movie.

A3sir

Mar 25, 2010
I've heard he is a real arse off screen. I will agree he is a fantastic actor, but it's said he snaps at fans for just saying hi in the street. Not asking for an autograph, photo or coming up to him saying how great he is. Just saying hi and moving on... yeah I can see why they say he doesn't play well with others.

TheEnglishman

Jun 13, 2009
Well I know Edward Norton is a bit of a ego maniac, but he still is a good actor and I go love continiuity with a film series (isn't that one of the major points of the Avengers movie?" so I'm annoyed, but I wouldn't call it a deal breaker, as the Hulk was never too much of a major part to the Avengers.

Confirm Nathon Fillion is Ant-Man and all will be forgiven, or heck, as the Hulk.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Never really been a fan of his, he picks good movies, and generally does a good job and all...there is just something about him that I find to be...objectionable.