Iconic Xbox 360 Achievement Beep Almost Wasn't Implemented

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Iconic Xbox 360 Achievement Beep Almost Wasn't Implemented

The Xbox 360's beloved achievement notification system was a last minute addition that almost didn't happen.

Isn't it a great feeling when you're playing an Xbox engineering blog [http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-250GB-Console/dp/B003O6JJKY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1279385654&sr=8-2], that feeling of euphoria almost didn't come to be.

Though achievements are a core aspect of videogaming today, this wasn't the case before the Xbox 360 was released. Achievements were a mysterious thing that developers were still trying to get the hang of. The blog post's author, Xbox Live and Platform Architect Vince Curley, writes: "Implementations of achievements were inconsistent and not as good as they could have been. Some games did the minimum required: 5 achievements which were tossed out for basically just starting the game. Some games made the achievements way too hard or too easy." Now over 4 million achievements are unlocked per day on the Xbox 360 alone, Curley says.

But that universal achievement sound? That might never have existed. Microsoft originally thought game designers would want to provide their own achievement notifications, or to not have them at all. However, according to Curley: "Others argued for consistency and for reducing the work required of game developers. In the end we added the notification popup and its happy beep, which turned out to be the right decision, but for a long time it was anything but obvious."

Would life be the same without the way achievement notifications work today? Probably, but even from someone that is far from an achievement whore (with a pathetic Gamerscore of 1735), it feels good when I get something just for having fun while playing a game, and the achievement alert has become a happy little event. I get the feeling that some developers may have gone overboard if allowed to run wild with the methods through which they notified players anyway.

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
Any plans for a story on the sound that coins make in mario when you hit a block?

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
BLEEP BLOOP! I have so many Achievables!

I can believe that the achievement feature went through a lot of thought of thought and debate while it was being implemented. I for one aren't a achievement whore but that little sound is fun to hear.

Jul 22, 2009
BLEEP BLOOP achievement unlocked :D

Sometimes I look upon my gamerscore whoring ways... then I hear that sound at it makes it all better.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Im glad it did make it in at least...It does make playing games that little bit more rewarding, when you see that little symbol turn up ^^

Forgetitnow344

Jan 8, 2010
1735? I would think you'd get more than that simply by playing video games. I spend maybe five percent of my gaming time gathering achievements and I have a gamerscore of over 28,000.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
I turned off notifications. Kept popping up and ruining the immersion. Annoying as hell.

team star pug

Sep 29, 2009
I would have liked to see some game studios making there own sound effects. Think of the possibleities

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
I like Achievements on a conceptual level. However, I would prefer it if developers awarded you the achievement at a "quiet" moment - not at the start of a cutscene, or in the middle of combat, only once you're in a quiet span of the game immediately following it. Otherwise it ruins immersion. That bleep-bloop is awesome, but I've occasionally disabled notifications while playing RPGs and story-driven action-adventures (specifically Assassin's Creed, which bleep-blooped every major assassination, right at the start of the dying cutscene).

My Bartle Type? Spade-Diamond. I explore to achieve and achieve to explore. But I also like story enough that the bleep-bloop gets annoying at times.

dragonslayer32

Jan 11, 2010
They should change the sound of the achievement notification. Every time a friend signs in, it makes the same sound as an achievement and can get very annoying.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I kind of wish they had let devs implement their own sounds and skins for the achievements!

Apr 28, 2008
Not a big fan of achievements. I hate it when I'm immersed in a game, and all of a sudded *BOOP!* an achievement pops up and tears me from the experience.

If they let developers add their own little sounds and designs I would probably like them better, since then they wouldn't completely be at odds with the game's art style.

T_ConX

Mar 8, 2010
Dr. Awesome Face said:
That sound seems to make it all worth it. You just don't get the same feeling when you get a trophy on the PS3.
Not just the sound, but everything about the PS3's trophy system feels life a half-baked mockery of the 360's system.