Iconic Xbox 360 Achievement Beep Almost Wasn't Implemented

AlexanderAstartes

Afternoon Delight
Jan 1, 2008
dragonslayer32 said:
They should change the sound of the achievement notification. Every time a friend signs in, it makes the same sound as an achievement and can get very annoying.
I always look when this happens! I don't even care that much, but it makes me think I'm getting a secret achievement or something XD

soapyshooter

That Guy
Jan 19, 2010
I like the Trophy *bling* noise better. The 360 tone hurts my ears when using a headset. Its too high pitched

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
Donnyp said:
Is it weird that i don't know what it is....Or the PS3 one for that matter even though I've heard them both hundreds if not thousands of times?
Well, I'm sure you'd recognize it you heard it.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
I wish more games did what Heavy Rain did. Unlock the Trophies you earned as soon as it hits a loading screen.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
As much as I love getting achievements on my 360 I think it kind of sucks that the beep is used for pretty much every notification. Like if I've done something that could be considered achievement-worthy I hear the beep and think "Oh joy, more gamerscore!" and then it turns out it's just a message telling me a friend is now online. It would be nice if there were seperate sounds but that beep is a really nice sound.

Oh and on the subject of achievements is it just me or does Rockstar still have alot to learn about achievements?

addeB

Oct 2, 2009
Pegghead said:
As much as I love getting achievements on my 360 I think it kind of sucks that the beep is used for pretty much every notification. Like if I've done something that could be considered achievement-worthy I hear the beep and think "Oh joy, more gamerscore!" and then it turns out it's just a message telling me a friend is now online. It would be nice if there were seperate sounds but that beep is a really nice sound.
Exactly my thoughts, it is especially annoying while you are farming some thing for a achievement.

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
BobisOnlyBob said:
I like Achievements on a conceptual level. However, I would prefer it if developers awarded you the achievement at a "quiet" moment - not at the start of a cutscene, or in the middle of combat, only once you're in a quiet span of the game immediately following it. Otherwise it ruins immersion. That bleep-bloop is awesome, but I've occasionally disabled notifications while playing RPGs and story-driven action-adventures (specifically Assassin's Creed, which bleep-blooped every major assassination, right at the start of the dying cutscene).

My Bartle Type? Spade-Diamond. I explore to achieve and achieve to explore. But I also like story enough that the bleep-bloop gets annoying at times.
I like knowing I got it when I got it. I hate sometimes when I dont even know if I will. But you can just turn it off as you said so ta da.

Tarakos

May 21, 2009
Achievements are nice, but I think devs go a little overboard with them some times. Like the Gears of War achievements for playing like a bazillion matches or something. Or difficulty-based achievements. Those can go straight to hell (Insanity on ME2 being my last foray into self-induced rage mode achievements).

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Good thing it went in! I love that sound even though it runs for a second and I rarely hear it.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
Oh man, that sound is what I play my 360 for.
To think that it almost didn't exist
breaks my gaming heart.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Achievements, the thing that often breaks multiplayer matches with morons coming in to grind, was real fun watching scouts jump under doorways while my team was trying to capture the flag.

Seriously I just don't understand achievements, a lot of them aren't fun to attempt to get, nor can you DO anything with them. Here's my gaming goal, I play to have fun. What do people see in achievements especially when some of them are just controller/mouse throwing annoying or stupidly easy to get? Maybe I'm just missing something.

...See what I mean?

droppingpenny

Feb 27, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
Iconic Xbox 360 Achievement Beep Almost Wasn't Implemented
-snip-
This raises a very interesting question: Who Cares?
Archievements are among most useless things on my list together with the XBL avatars and the new dashboard.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
BobisOnlyBob said:
I like Achievements on a conceptual level. However, I would prefer it if developers awarded you the achievement at a "quiet" moment - not at the start of a cutscene, or in the middle of combat, only once you're in a quiet span of the game immediately following it. Otherwise it ruins immersion. That bleep-bloop is awesome, but I've occasionally disabled notifications while playing RPGs and story-driven action-adventures (specifically Assassin's Creed, which bleep-blooped every major assassination, right at the start of the dying cutscene).

My Bartle Type? Spade-Diamond. I explore to achieve and achieve to explore. But I also like story enough that the bleep-bloop gets annoying at times.
Indeed, and now the act of giving gamers trophies has really gone overboard, I've been playing MW2 and everynow and then I'm in "the Zone" and greeted with "DUH DUM DUH! YOU KILLED THE ENTIRE WORLD EXPERT II!" dominating the screen, just as quickly as it appears it dissapears and I'm like "what the hell was that?, what just happened?".

My first badges or medals were on Soldier Of Fortune 2, and the end of the match it would hand out medals so it didn't get in the way of shooting, incedently I once managed to get 100% accuracy and 100% kills so every shot I did in 20 minutes was a kill.

Jezzascmezza said:
Oh man, that sound is what I play my 360 for.
To think that it almost didn't exist
breaks my gaming heart.
Wow, thats like poetry man.