Hellboy Director Switches to Videogames

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Hellboy Director Switches to Videogames

Hellboy [http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddvd&field-keywords=hellboy&x=0&y=0&ih=5_1_0_1_0_0_0_0_0_1.72_55&fsc=-1] director and gaming fan Guillermo del Toro has revealed that he has a "big deal" to make videogames with a "big company."

In June, del Toro announced that he was pulling out [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101056-Peter-Jackson-Might-Direct-The-Hobbit-After-All] of The Hobbit, which he had been set to direct, saying that the long, unstable production schedule was beginning to conflict with other commitments. He didn't go into details, but perhaps this one of those commitments: A move from the cinematic arts into videogame creation.

"One of the things we're announcing in the next few weeks is a big deal with a big company. We're going to do games that are going to be technically and narratively very interesting," del Toro recently told MTV [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/07/28/guillermo-del-toro-has-multiple-games-in-the-works-with-a-big-company/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+MultiplayerBlog+%28Multiplayer+Blog%29]. "It's not a development deal. We're going to do it. We're doing them. And we're going to announce it soon enough."

He declined to get into specifics, saying that the "big company" in question "would probably shoot me in the head" if he spilled the beans now. But it's fun to note that last year, del Toro claimed there would be no videogame tie-in to too ambitious [http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0903624/]." With the film no longer on his plate, is it possible he'll be at the helm of a Hobbit videogame after all?

sturryz

Nov 17, 2007
The movie people going into video games is whats wrong with the industry, they are trying to make games that work like a movie, short and straight forward.

Zirat

May 16, 2009
Personally, I love Del Toros work and am curious to see how this venture works out for him. But im still waiting for 'At The Mountains of Madness'

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
I really hope this guy is doing something other then a simple movie tie. As long has he understands that games=/=movies, then we should be fine. Games with the vision of one single guy then by comminty is something we haven't gotten outside of Nintendo or the Indie market in quite awhile.

HereForFreeFood

Nov 17, 2009
sturryz said:
The movie people going into video games is whats wrong with the industry, they are trying to make games that work like a movie, short and straight forward.
So I'm guessing you didn't like portal? I think it could be good news, but we'll just have to wait and see what he comes up with.

Harlemura

Ace Defective
May 1, 2009
As long as whatever game he makes doesn't include something like the weird eye-hand guy from Pan's Labyrinth, I'll probably look into it.
But after seeing how much stuff from his sketchbooks go into his movies, I doubt it'll go without a little bit of "WTF".

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, hopefully he can continue making great games like he made good films.

I just hope he dosnt fall flat on his face

oranger

May 27, 2008
Bleh, I'm starting to see a pattern here...and very soon another director or whatever will be recruited by another big name.

Zero=Interrupt

Nov 9, 2009
Hopefully this'll mean more games with the look/feel of Pan's Labyrinth. Del Toro has a lot of potential despite some of his past gaffes. That said, Hellboy 2 blew because it killed the franchise with a poorly written plot, and Elfman's limp-wristed score didn't help. If they had stuck to the direction the Hellboy story was taking in the books (Nazis, eldritch horror, and Hellboy's struggle against his "fate") then it would have been a better movie.

Personally I though the Hellboy/BPRD franchise, with its dark, eldritch horror themes and rich universe, would be a fantastic animated series, and don't understand why Mignola has never tried to push something along those line. It'd even be good as a live-action show; better than the endless Stargate-dreck that SyFy put out.

Meggiepants

Not a pigeon roost
Jan 19, 2010
If they make a new Hobbit game based on the book and not the movie, I'm game. I enjoyed the old Hobbit game. It would be nice to have an update.

But if this is just another movie tie in, I'm not all that excited. The LOTR games were just okay at best.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
This is great, hopefully we will get a great game if everything goes smoothly.
BTW didn't Peter Jackson expressed interest in making a videogame?

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
well, I can see this going two ways:

Either he goes "woo, let's make it like cinema", and the game sucks.

Or he'll be like a bloodier Tim Schafer.