Hellboy Director Switches to Videogames

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Ok. Either this could really create some great things or the mans having a midlife crisis. He's also making another Haunted Mansion disney movie so I'm going to go with the later.

Still, love Lan's Labyrinth. If he can apply something like that to video games...Well it'll certainly be interesting. At least the monster design on whatever he has in mind is guaranteed to be amazing.

FreelanceButler said:
As long as whatever game he makes doesn't include something like the weird eye-hand guy from Pan's Labyrinth, I'll probably look into it.
But after seeing how much stuff from his sketchbooks go into his movies, I doubt it'll go without a little bit of "WTF".
You didn't like the weird hand-eye guy?! Who doesn't like the weird hand-eye guy!?! That's one of the best monsters I've ever seen in a movie.

monstersquad

Jun 7, 2010
Psychotic-ishSOB said:
Hellboy 2 was awesome, I don't care what anyone says, and a guy as creative as Del Toro could be what the industry needs.
Hellboy 2 LOOKED awesome, it's just the story that really sucked balls. and the whole dark elf thing, i friggin hate dark elves these days they're so over-done.

But the main point is that Del Toro has amazing artistic vision AND the skill to pull it off in multiple medias. I just finished reading an amazing book by him called "The Thirst", its basically Blade 2 vampires taking over New York. This just proves that anything this guy puts his hand to will end up an imaginative masterpiece.

MagicMouse

Dec 31, 2009
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

God I hope he doesn't get his hands on any games I was going to look forward to.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Fuck yes. He's one of my all time favorite directors/producers after the brilliance of Pan's Labyrinth so I'm excited to see what he'd bring to the videogame world

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
sturryz said:
The movie people going into video games is whats wrong with the industry, they are trying to make games that work like a movie, short and straight forward.
I wouldn't really include Del Torro in that group just yet... sure he is a film director, but his rather unique perspective and approach to filmmaking might translate to games, and something interesting might come out of it... provided that he LISTENS to the advice he gets from people with more experience in this field when he is told that something will "absolutely NOT work for a video game"... (I'm looking at you Clive Barker).

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Heh And I was thinking to myself while watching Pan's that a lot of it could make for a pretty good videogame too. Del Toro doesn't always hit things out of the park (see Hellboy 2), but he definitely has the kind of creative vision that could make for some great games if he gets the right development staff working with him.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
his artistic vision definitely will be a huge pay off for him in Video Games.
I'm not sure about the Hobbit, but I have hopes that he won't just pigeon-hole himself into survival/surrealist horror games.

I mean sure he has a gift for creating horrifically beautiful creatures, but I think a decent fantasy game could easily come of it.

Will have to look out for this.

9of9

Feb 14, 2008
I remember him mentioning quite a while back that he really wanted to go into game design after he was finished with his current projects. I'm glad to see that he's kept to that wish, it sounded like he really did appreciate the intricacies of making a game - it'll be very interesting to see what comes out of this.

Sinclair Solutions

Jul 22, 2010
I'm in a bit of a conflict here: I LOVE Del Toro, but I don't like movie people getting involved in video games. I'd like to see what he can make before I make a decision.

DalekJaas

Dec 3, 2008
I am just glad he got out of the Hobbit, he can take his 'artistic vision' somewhere it might be wanted.

C'mon Peter Jackson!

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Maybe making a Hobbit game ala American McGee with his twisted vision put into The Hobbit... that would be interesing.

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
Oh.. My... GoD! I can't wait to se what it it! Thankfully he go away from Peter Jackson and can go on to make awesome projects like he usually does!