Trailer: Portal 2 Co-Op Doubles The Madness

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Trailer: Portal 2 Co-Op Doubles The Madness

[gametrailers=703299]

The co-op mode in Portal 2 gives players twice as many portals, and promises to drive players twice as batty.

The latest episode of GameTrailers TV featured an interview with Portal 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Portal-2-Pc/dp/B002I0JIQW] writer Eric Wolpaw and an exclusive trailer highlighting the game's co-op mode. The trailer is extremely short, but it gives players the basic idea of what they'll be doing in the Portal 2 co-op experience.

The co-op mode in Portal 2 shouldn't really be called a mode because it's an entire set of unique levels with their own storyline that are as lengthy as the single-player game. The basic premise involves the trailer's two player-controlled robot characters that were created by GlaDOS to replace humans, which we all know have proven to be trouble. The issue at hand for GlaDOS is that her tests need some kind of human observer, rather than a robot testing robots, so she puts them through practice tests and then sends them deep into the bowels of Aperture Science to find human relics.

GlaDOS's goal is to somehow make these robots more human by having them derive meaning from these relics, which may be anything from a "World's #1 Dad" mug or an old cartoon. The robots will hopefully be able to pass a human "turing test" afterward.

Wolpaw says that the reason Portal 2's co-op levels are completely different is because "four portals changes everything." More information on the co-op campaign will be available at PAX Prime [http://www.paxsite.com/paxprime/index.php] in a couple of weeks.

Source: GameTrailers TV [http://www.gametrailers.com/episode/gametrailers-tv/101?ch=2&sd=1]

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
4 portals, all the extra elements that are going in, this is gonna make me and my friends smack our heads against our desks so hard that we will probably have to go to the Emergency room :p

SteakHeart

Jul 20, 2009
I can tell that the levels will be more complex then that, but the trailer is still cool, and the 'bots are adorable.

nYuknYuknYuk

Jul 12, 2009
Awesome. Between the co-op and the new testing materials revealed at Gamescom, Portal 2 looks to be even better than Portal 1. In fact, I predict it will blow Portal 1 out of the water. It looks epic.

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
I want to play it now! The co-op is going to cause arguments though, if typical co-operative interactions between myself and my other gaming housemate are anything to go by...

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
I am very interested on playing this game coop with my brother.
Hope it doesn't has the Valve Time Syndrome.
But it sure does look far better than the original Portal, and that is an achievement, as the original was basically perfect.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
sweet...was hoping for a trailer or glimpse soon

but idk the first thought I had as I saw this was just how insanely difficult it could get! 0.0 nice

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
Hey cool, I submitted this (then again thousands of users probably submitted it).

It looks awesome, I'm always in the market for a good co-op game.

SeanTheSheep

Jun 23, 2009
This looks like so much fun, you cannot believe.
My only worry is that finding good co-op partners online is going to be like finding a toothbrush in a tree-trunk.

Avayu

Apr 15, 2009
Those robots have something of a cartoon duo. Adorable and funny.
On the topic of co-op in a puzzling game, I have really no idea how this will work out. But it sounds amazing.

Ih8pkmn

Apr 20, 2010
Woot. Let's just hope it supports Local Co-op for all of the X-bots. I am SICK of having to pay to be in an online match with someone down the street >_<

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
4 portals? I can imagine the headaches now.

Hopefully some of my friends will be picking up Portal 2...though chances are they'll likely still be playing Black Ops by then and will barely have time for anything else...

*sigh*