Borderlands Snags DLC-Encompassing "Game of the Year" Edition

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Borderlands Snags DLC-Encompassing "Game of the Year" Edition

If you missed out on last year's critically acclaimed Borderlands, now's your chance to make up for it and get some extra goodies to boot.

three million copies sold [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/6712-Review-Borderlands].

Furthermore, developer Gearbox Software supported the hell out of the game after its release, with a total of four DLC packs: Claptrap's New Robot Revolution [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96012-Borderlands-DLC-The-Zombie-Island-of-Dr-Ned-Hits-Nov-24th].

Gearbox has announced a celebration of the game's critical and commercial success - the Borderlands "Game of the Year" edition. Set for early October, this edition will include the full original game (duh), the three current DLC scenarios, and a download ticket for the upcoming Claptrap pack. It'll also include a "complete and comprehensive map" of the world of Pandora - all this for the same price as the original game ($60 for the consoles, $50 for the PC, natch)!

If you've been a dutiful Borderlands fan and have bought all of the respective DLC packs thus far, then you have no reason to pick this one up when it hits shelves for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 October 12th. If you've missed out, time to stop missing out.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
And HOW do they choose GOTY, exactly.

Borderlands was "Ok" at best. Definately not GOTY material though. Its story was non-existant, its Gameplay was grindy and really bad, and the DLC was more of a chore then anything. The enemies were too repetitive, and sparce. Really sparse.

Not to mention, it got outsold by alot of titles. Call of Duty, Im looking at you.

Anyways, grats to Borderlands. Im pretty sure this means a sequel, hopefully they can win me over.

Apr 28, 2008
Will the DLC be on the disk? Or will it be a voucher code like with RE5 Gold Edition? I ask because I don't have much hard drive space, and there's no way I can fit all of the DLC on it.

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
The only real problem with the solo game is difficulty. "piss easy" doesn't even begin to describe it. Quest guns and outleveling everything keeps you killing things effortlessly for the first 20 or so levels, then you get a lucky orange drop and you may as well play blindfolded.

The amount of cool DLC is... cool. But they really need to patch in some sort of difficulty slider. But it is funny you need to hack the game to make it legitimately harder.
Uber Waddles said:
All "Game of the year" means is someone called it "game of the year."

Personally... I can't really remember anything else from '09.

OmegaXIII

Jun 26, 2009
Hmm, i'm dubious about this being GOTY but nevertheless i think this'll be a good time for me to finally pick up a copy

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Ok, so does that mean that there isn't going to be a 5th DLC? Thought I read somewhere that they were planning 5...

bam13302

Dec 8, 2009
there are many (i think over 100 if not more) different GoTY awards, i think FO3 got over 50 of them
almost every game reviewer has their own GoTY, i expect borderlands won a handful of them
it was quite a big game after all
er IS quite a big game
looking forward to the new DLC
Uber Waddles said:

Borderlands was "Ok" at best. Definately not GOTY material though. Its story was non-existant, its Gameplay was grindy and really bad, and the DLC was more of a chore then anything. The enemies were too repetitive, and sparce. Really sparse.

Not to mention, it got outsold by alot of titles. Call of Duty, Im looking at you.

Anyways, grats to Borderlands. Im pretty sure this means a sequel, hopefully they can win me over.
btw, it is an RPG shooter, so grind is definitely in the title
and there were quite a few different enemies, more then most titles
humans +zombies +melee +migits
rakk (flying)
skag (dogs)
spiderlings (4 legged spiders)

either way, if a game was at least a moderate hit, had DLC/expansions, and won at least one GoTY, they usually make a GoTY edition
kinda nice
basically just a package deal, im not complaining even if it was a GoTY

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
Uber Waddles said:

I've often wondered about this especially since 90% of the AAA games get a "Game of the Year" edition. I mean it seems to be there would only be one Game of the Year. They really need to get a new name for these editions, when everything is the GOTY then no game is special. It's like the "Every person get's a trophy" baseball leagues parents love.

Forgetitnow344

Jan 8, 2010
I've been playing this game with friends ever since it first came out. In fact, I'm responsible for probably a dozen friends buying this game. I've played it so much that I could probably do the main storyline with my eyes closed.

I DO feel a little upset whenever a GOTY Edition comes out for the games I've been so loyal to. I've paid all $90 and I plan to pay another $10 when the next DLC pack comes out. I know I'm just whining and don't really have a valid point, but I can't be the only one who feels gypped when this happens.

Goliathvv

Nov 8, 2009
I want the map, but already have the game and all dlc. I guess ebay is the place to go then...

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
ilovemyLunchbox said:
I've been playing this game with friends ever since it first came out. In fact, I'm responsible for probably a dozen friends buying this game. I've played it so much that I could probably do the main storyline with my eyes closed.

I DO feel a little upset whenever a GOTY Edition comes out for the games I've been so loyal to. I've paid all $90 and I plan to pay another $10 when the next DLC pack comes out. I know I'm just whining and don't really have a valid point, but I can't be the only one who feels gypped when this happens.
I feel the same way, but there's worst: people were able to nag it off Steam for much less, $4.99 per DLC and $20~ for the core game.

Psydney

Oct 29, 2009
ilovemyLunchbox said:
Yeah, I know what you mean. Whenever a game I'm really excited about comes out I try to tell myself that if I wait it'll go on sale (and with Steam-available games I don't have to worry that it will just up and vanish), but I almost always buy it right away anyway.

My husband and I blanch a little when we look at our hours played for Borderlands. I'm not even sure why it's kept us occupied for so long - we almost never play through a game twice but here we are trying to level far enough to take on the "Secret Final Boss" and having a great time doing it.

Enigma6667

Apr 3, 2010
Assassin Xaero said:
Ok, so does that mean that there isn't going to be a 5th DLC? Thought I read somewhere that they were planning 5...
The fifth one is probably going to be called "Borderlands 2" and may be sold retail rather than downloadable. Figures. :p

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Enigma6667 said:
Assassin Xaero said:
The fifth one is probably going to be called "Borderlands 2" and may be sold retail rather than downloadable. Figures. :p
I'd rather have them do that then something like Awakening... $40 for an expansion? Yeah right.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Gotta love GotY editions. Don't have to piss around with making yet another account, giving someone else your credit card number, and not having anything to show for it. Fallout 3 GotY was a great deal too, even though I already had the core game. I thought about it this way, $50 was how much all the dlc's cost separately, so an extra copy of the main game was just gravy, plus no games for windows suck.

Numb1lp

Jan 21, 2009
I haven't played it, but my friend is in love with it. I'm thinking I might have to check this out.