Borderlands Snags DLC-Encompassing "Game of the Year" Edition

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
GOTY doesn't mean "Game of the Year" anymore, it means "comes with DLC".

Anyone who bought the Borderlands version with 2 DLC packs thinking that was the GOTY are gonna be a little annoyed :D

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
And so my waiting has come to an end.

Also, what Dexiro said. Sort of like when someone says that the "Value" bundle for a PS3 includes the system and a couple of fishing/sports titles for the low price of $500.

Chal

Aug 6, 2010
me and my dog said:
GamerMage said:
There. is. no. story.
And that's a bad thing, why?
Agreed, this was established rather quickly after release and I certainly don't regret the purchase.

Gameplay > Story any day.

Borderlands does shoot-em-up just as well as the next FPS, with the addition of some good ol' fashioned loot hunting and a quirky sense of humor to boot. I'll certainly get the next DLC if it looks promising, and maybe recommend GOTY to a few friends.

Colonel Alzheimer's

Jan 3, 2010
Chal said:
me and my dog said:
GamerMage said:
There. is. no. story.
Agreed, this was established rather quickly after release and I certainly don't regret the purchase.

Borderlands does shoot-em-up just as well as the next FPS, with the addition of some good ol' fashioned loot hunting and a quirky sense of humor to boot. I'll certainly get the next DLC if it looks promising, and maybe recommend GOTY to a few friends.
In my opinion Good story> Gameplay> No story> Bad story.

Chal

Aug 6, 2010
Colonel Alzheimer said:
Chal said:
me and my dog said:
GamerMage said:
There. is. no. story.

A good story never hurts, but I definitely rank gameplay above a good story. KotOR's story didn't save it from being dreadfully dull to me, and my list of top games includes gems like Dwarf Fortress and Mount and Blade. Different strokes for different folks, naturally.

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
While "fun" is a matter of personal opinion, Borderlands wasn't fun. It was not as good of a shooter as any other FPS; the enemies were sparse and repeated. The Quest system was just boring as well, it had the WoW quest system (go here, kill 10 and/or bring proof), but with no motivation. The enemies werent varied, and sparse inbetween. I would have had a MUCH better time with this game if it was packed with enemies, that way it atleast PRETENDED to be a fast-paced action shooter. Even the graphics, which were praised, were bland. It was cell shaded brown, samey environments. And without enemies to fill it up, it got bland. FAST.

I see the debate of Gameplay > Story and vice versa. Personally, I can see both sides. Ill allow a game to slack if one of the aspects picks up for the other. But it didnt.

As for a few other comments, not all Triple A games reach GOTY. In fact, I think Oblivion, Fallout, Left 4 Dead, Modern Warfare, and Arkam Asylum are the only GOTY games so far; each I dont have a problem with. They sold well, and were fairly entertaining.

Borderlands, however, didnt. If you like or hate it, thats fine. But it didnt sell THAT well, and even if you liked it, there are better games.

Colonel Alzheimer's

Jan 3, 2010
Chal said:
Colonel Alzheimer said:
Chal said:
me and my dog said:
GamerMage said:
There. is. no. story.

A good story never hurts, but I definitely rank gameplay above a good story. KotOR's story didn't save it from being dreadfully dull to me, and my list of top games includes gems like Dwarf Fortress and Mount and Blade. Different strokes for different folks, naturally.
Yeah, I actually feel like I'm in the minority when it comes to liking story over gameplay. Just look at the prevalence of multiplayer. Not that there's anything wrong with liking gameplay over story. As you said, different strokes for different folks.
This is exactly why I love the Escapist so much. It's so warm and fuzzy here. Anywhere else and this Gamplay vs. Story business would have turned in to a flamewar.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Theses GOTY editions always make me feel like I'm being punished for paying a total of way more than $60 for being loyal and paying full price for all their DLC. Like I might be a chump.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
Even if you didn't like the game, you have to agree that it's a good buy.
The game, and all the DLCs for the price of just the game.

I've always felt that doing this was kind of a "screw you" to the people that bought all the DLCs and spent a ton on it separately.

This might be a good enough reason to buy the game. I liked it when I rented it, but didn't think I liked it enough to buy it. I can't pass up a deal like this, though.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
ilovemyLunchbox said:
I DO feel a little upset whenever a GOTY Edition comes out for the games I've been so loyal to. I've paid all $90 and I plan to pay another $10 when the next DLC pack comes out. I know I'm just whining and don't really have a valid point, but I can't be the only one who feels gypped when this happens.

-cough- Oblivion -cough- Fallout -cough-

GotY are kinda....I dont know...dumb? I mean I spent my $10 and now because Johnny McFrugal didnt want Borderlands @ release he can spend $60 and get $40 for free?

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Lt. Vinciti said:
ilovemyLunchbox said:
I DO feel a little upset whenever a GOTY Edition comes out for the games I've been so loyal to. I've paid all $90 and I plan to pay another $10 when the next DLC pack comes out. I know I'm just whining and don't really have a valid point, but I can't be the only one who feels gypped when this happens.

-cough- Oblivion -cough- Fallout -cough-

GotY are kinda....I dont know...dumb? I mean I spent my $10 and now because Johnny McFrugal didnt want Borderlands @ release he can spend $60 and get $40 for free?
Having it early has a value. You paid more for it because you got to play it a soon as it came out. The people getting this box are the ones who don't mind being a year behind. Both are markets that the publishers are trying to serve.

Chal

Aug 6, 2010
Colonel Alzheimer said:
Chal said:
Colonel Alzheimer said:
Chal said:
me and my dog said:
GamerMage said:
There. is. no. story.

Yeah, I actually feel like I'm in the minority when it comes to liking story over gameplay. Just look at the prevalence of multiplayer. Not that there's anything wrong with liking gameplay over story. As you said, different strokes for different folks.
This is exactly why I love the Escapist so much. It's so warm and fuzzy here. Anywhere else and this Gamplay vs. Story business would have turned in to a flamewar.
D'aww, now you got me feeling nice. In any case, there are plenty of different experiences out there no matter your preference. The Escapist is a big supporter of Bioware and Valve, which I think are both great studios. When it all comes down to it though, I ask myself "Am I having fun?"

I can understand people finding Borderlands bland and empty, but having a desolate world seemed like the kind of atmosphere they were going for. I thought there was plenty of variety: You could simplify things to "You're only killing Skags," but then you look up the list and see that there are pups, whelps, spitters, elders, alphas, and 7 different bad ass types.

Maybe it's just because I knew what I was getting myself into, expecting more of a "Diablo with guns" than "Crazy amount of weapons in a Fallout 3-ish RPG" that I ended up enjoying it, but I digress.

Thanks for sharing another POV. It really is nice to be part of such a laid-back community.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I don't want to get a GOTY edition I just want the secret armory DLC and I suppose that new one bundled together like they did with the first two

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
It wasn't the best game of the year, (Rogue Warrior was, obviously), but it was still a pretty damn good one.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Totally agreed! If people do not have it already they should do - Because it is epic, awesome - and simpl win!

Playing through it again on PC with some friends - Love that Coop