72 Percent of Adults Support California Game Law - UPDATED

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
72 Percent of Adults Support California Game Law - UPDATED

Common Sense Media [http://www.commonsensemedia.org/] claims that 72 percent of adults are in favor of California's attempt to legislate the sale of violent videogames to minors because the industry isn't doing enough to protect children from inappropriate content.

The videogame industry enjoys a higher rate of age-rating compliance than any other entertainment medium in the world. The ESRB [http://www.esrb.org] not only provides comprehensive ratings for virtually every videogame on the market but also makes significant efforts to keep parents educated and informed about how the ratings work and why they're important. Game consoles even feature parental locks to help ensure that parents have the final say about what their kids play. But opinions often have little to do with facts, as evidenced by poll numbers released by Common Sense Media indicating that three-quarters of parents believe the game industry isn't doing enough to protect their children.

A survey of 2100 adults from across the U.S. found that 72 percent were in support of California's attempt to ban the sale of "ultraviolent" videogames to minors, the group said. 65 percent of parents claimed they're worried about the impact of such games on their children while 75 percent gave the videogame industry's efforts to protect children a "negative" rating.

"The results of this poll clearly show that not only do the effects of ultraviolent or sexually violent games weigh heavily on the minds of parents, but also that parents feel the videogame industry is not doing enough to protect kids from accessing these games," said Common Sense Media founder and CEO James Steyer.

To support its position that videogames are a festering cesspit of gratuitous violence and misogyny, Common Sense Media has posted a montage of outtakes from videogames like Manhunt [http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Theft-Auto-San-Andreas-Xbox/dp/B0007ZD79E/ref=sr_1_4?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1284398504&sr=1-4], broken down into categories like Violence Against Women, Violence Against Law Enforcement and Racial Stereotypes. The group describes the video as "footage of the type of videogame violence under discussion in this case."

The Supreme Court of the United States is scheduled to hear arguments on California's proposed ban on the sale of violent videogames to minors on November 2. "The Supreme Court's decision is going to have a huge impact on families and kids across the country," Steyer continued. "What we've learned from this poll is that parents want to be the ones who decide which games their kids play, not the videogame industry."

UPDATE: Common Sense Media provided us with a breakdown of the poll's methodology and narrative summary, and thus we pass it on to you. Commissioned by CSM and conducted by Zogby International, the online survey collected the opinions of 2100 adults, with "slight weights" added to region, party, age, race, gender and education "to more accurately reflect the population." The margin of error is +/- 2.2 percentage points and the questions are as follows:

1. Would you support or oppose a law that prohibits minors from purchasing videogames that depict killing, maiming or sexually assaulting an image of a human being? (Support: Adults 72 percent, parents 72 percent; Oppose: Adults 22 percent, parents 24 percent)

2. How concerned are you about the impact of ultra-violent videogames on your child? (Very/Somewhat Concerned: Adults 61 percent, parents 65 percent; Somewhat Unconcerned/Not at all concerned: Adults 28 percent, parents 31 percent)

3. How would you rate the videogame industry when it comes to protecting kids from accessing violent videogames? (Excellent/Good: Adults 12 percent, parents 13 percent; Fair/poor: Adults 76 percent, parents 75 percent)

via: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/30374/Common_Sense_Media_Claims_72_Percent_Support_Game_Ratings_Bill_.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GamasutraNews+%28Gamasutra+News%29]

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
I always hate when it comes out about parents not thinking gaming companies don't do enough, I consider it just as much their responsibility to occasionally walk into their sons/daughters room and casually glance at what age rating his games are. If their over his age, then take them away.

Though I'm not a parent, maybe I don't understand the complexities of the issue.

I wonder what the long term effects of this ban would do to the gaming industry if put into force.

EDIT: I decided this seemed quite relevant when we are talking about surveys.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
Pardon me, but I thought its a job of fucking parents to protect their children from inappropriate content.

Cor Blimey...

nash_clovis

Jun 5, 2009
Or how about you tell your kid what you think is appropriate/not appropriate right off the bat before they get their hands on these games instead of letting the government do it for you? American parents should learn how to be parents instead of figureheads.

Jan 29, 2009
Well, it is THE PLAYER'S CHOICE TO DO SO IN THESE GAMES. THEY DECIDED WHAT TO DO.
Besides, beating up people is NOT my idea of Ultraviolent. It's brutal, but I was expecting them to show more gory games.

Again, ANY VIOLENCE IN A GAME IS UP TO THE PLAYER TO COMMIT. THEY ARE NOT FORCED TO DO SO. With certain exceptions, such as
bioshock
. Also, just be a better parent, instead of expecting the government to be the parents.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
The video game industry doesn't do enough to keep the games out of the hands of minors? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME!?! Seriously, to all parents, it is YOUR JOB to control what your kids do, NOT the governments! And besides, 99.9% of retailers don't sell M rated games to people without ID, so suck it!

/rant.

Thanks for the article Andy. I hope to God, Yahweh, Allah, Odin, Vishnu, and Zeus that we win this case.

VaderMan92

Sep 9, 2010
just look at the questions they asked in the survey. like "do you think the video game companies are doing enough to protect your kids?" of courser not because its not their job its the parents job. its so easy to fudge surveys all you have to do is ask the right group of people the right questions and claim its an unbiased survey.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Mornelithe said:
This poll clearly shows once again, parents giving more control to the government, because they refuse to be parents. Grow up, it's not the government, or societies job to make sure your kids acquiesce to your rules. That's your job.
Indeed.
DAM YOU AMERICA!
ruining games for the rest of us.
[small]No offence to America, Just Americas parents and government[/small]

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Mornelithe said:
This poll clearly shows once again, parents giving more control to the government, because they refuse to be parents. Grow up, it's not the government, or societies job to make sure your kids acquiesce to your rules. That's your job.
This.

If parents actually did some goddamn parenting, we wouldn't be having this argument. Instead, we may be looking at a world where 14-year-olds are going to juvie because they purchased a copy of Halo or Grand Theft Auto.

Feb 13, 2008
Common Sense Media claims that 72 percent of adults are in favor of California's attempt to legislate the sale of violent videogames to minors because the industry isn't doing enough to protect children from inappropriate content.
Here's a quick thought. In fact a pair of them.

1) What more could they do?
2) Why the fuck aren't you doing it instead?

Matt_LRR

Unequivocal Fan Favorite
Nov 30, 2009
Holy shit that's a terrifying finding. Like, how much more is the industry supposed to do?

This is an uphill battle, and it's made far worse by people's ignorance and willingness to believe the worst. The most ridiculous part is that despite all the information the industry puts out, parents, even those concerned about violence still dismiss all games as kids toys.

Just yesterday, while working in a game store, I told a mother buying her 12 year old son a copy of GTA:Vice City Stories that the game was age rated 17+ and her response was:

"Oh, he doesn't turn the violence on, he just plays it for the racing."

wut.

-m

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
So parents want control of what their children play by making it the government's job? How does that make sense.

SomeBoredGuy

Nov 18, 2009
I have to laugh at the name "Common Sense Media". Since parents with common sense should be able to decide themselves that these games are too violent for their children, not just lay back and expect the government to do their parenting for them.

Zerbye

Aug 1, 2008
"72 percent were in support of California's attempt to ban the sale of "ultraviolent" videogames to minors"
Interpretation: People think minors should not be sold "ultraviolent" videogames.

"65 percent of parents claimed they're worried about the impact of such games on their children"
Interpretation: People care about what games their kids play.

"75 percent gave the videogame industry's efforts to protect children a "negative" rating"
Interpretation: People think the videogame industry is not worried about protecting the children.

"What we've learned from this poll is that parents want to be the ones who decide which games their kids play, not the videogame industry."
Their interpretation: parents are incapable of controlling what games their kids play. Yes, we all suck as parents.

Last I checked, the videogame industry wasn't handing out free games. This survey just shows that the public at large either doesn't know about the ESRB or think it's an ineffective regulator.

Parnage

Apr 13, 2010
72% of Adults in that poll are complete idiots huh? Good to know. I wish I could not care enough to just throw all responsibility to government authority.

Javex

Mar 15, 2010
Pardon me if I'm wrong, but isn't this the norm? I got ID'ed to buy Mafia 2 the other day because the cashier didn't think I was 17 (I'm 21, lol). Isn't it already illegal to sell these games to minors? Isn't that why there's a rating system in the first place?

What will this Californian law change?

randomrob

Aug 5, 2009
I'm sooo glad I don't live in America. :) Ah The UK. We're so great at the whole freedom thing. :)

TheComedown

Aug 24, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Steyer continued. "What we've learned from this poll is that parents want to be the ones who decide which games their kids play, not the videogame industry."
Steyer you idiot, you just solved your own problem, let the parents step up and take control for crying out loud, the government is not a baby sitting service, neither are video games. If parents don't want their kids playing something, they should have the balls to say no when their snotty little brats kick and scream. It's their own fault the kids are like that in the first place. FFS don't have kids if you don't want to raise them.

/rant...

Apr 28, 2008
Don't want your kids playing violent games? DON'T BUY THEM THE GAMES!

Its that easy. Don't know what games are violent? As the guy who's processing your order. If your at a gamestop, chances are they're a gamer, and they'll know.

Its that easy. Seriously, YOU have to buy the games for the kids, no store will sell violent games to them.

EDIT: Wow, the update doesn't exactly make me feel any better. Then again thats to be expected.

Parents, its not the industries job of stopping kids from playing violent games. Its your job. Despite this we do all we can, yet you still just seem to wave it off. If your kid gets a violent game, its your fault. Plain and simple.