72 Percent of Adults Support California Game Law - UPDATED

IckleMissMayhem

Oct 18, 2009
Mornelithe said:
This poll clearly shows once again, parents giving more control to the government, because they refuse to be parents. Grow up, it's not the government, or societies job to make sure your kids acquiesce to your rules. That's your job.
And it doesn't help when said parents buy the games for their kids, then raise hell when they find Junior stabbing hookers on GTA IV. Neither will these new laws.

DeASplode

Nov 26, 2009
Surely Ultra Violent Video games cannot be sold to kids because they don't reach the age limit?

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
manythings said:
Will this law only govern the sale? Like if I buy it and a younger cousin plays it have I broken a law? (Not that I care much all the way over here in Ireland.)
I don't know, from what I know the law's explanation (and that ain't much) is as murky as "don't feed your mogwai after midnight."

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
imnotparanoid said:
manythings said:
The Great JT said:
Mornelithe said:
This poll clearly shows once again, parents giving more control to the government, because they refuse to be parents. Grow up, it's not the government, or societies job to make sure your kids acquiesce to your rules. That's your job.
This.

If parents actually did some goddamn parenting, we wouldn't be having this argument. Instead, we may be looking at a world where 14-year-olds are going to juvie because they purchased a copy of Halo or Grand Theft Auto.
In my experience 14 year olds are dick heads anyway so that's no huge loss. Will this law only govern the sale? Like if I buy it and a younger cousin plays it have I broken a law? (Not that I care much all the way over here in Ireland.)
Oh thanks.
Im a 14 year old and Im getting halo.
CANT WAIT!
sorry.
Well I ll just leave then If you dont whant me. D=
Depends are you going to start posting about how awesome halo is and pwning? If not you can stay... For now (Shakes fist)

Jaded Scribe

Mar 29, 2010
What I want to know is HOW the ESRB is not doing enough.

They are lauded as the most consistent of all the ratings systems. The rating box shows the rating, suggested age, and why the game earned that rating.

Where are they falling short here?

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
manythings said:
imnotparanoid said:
manythings said:
The Great JT said:
Mornelithe said:
This.

If parents actually did some goddamn parenting, we wouldn't be having this argument. Instead, we may be looking at a world where 14-year-olds are going to juvie because they purchased a copy of Halo or Grand Theft Auto.
In my experience 14 year olds are dick heads anyway so that's no huge loss. Will this law only govern the sale? Like if I buy it and a younger cousin plays it have I broken a law? (Not that I care much all the way over here in Ireland.)
Oh thanks.
Im a 14 year old and Im getting halo.
CANT WAIT!
sorry.
Well I ll just leave then If you dont whant me. D=
Depends are you going to start posting about how awesome halo is and pwning? If not you can stay... For now (Shakes fist)
Well Halo is awsome but I have never used the word pwning online.
Because I dont have it.
Also I hate stupid parents.

Seatownstriker

May 19, 2010
Really? Parents need to learn to control their children. You can blame the video games all you want. When it really comes down to it, studies have show parents play a huge role in what their children decide to do.

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
Tiamat666 said:
Wow, those "Common Sense" players sure are sick, sick bastards.

I mean, you don't -have- to beat up prostitutes or pee on people in those games. I guess they're enjoying it.
I was thinking the same......

nYuknYuknYuk

Jul 12, 2009
Kids can't buy em by themselves, need a parent to buy them for them. If parents don't want their kids playing violent videogames, don't get em.

Ken Sapp

Cat Herder
Apr 1, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
"What we've learned from this poll is that parents want to be the ones who decide which games their kids play, not the videogame industry."
Since when are the parents not the ones who decide what their kids are allowed to play? If they were being parents the quoted statement would not apply. What the surveyors are actually trying to get at is not the barring of the sale of the games to minors as the industry already does a pretty good job in policing itself. What the surveyors are really trying to accomplish is to completely ban the games from even being made.

Edit: For those who don't know the majority of America has no laws regulating the sale of videogames just as there are no laws regulating movie admission. The industry regulates itself, it is in their best interest to do so by setting game ratings(ESRB) and enforcing those restrictions on itself at the register.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
All this poll proves to me is that American Parents now a days are lazy. When I was younger my parents wouldn't let me have M rated games. However now I am 17, and I can buy them at my leisure (When I have money, which I don't) whenever I want.

Seriously, all those stereotypes about America everyone jokes about seem more and more likely each day :\

The Bertard

Sep 7, 2010
I do understand why gamers are against this and agree that parents should care for there kids.

But I dont see it having that much of an impact. In the UK you cannot sell games to minors if its age rated. if it 18 rated it cant be sold to anyone under the age of 18 without ID. And for the thats common sense. Its the same as alcohol and ciggaretts.

I appologise if I have got the wrong end of the stick on this but I dont see it having the impact that everyone is saying.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Why dont they just combine the responsibility of the FCC to the gaming industry as well? not only then the ratings would have to be treated as law but also money/resources are being saved on having to create a new body.

ERSB can remain to relive some pressure off the FCC by rating a few games or rating children/adult games in general.

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
DVSAurion said:
The problem with the montage is not the games' ultraviolence, but the player being a dick. Not very impressive.
I just love how its always the bit from GTA:SA, where you make the decision to pick up a whore, you drive her somewhere 'secluded,' (so CJ and the whore can sit completely motionless in the bouncing vehicle... while their mouths move), then once the little animation is done, you get out and you beat the whore to death until money appears in her general vicinity.

Its not like theres a mission telling you to pick up a whore and murder her for her money.
mad825 said:
Why dont they just combine the responsibility of the FCC to the gaming industry as well? not only then the ratings would have to be treated as law but also money/resources are being saved on having to create a new body.

ERSB can remain to relive some pressure off the FCC by rating a few games or rating children/adult games in general.
The involvement of any government agency is bad.

Fun fact, the only television regulated by the FCC is that which is broadcast over 'air.' So cable, satellite, and fiber optic television are completely unregulated. Yet they act like they are... because they're afraid the FCC might step in and start regulating them.

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
"What we've learned from this poll is that parents want to be the ones who decide which games their kids play, not the videogame industry."
Parents already do this. Its infuriating how stupid some people can be. You don't want your kids to play violent games? Don't let them. Its called parenting, give it a try some time.

Cyrax987

Aug 3, 2009
Wait so they want to control what games their kids play and not the videogame industry? Seriously thats what its set up as right now. In my state if you're under the age of 17 or look like it they I.D. you and if you are not the correct age they will not sell it to you.

The ESRB clearly identifies what kind of game it is with their rating system with a good description for the reasoning for that rating and the parents have the choice to buy that game for their kids. Stop buying the games for your kids if you don't want them playing that stuff.