Nintendo's "Birthplace of Mario" Demolished

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Nintendo's "Birthplace of Mario" Demolished

Nintendo of America's old headquarters - where mascot Mario supposedly got his name - has been bulldozed to the ground.

Though I've never heard of the story as anything other than apocryphal, there is a popular maybe-legend-maybe-fact surrounding how the world's most recognizable videogame character got his name. After Nintendo of America moved from its old headquarters in New York City across the country to Redmond, Washington, then-president Minoru Arakawa noticed that the mustachioed landlord of their new building looked awfully like their nameless "Jumpman" character from Donkey Kong.

His name was Mario Segale. And thus, Jumpman received a proper moniker - and considering that (if Segale had had a different name) we could have been playing Super Giovanni Bros? I think we lucked out.

After remaining in the same headquarters for almost thirty years, however, Nintendo of America has moved to a shiny, more attractive new office - and the place where Mario was given his name has been demolished. A CVG reader [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=264572] sent pictures of the rubble to our colleagues on the other side of the pond, and while it doesn't look like anything more than a normal demolition site, I can't help but feel like I should be playing the classic "Game Over" music as I flip through the gallery.

Of course, Nintendo big boss Satoru Iwata has high hopes for the new place, saying that he believes the new HQ "will help employees to be even more creative and productive, and continue to put smiles on the faces of our consumers." He's probably not wrong; it's always nice to move into a nicer, better work-space.

But couldn't they have left the old building standing? You're destroying a piece of history, people!

More pictures of the demolition can be found over at CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=264572].

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Its pretty ironic it has gotten torn down around same time of the Birthday XD One hell of a present

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Videogame history, destroyed forever!!

[sub]I'm just kidding, by the way. Just so no one misunderstands me.[/sub]

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Awwww.
Its sad to see the building, it would have been cool if they had turned it into a Museum of sorts.

Mr. GameBrain

Aug 10, 2009
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Head Asplodes*

Truly tragic. That building belonged in a museum! >:/

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
This is rather sad. Assuming the legend is true, one would think they'd want to preserve the building. Mario is world famous, after all.

BlueHighwind

Jan 24, 2010
They should destroy Japan and rebuild the islands so that they're now in the shape of Mario. Tokyo-2 can rest on his nose.

Coliumbos

Mar 15, 2010
Apparently this is my generation's Berlin Wall.

"Where were you, sucka, when the Brawl came down?"

Numachuka

Sep 3, 2010
Oh dear. Does that mean they will stop making Mario games now and have to come up with something new?

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
I suppose I should be sad right about now, but I'm not.

I've never been a huge fan of Mario and I've never really liked his games all that much. It's not like it's being demolished in place of a strip mall, it'll be rebuilt as a new building. And who knows, maybe that building can be known for something other then being in the same plot of Land where Mario got his name.