Sony: We Are an Innovative Company

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Sony: We Are an Innovative Company

Peter Dille, the man in charge of SCEA's marketing, says that Sony isn't a "me too" kind of company, and that it has broken new ground over and over again.

Last week was the fifteenth anniversary of the PlayStation's release in the U.S., and looking back over the last decade and a half, Dille says that Sony has constantly come up with fresh ideas to implement in its consoles.

"I was here in '95 so I remember what it was like," Dille said. "I've always regarded Sony as an innovator; it's not a 'me too' company." He cites the introduction of CD-ROM, DVD and Blu-Ray into gaming consoles, and technologies like the EyeToy, PlayStation Home, and PlayStation Move as examples of how Sony had broken new ground. He added that it was gratifying that Sony's innovation wasn't just limited to a single area, but spanned the range of console and software development.

While it's undeniable that Sony has done some pretty special things for consoles, Dille's examples leave a little something to be desired. Whether it's the Sega CD and TurboGrafx-16 using CD-ROMs years before the PlayStation, or Move using the same template that the Wii used for its controller, his list needs a few qualifiers to be completely accurate.

Source: Industry Gamers [http://www.industrygamers.com/news/sony-not-a-me-too-company-says-scea-exec/]

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
I wouldn't say innovative, more like improving. Or trying to.

Sometimes, company guys should think before speaking stuffs out loud.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
FargoDog said:
I second that motion.

I can't see how Move is innovative... Unless it's a combined controller/beer dispenser.

Now that's innovation.

Autofaux

Aug 31, 2009
There's something about this generation where all three companies are in some kind of shit. Microsoft has few exclusive titles, Nintendo struggles to push any software that isn't churned out by them, and Sony.. is the underdog.

Like some kind of mirror universe, Star Trek style.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
FargoDog said:
So Sony is essentially saying this..

Isn't simply a tricked out version of this..

I sense shenanigans.
I see what you did there, you crafty bastard you...

But just because they got there FIRST doens't mean they did their best. I have honestly never seen a SINGLE person use the Eye Toy.

And Playstation home isn't a simply more "Realistic"* sense of the Mii?

*Realistic because the Miis are tiny, creepy cartoon characters

Uber Waddles

May 13, 2010
... really?

Sony, I love ya, but you are far from innovative. You take the competitors ideas all the time and make them into your own; not only in the gaming market either. Theres nothing wrong with that, if you can take something and refine it, go ahead and do it. But don't claim to be pioneers. You have helped introduce a lot of nifty things to the general public, but most of those ideas weren't even yours to begin with.

Not all innovation is good either. Look at BluRay; while it is disputeable, I still stick firmly with my opinion that it is inferior to DVD. It holds more data, yes, but its also extremely slow. Having to download games to your hard-drive is a bit of a QQ, but ends up being a deciding factor in my "which console should I get it for?" decision making. Work should be done on making DVD formats better, or something that can hold larger ammounts of data then BluRay; BluRay is just a waste of time, money, and energy to Sony and the consumers.

Also, for my final point... *points at PlayStation Move*

One of your lead executives compared it to the Wii, as well as EVERYONE who has played a demo on it.

I love ya Sony, and you have made some GREAT products... But you're not that innovative. No more so then any other company out there.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Yea... you have to love when people don't care about telling the truth as long as they're making a company look better. Hell, I'd say that the Move was innovative and interesting if they paid me.

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
A while ago I watched a video from MovieBob's gaming blog "The game overthinker" where he analizes Sony's big succeses in the console market arguing that their biggest advantage in the last two generations lied in their oppononents mistakes, rather than their capacity for innovation.
Bob is kind of too nintendo-infatuated for his own good but the video itself is very well done. I encourage you to watch it.

JPH330

Blogger Person
Jan 31, 2010
Okay, in turns of CD, DVD and Blu-Ray, yeah, I'll give them that.

But as far as the other three go, those aren't innovative at all, they just ripped off other companies' creations.

IzisviAziria

Nov 9, 2008
Kapol said:
Yea... you have to love when people don't care about telling the truth as long as their making a company look better. Hell, I'd say that the Move was innovative and interesting if they paid me.
I'd prefer it were true, but being paid to say it sounds more likely.

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
I thought abou this actually. The only thing sony has bought to the console market is the ability to play dvds on games consoles.

polygon

Jan 28, 2009
Why is every single press statement Sony makes full of laughable horseshit? It's getting seriously crazy at this point.

Riku'sTwilight

Dec 21, 2009
GeneticallyModifiedDucks said:
Well, they're trying at least. And even succeed every now and then. Which is certainly more than what Microsoft and/or Nintendo can hope for.
Are you saying that Nintendo hasn't suceeded in their innovation?
What about:

Shoulder buttons,
Analogue sticks,
Vibration in controllers,
Motion controls.

All of these devices (apart from the recent motion control) have been commonplace within gaming and are now standard.

Look at your controller of choice and think that without Nintendo half of those features wouldn't be there

Michailov

Oct 15, 2009
They say that when they've had the same horrible and retarded Controllers since day1? YepYep.

Their controllers is the only reason I own a 360 and not a Ps3 <,<