Question of the Day, September 23, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, September 23, 2010

After playing as the main character in a videogame - developing skills, upgrading armor, experiencing defeats and victories - how do you feel when the game ultimately ends with his or her death? Is this a poor choice on the developer's end or just good storytelling?

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
If it fits with the story and genre, like
Halo: Reach
then I'm cool with it, but I was kinda pissed when it happened in Fallout 3.

Then I got Broken Steel, and all was good in Post-Apocalyptia.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
It needs to fit the story,
Red Dead Redemption or FFVII (not the main character,but still). If it's a character you can't relate to, like the characters who get killed in MW2, it's just not as impacting. And the whole point of killing them is impact.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
If it fits into the story, then its a dramatic and powerful story telling device. Otherwise, if its done poorly can feel really cheated.

Godo example - Mass Effect 2

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Like almost anything, it can be done well or it can be done poorly.

reg42

Mar 18, 2009
I am Omega said:
It needs to fit the story, like, say
Red Dead Redemption or FFVII (not the main character,but still).
If it's a character you can't relate to, like the characters who get killed in MW2, it's just not as impacting. And the whole point of killing them is impact.
Nice spoiler right there

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
y isnt there a "Freshing" option! cause it is refreshing to see that happen from time to time. Whether it fits or not. Im all for seeing your hero die. Reach's conclusion was already known :p

I <3 the option in ME2 where you can have everyone die at the end. Thought that was refreshing to be given the option. It would be awesome if u can use that Save File in the ME3 and see how that would be tied in XD

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
If the game actually ENDS when they die, I'm cool with it.

Stuff like FF7, where I leveled the character a lot, was NOT cool.

Mar 30, 2010
I'm fine with it, as long as it fits with the overall plot and isn't just put in for the hell of it. Examples of games that do this well are:
CoD 4, Red Dead Redemption, and Reach. CoD 4's player death was so unexpected it really helped to draw the player in and move the story forward, as not only were the SAS soldiers fighting to avenge their fallen Ranger comrades, but the player was fighting on to avenge their own death. Red Dead's player death comes at the end of a long road just as the tortured John Marston has finally found some sembelence of peace, and is particularly poignant for that reason. Reach's player death is inevitable from the start of the game, and is essential in bringing closure to the main campaign.
Games that just fling in player deaths (Modern Warfare 2, I'm looking at you!) just so that reviewers will write things like "powerful", "gripping" and "moving" in their reviews are (in a way) cheapening the well done player deaths, as the more this piece of storytelling is used the more it will become a cliche.

Bottom line: If done well, player deaths can enhance and elevate the plot of a game. If done badly, they can be infuriating and ultimately meaningless.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I don't mind it if the game hasn't tried to connect you to a character

Like when Kratos "dies" at the end of GoW3

But in a game like Fallout 3, where you have struggled personally with your character and evolved him into whatever you make of him/her to the point where your very decisions affect the survival of said character, and the game goes and kills you off in an unavoidable end game if you have tried to be the best you can. That annoys me.

I mean; yes Broken Steel fixes that but the original ending is you dying which was a poor choice in my opinion.

Plus (I'm on a roll now) Fallout 3 actually rewards you in the very end for being a douche by not sending your character to die in the Purifier and actually rewarding you with staying alive!

stranamente

Jun 13, 2009
Personally I think that if the story justifies it, it's somehow ok.
Dragon age even warns you about the fact that you may die because of your choices, so you can take different paths if you want
But in some way, I feel slightly cheated at the same time...

Ben Legend

Apr 16, 2009
If it fits then yes. I can only think of a handful of games that I have played that have done this. And even less that have done it well.

Sam Warrior

Feb 13, 2010
As said above some games do it well others totally fail in the ending department.

{Red Dead ending was good if a little depressing seeing your character which youve spent the game playing and bonding with get minced by a whole bunch of FBI guys. whereas fallout 3 just pissed me off, specially seeing as I had a perfectly useful supermutent standing next to me who would have probably enjoyed a quick trip into a high radiation area. I think the worst ending I've ever seen was Alone in the dark (ps3 version), good gameplay, reasonable story with a couple interesting twists then end of game you get a choice between killing the girl you love and letting her become the devil, that pissed me off specially considering there wasnt even a boss fight or conclusive ending following that choice.}

Keepitclean

Sep 16, 2009
In some cases it is used to instill drama cheaply, this I'm not ok with. Most of the games that kill off the main character at the end do it to fit the story, that is fine.

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
Depends on the game. Sometimes im unhappy about it. Sometimes i feel its a cheap shot, other times im happy because i didnt give a damn about it.

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
I can think of a good way to do it, and a bad way:

Good way: Dragon Age: Origins, where your character can make the ultimate sacrifice to stop the darkspawn menace.
Bad way: Neverwinter Nights 2, where ROCKS FALL, EVERYONE DIES.

DanielDeFig

Oct 22, 2009
If it fits into the story, then its usually fine. These games usually end there (where i'll feel a little cheated as its probably JRPG where ive spent 100+ hrs lvlng), or give you a related character with the same skills and experience.