3DS SpotPass Downloads Have Potential for Spam

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
3DS SpotPass Downloads Have Potential for Spam

Downloading new game content while your 3DS is asleep is a great feature, but downloading spam is not.

One of Nintendo's big new features in the 3DS is SpotPass, which enables the handheld to download new content from Wi-Fi hotspots while it's in sleep mode. Nintendo has advertised that SpotPass could be used to receive game data, free software, pictures, and more in a specifications sheet, but Nintendo president Satoru Iwata recently told investors that the technology has the potential to download unwanted ads as well.

When Iwata was asked on an investors call whether ads could also be pushed to the 3DS, he said that Nintendo has partnered with television broadcasters to distribute 3D videos to the 3DS through methods such as SpotPass, and these broadcasters rely on advertising income. Nintendo is going to "investigate the potential of ad income which can be gained from short but attractive 3D images," Iwata said.

Luckily, Nintendo realizes that without tight controls on advertising, SpotPass could quickly become a nuisance in the 3DS rather than a strength. Iwata continued: "One thing which we are extremely careful about is that with SpotPass, while it is a new mechanism with the potential to explore an attractive future, Nintendo 3DS could become a platform which users consider as one for myriads of spam-like ads to arrive if we were to handle it poorly."

Nintendo hopes to guard the 3DS from downloading content that is "unnecessary or even upsetting" and is looking for a "perfect balance" between information that can earn revenue for free content providers and information that customers wouldn't want to see. Iwata ensured investors that Nintendo will be keeping a close watch on the feature.

To protect children, Nintendo barely lets people that own the Wii play its own first-party games together without submitting to a genetic test, so I don't see Nintendo somehow allowing male enhancement ads to worm their way into an 8-year-old's 3DS system. Nonetheless, with an innovative feature that actually seeks out Wi-Fi hotspots without any intervention by a human being, I can definitely see the potential for mistakes. Or at least really annoying 3D ads for wholesome products, like cookies or cartoons, that just won't go away. Maybe spam will become so engrossing thanks to the 3DS' screen that nobody will even care.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=268896]

fulano

Oct 14, 2007
No.

No matter how hard Nintendo tries, lots of kids will get their first look at what an erect 3D penis looks like thanks to the 3DS. Mark my words.

Also, Fox News will rant.

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
unabomberman said:
No.

No matter how hard Nintendo tries, lots of kids will get their first look at what an erect 3D penis looks like thanks to the 3DS. Mark my words.

Also, Fox News will rant.
I think it's more important to realize that most kids will probably see 3D boobs first. Just saying. And Fox News will rant about anything, just like every other news station does.

On topic: I think SpotPass has enormous potential for good content and unwanted content. I just hope that it's more of the former and less of the latter, because I don't want the 1st major portable 3D device to tank because of security holes.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Spam or no spam, I think that designing a device which automatically tries to steal wifi from anywhere you go is kind of a dick move.

P.S. Thanks

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Covarr said:
Spam or no spam, I think that designing a device which automatically tries to steal wifi from anywhere you go is kind of a dick move.

P.S. Thanks
Not to mention flat-out illegal in some areas, like New Jersey.

Ironwampa

Dec 7, 2009
If the hot pass feature allows people to upload adds couldn't some dickish hacker with no life use the feature to upload viruses to other peoples' systems?

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
Boy, I can't wait for someone on /b/ to figure out to bypass that. Won't that be a joy?

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
Like everything else that has to do with Nintendo, the idea is good in "theory", but in practice however....

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
If Nintendo cares even remotely about it's customers, it will give the option to turn off SpotPass.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Covarr said:
Yeah, watch the number of hotspots drop as people find their bandwidth being raped en masse and start securing it properly. I consider that an upside, though...

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
When he said "spam" in the Q+A, he was referring to basically anything that a player would rather not see, and when he was quoted on "perfect balance" in this article, he was actually talking about the way they "must create a perfect balance between the value of the information to be delivered and whether or not our consumers will welcome this information," so he was kinda quoted incorrectly here.
I don't think he was in any way referring to the device being hacked. (which seems very unlikely to me) He was just giving a heads up that there will probably be adds, (just like on the 360 dashboard) but they'll do their best to keep it to things the average player would want to see. (probably game-related stuff)

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
joystickjunki3 said:
I think it's more important to realize that most kids will probably see 3D boobs first.
Good, I'm not the only one who thought of 3D boobs when it mentioned 3DS spam. =P

crepesack

May 20, 2008
mjc0961 said:
joystickjunki3 said:
I think it's more important to realize that most kids will probably see 3D boobs first.
Good, I'm not the only one who thought of 3D boobs when it mentioned 3DS spam. =P
I foresee throngs of men clawing at the air in order to grasp immaterial jubblies.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
mad825 said:
Spam in stereographic 3D? now that's what I call Innovation.
No longer will spam say "gain three to four inches!", it will show you.

It sounds good in theory, but in truth finding free open wifi spots in Australia is very hard. Less spam for us then.