More on Halo: Reach

Jan 23, 2009
I dont care for halo, but I do care about multiplayer. Most fps games released these days use their singleplayer as a kind of tour of the environments, weapons and mechanics. Notable exceptions exist, but for the most part multiplayer games are the core of gaming today.

Pist0l 07

Jul 6, 2010
I would point out that the Halo Reach multiplayer is extremly easy to navigate through without trouble, but I never expected Yahtzee to review multiplayer in the first place. It was a great video, can't wait for more.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Yes, it is rather boring. There are new weapons and vehicles. (Or should I say old). I much prefered ODST's characterisation. I only starting liking Noble team (a little) after about half of them were dead.

May 25, 2010
Predictable responses, but I'm not sure why people got the wrong impression. (OK I admit, I was a bit baffled by his Haze review initially, but whatever). But possibly the biggest revelation today, is that he liked Metal Gear Solid 3, so far as to say it's one of the best in the series. And I couldn't agree more.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
So, wait, what? Does this mean Yahztee actually reads comments on his videos? Huh, you learn something new every day I guess.

And when it's Yahtzee, I'm happy to settle for him finding it "inoffensive", even if I disagree and think it's awesome. Yes, even the singleplayer - indeed, I thought that was the best part and can't get enough of the campaign.

(still no reply? M be disappoint)

zahr

Mar 26, 2009
Yahtzee should have played with subtitles on. I know Jorge pronounces it "mom" but that's just his accent - he's saying "ma'am."

Anyhoo, I guess Reach can join Half-Life 2 at the Mediocrity Table, eh?

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Yahtzee was probably not a man who played Final Fantasy XI. Guess he wouldn't have liked it.

Nice article, telling that the game was refreshing but still mediocre. Trying not to make a GTAIV mistake again, eh Yahtzee?

Calumon: I thought he was the real Layton!

CyricZ

Sep 19, 2009
Yahtzee, hon. I think we need a new metaphor besides "wallpaper paste" to describe something bland.

Unless, of course, you're trying to be ironic in the concept by using the same metaphor for something that's bland and samey, in which case I'll need a cricket bat to properly discipline you.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
But as for competitive multiplayer, I'm sorry, I just don't see the appeal of playing the same maps over and over again to find out which one out of you is the best at whatever it is you're doing. That's not why I'm into gaming. Call me antisocial.
Sure, but you can't blame the game for that. Different games cater to different tastes.

The fact that one is not into competitive multiplayer gaming doesn't make games that focus on it bad, it just makes them games that don't belong in ones tastes. The game can still function properly, have solid and well-balanced gameplay, that sort of thing. I hate FIFA games, just go outside and play football yourself you lazy bum, but I can't call them bad games just for that.

I wouldn't use MMO's as examples either, I'd pick games like Unreal Tournament, Quake, Team Fortress 2 and most fighting games.

David Bray

Jan 8, 2010
Actually, the 'mum' is more his creator, and the creator of chief too. This was the bit i had a problem with. Big fan of the series so far, so i know Halsey made the Spartan 2s but everyone else doesn't. Unless you read the books or the wiki you have no fucking clue who she is and it is sure as hell not explained in Reach.
I hated this game because what could have been a 15 hour masterpiece if explained properly and emoted, was a 8 hour rush job with no substance

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
Not everybody likes single player games. I don't play single player at all, ever. Therefore, all games must be judged on their multiplayer experience alone.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
Actually you listed the problems I had with the game despite me still loving it.

I mean sure its was made manly for the fans, but it would of been better for those who never played the game to actually know why everything is happening. As for the characters, yes they are pretty dull but compared to the other games it beats not having nothing.

Overall despite the flaws I still enjoyed it.

Raithnor

Jul 26, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
Yahtzee was probably not a man who played Final Fantasy XI. Guess he wouldn't have liked it.!
It would have been an epic review. The metrosexual pretentiousness of the Final Fantasy games combined with mind numbing grind of the MMO genre. It would also most likely be his last review because he would have been committed to an asylum for the criminally insane after that.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
Oh Halo fans, will you do anything for cultural acceptance like twisting the words of a harsh game critic to say that he enjoyed the game?

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
People really thought he liked Halo:Reach? Wow.

As for the Spartans being cold-blooded and distant to their mums: I think 13 year olds dig that. The story might be bland (have yet to play any Halo) but it's pretty perfectly engineered for the likes of young boys from the looks of it.

Co-op is one thing, but that's basically just single player with a ball and chain (and if you've never gotten that impression of co-op, it's because you're the ball and chain).
Can someone explain this to me? I don't get it.

lozfoe444

Aug 26, 2009
Yeah, you're right about that last one, but I don't really have anything better to wear.
I want to know something: are there any points in the story where it works better in 3rd person than it would in 1st person?