Upskirt Danger Caused Sex Change in Ico's The Last Guardian

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Upskirt Danger Caused Sex Change in Ico's The Last Guardian

The Last Guardian originally starred a female character until the designers realized that much of the game involved camera shots from below.

In The Last Guardian, the player will control a young boy who befriends a giant creature called the Trico. Lead designer Fumito Ueda revealed that he originally wrote the story with an adolescent girl in mind, but was forced to change the sex of his main character when he realized that much of the view would be from below. And young girls wear a lot of skirts...

"The Trico is a very powerful creature," Ueda said. "If we'd had a beefed-up, powerful hero, it would have thrown off the balance a little bit, so the design naturally drove me to create an adolescent female character who was light on her feet.

"But in the end I decided a boy would have a little more grip to climb the Trico. Another problem is that girls tend to wear skirts, and The Last Guardian features a lot of climbing..."

Luckily, the PS3 exclusive from the creators of Shadow of the Colossus isn't due out until the end of 2011 so Ueda has had time to make the sex change.

Of course, it begs the question as to why a Japanese developer making games for a Japanese-centric console would be so worried about upskirt shots, but I suppose Ueda has the international market to consider. Also, how about just putting the lady in pants? Seems like a much easier fix than scrapping the female character altogether.

Just saying.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=272000?]

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Agreed with the putting her in pants idea, besides for climbing it seems a bit more practical to wear pants instead of a skirt when climbing things.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Games need more female protagonists! I demand a lady in pants!
...Wow, I really just wrote that...

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I would have much rather seen a female char, put her in damn pants or something

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
I agree with the last part of the article. If they wanted a female main character that badly, all they needed to do was switch it from a skirt to pants. Simple as that. If they say that if its a female main that she would need a skirt, then team ico has problems.

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
Pants seem more than alright, but we have to consider the amount of women in this man's games that we've seen with some sort of pants.

That's right.

So if this guy prefers to have a guy than a girl wearing pants, then so be it. He's pretty awesome for it. How many Japanese developers stop and say "...I don't want my female to have upskirt issues. At all."? I wonder if there's any other developer this awesome. [/fanboyism]

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Or have her wear tights underneath the skirt or something. There's lots of workarounds.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
It seems to me this decisin was made quite early in development since I was first made aware of this game about a year ago and the screen shots showed a male protagonist then.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
Can't you all see?! Putting a female lead in pants would have been submitting to the male-chauvinist agenda!

ib4genuinefeministsgetallhuffy.

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
2 things:

- Since when did the Japanese worry about upskirts?

- Lara Croft wore pants and people still oggled her backside - of course, she jumped, swam and made grunting noises when she climbed, so that probably 'helped'.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Isn't this news pretty damn old?
Twilight_guy said:
Maybe the gryphon is female?

Then again, it's not wearing pants... Or a skirt for that matter.

Calico93

Jul 31, 2010
What ?
Greg Tito said:
Another problem is that girls tend to wear skirts, and The Last Guardian features a lot of climbing...
So girls can never wear trousers ?
And why not just have pants, or just not have the camera going up her skirt, instead we get to look at a schlong instead, okay i might have exaggerated a bit there.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Yeah so I too thought "What is wrong with pants?"

I guess the only one who didn't is Fumito Ueda.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
Skirts with leggings maybe? Or just a tunic that creates a skirt-esque look with some trousers on underneath?

Can't be that difficult guys.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Twilight_guy said:
well what do you expect from Japan? the same country that mass-markets games like Dead or Alive Extreme Beach Volleyball?

or the same country that developed jiggle physics?

seriously, no common sense and a GREAT lack of equality in that country...

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Twilight_guy said:
Congratulations, you have now left the Twilight Zone...
What? It was stuck in the 1950's so... look... do your remember any women in pants on that show? No? Didn't think so.

OT:
Yeah... a little girl in pants sounds more practical than a skirt for lots of climbing... I mean... unless there were some story reason why she had to wear a skirt I don't see why she couldn't just wear pants.