Rumor: Dark Knight Director Looking for a Catwoman

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Rumor: Dark Knight Director Looking for a Catwoman

Insiders suspect that the next Batman movie will feature one the finest love/hate relationships ever seen in the world of comic books.

Director Christopher Nolan is auditioning a number of young ladies for a part in the upcoming third Batman movie, but apparently isn't telling them what part they're actually auditioning for, leading to speculation that these calls are to find the perfect Selina Kyle, better known as Catwoman.

Nolan is reportedly looking for a woman either in her late twenties or early thirties, and isn't necessarily looking to cast a big name in the role. According to movie website Moviehole [http://www.moviehole.net/201032704-exclusive-hunt-for-batman-female-lead-begins], certain qualities possessed by some of the women Nolan is seeing is being read by insiders as a sign that the part they're auditioning for might be Catwoman. Moviehole has apparently talked to some of these women, but they have asked to remain anonymous, making it impossible to ascertain whether there's any substance to the speculation at all.

I'm torn on the idea, because the fact that some of the women Nolan is seeing might make a good Catwoman is incredibly thin grounds to base a rumor on. Let's face it, not that long ago, someone thought that Halle Berry would make a good Catwoman. The simplest explanation is that Nolan is looking for a female lead to play opposite Christian Bale's Bruce Wayne, likely in some romantic capacity.

But at the same time, it's not hard to see how Catwoman might fit in to the movie. The end of The Dark Knight - and if you haven't seen it, you might want to skip ahead a few sentences - saw Batman almost entirely alone, with the cops after him and the love of his life dead. A woman who knows what it's like to be on the run from the law and isn't going to get herself kidnapped by a crazy person might seem awfully appealing to the Dark Knight, even if she is a criminal.

Until there's an official announcement, it's complete conjecture no matter what scenario you construct, so hopefully we'll learn more about it soon. The third Batman movie is scheduled to arrive in theaters in 2012.

Source: via Bleeding Cool [http://www.bleedingcool.com/2010/10/26/chris-nolan-is-about-to-meet-potential-leading-ladies-for-his-next-batmovie/]

Rhymenoceros

Jul 8, 2009
As long as they do it well it should be pretty awesome.

I'm just worried they'll cast completely the wrong person because that could easily ruin the entire movie.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
Rhymenoceros said:
I'm just worried they'll cast completely the wrong person because that could easily ruin the entire movie.
Everyone thought they cast the complete wrong person for the Joker with Heath Ledger. We'll have to wait and see.

sms_117b

Keeper of Brannigan's Law
Oct 4, 2007
It's for Harley Quinn!

Well that's a character I want to see in the next Batman film anyway...her and the Riddler....

Broady Brio

Jun 28, 2009
Totally get Halle Berry

Though seriously I could not care who played the role...

As long as they're good.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
Adzma said:
Rhymenoceros said:
Everyone thought they cast the complete wrong person for the Joker with Heath Ledger. We'll have to wait and see.
That isn't what he's saying I don't think, he probably means if they hire someone who is bad at the role.

toomuchnothing

Jul 5, 2010
I'm in the wait and see boat however I think Mr. Nolan has somewhat painted himself into a corner when it comes to using established villains. Essentially since hes taken the fantastic elements from Batman (ie him fighting against/alongside super powered individuals)out of the picture to show a more "realistic" approach hes limited himself to only using the normal human but with exceptional abilities. Catwoman among others fall into this category which is where I see these rumors really originating from.

Personally I would love a Batman someday to be more along the lines of what they did in Arkham Asylum. An exceptional human with no superpowers beyond his own ingenuity, determination and willpower going against and overcoming enemies that far outclass him has always been one of my favorite things about Batman.

edit: I guess I should mention I would want the above minus the camp of stuff like Batman and Robin. I think Batman the Animated Series just spoiled me when it came to good comic book adaptations.

Eekaida

Jan 13, 2010
after the abismal job they did with the 'catwoman' film, they'd better do a bloody good job - ifindeed that's what they're intending.

And Harley Quinn would be good too

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
Has anyone thought of Talia al Ghul by any chance? Could be a story of revenge, as she could be seeking out Batman along with everyone else (as he didn't save her father), and using the Riddler to draw him out? Possibility.

Could be a female Robin. God help our souls if it is.

Melancholy_Ocelot

Feb 2, 2009
Nolan has used Scarlett Johansson in a few past films...

If I were him I'd sway away from the Joker/Quinn story. With Heath dead, there is going to be a LOT of pressure to recast that part. Let well enough alone and move on to a different story arch.

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
Maybe he is casting Poison Ivy? or Bat girl? or Harley Quinn?

There are a lot of people to choose. And "young actors" made me think in other directions than Catwoman.

But hey she is probably the best bet.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
They should use Jeremy Clarkson. He'd make a great Catwoman.
Is this some kind of inside joke I'm not supposed to understand?

OT: I guess if they take the characters somewhere new and interesting, it's all for the best, although I personally would have like to Nolan explore more uncharted parts of the Batman canon. Still, I'm sure the next movie will kick arse either way.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Rachel is Catwoman though!!!

Sure, the building she was in blew up, but we never saw a body or anyone go in to see if there were remains or anything. She was just assumed dead and Batman went to get Joker.

She got away! She is not dead! I'm not crazy!

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
Let's face it, not that long ago, someone thought that Halle Berry would make a good Catwoman.
No, someone thought that Halle Berry would look good in a catsuit made out of the same amount of leather as your average wallet. I refuse to believe they thought it would actually be a good film.

Frankly, I think this makes a lot of sense. Catwoman could work in both capacities, as an antagonist and a love interest, which would probably make for a very interesting plot. She's also one of the characters who would fit best into the Nolanverse, in my opinion; a lot of the Batman villains wouldn't work in the extremely realistic setting he's created. Catwoman would let them mix things up a bit; the other rumoured villain is the Riddler, but I think he'd end up being too similar to the Joker. Catwoman lets them try something different.

Plus, for a little wild speculation, The Dark Knight did give us this snippet of dialogue.

Bruce and Lucius are discussing Batman's new armour.

Bruce: Will it hold up against dogs?

Lucius: Should be fine against cats.
Intriguing, no?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
To be honest I hate trying to predict the villains for these films, because until you actually see what Nolan does with them they sound f*cking ridiculous compared to the style of the movies.

I know a lot of the comics are dark, but they still seem less of a "real world" universe then the films.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
Gxas said:
Rachel is Catwoman though!!!

Sure, the building she was in blew up, but we never saw a body or anyone go in to see if there were remains or anything. She was just assumed dead and Batman went to get Joker.

She got away! She is not dead! I'm not crazy!
That's one crazy theory right there. And I would approve if I thought Maggie Gyllenhaal performance in The Dark Knight was any good. Which I don't.

On topic: This seems like a risky move, but I trust Nolan knows what he is doing.

historybuff

Feb 15, 2009
There were rumors about the Riddler too (who I firmly believe David Tennant should play). Catwoman is supposedly in the second Arkham Asylam game but blah. Maybe they'll do Catwoman and maker her awesome.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
I see huge potential for failure in this. As far as I remember Catwoman used to be a pretty strong female character, that is at risk of being reduced to a love story. I remember her being more into Swag than into anything else, at least on the surface.

If Catwoman should make an appearance they should compine her with another, more... mhm... gritty? Villian, to prevent the movie from being a spiced up version of Mr&Mrs Smith, If anyone else saw that awful movie and knows what I am talking about.

EDIT: The Riddler would be a good pick. Someone mentioned he would end up being too similar to the Joker, on which I disagree. Joker was pure insantiy, bare of all reason. Riddler is obsessive Behavior. Reasonable, but in it's own way.