Game Consoles Beat Down Piracy in Hyperdimensional PS3 JRPG

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Game Consoles Beat Down Piracy in Hyperdimensional PS3 JRPG

A new JRPG recently announced for the PlayStation 3 in North America has far from a conventional storyline.

Many Japanese RPGs tell the tale of a child, sometimes an amnesiac, that eventually builds up enough strength to save the world. Nippon Ichi Software America is changing things up with the announcement that it'll be bringing Hyperdimension Neptunia to North America and Europe, a JRPG that features the game industry protecting itself against piracy.

Hyperdimension Neptunia casts players as a CPU, the game's representation of actual videogame consoles and companies, in the quest to save the world of Gamindustri from the evil monsters unleashed by Arfoire. As you can tell by the names used, the game takes the form of an allegory for the fight against piracy (Arfoire refers to the well-known R4 Nintendo DS piracy card). Gamindustri is made up of various world divisions ruled by CPUs with names very close to Wii and PlayStation that battle each other for dominance.

Neptunia is a parody of sorts that turns these consoles and companies into female anime heroes like main character Neptune (referring to the Sega Saturn?) that can be customized with various kinds of armor and equipment. The game also allows for the customization of character appearances through the editing of images stored on the PS3, in addition to player summons.

Classic videogame characters are used as summons in the Neptunia's battle system, but players can also use their own uploaded images. Some of the summons shown in footage of the Japanese version include Shinobi and the guy from Space Harrier, though these characters haven't been confirmed for other regions. If you want to upload a picture of your creepy uncle, that'll work just as well. Players will also be able to create and name their own combo attacks, so the game should have a strong element of personalization.

Unlike other NISA titles, Hyperdimension Neptunia uses a 3D battle system rather than 2D sprite-based combat. Aside from Disgaea 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Disgaea-3-Absence-Justice-Playstation/dp/B001C4C4KW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288542563&sr=8-1], NISA's PS3 offerings haven't fared too well critically, so hopefully Neptunia's original concept and a fun battle system will make it a worthy addition to the PS3's RPG library.

A random person

Apr 20, 2009
I've known about this for some time now. I might borrow my friends GameFly account to play this with them.

fangclaw

Mar 3, 2010
even though it looks turn based, which in my opinion is only a very slight minus,

i want it!

Murlin

I came here to laugh at you
Jul 15, 2009
And he descended.
And as he watched, came to his mind the very word which would define everything he worked for:
"neat"

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
There are so many ways to describe this concept. I'm kind of interested to see how this would play out.

JordanMillward_1

May 19, 2009
Seems like the games industry is indulging in some power fantasies [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PowerFantasy] here :p

I guarantee this game will be pirated and online for free before it's released :p

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
If the side effect of your attacks doesn't kill thousands of customers it's a bit too unbelievable.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
MUST GET

People assume JRPGs are a lost, dying thing but they're incorrect: Square Enix may have fallen but Nippon-Ichi is still kicking some ass and may even take the place of SE. Atlus and XSEED are also doing well at the moment.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
In the 360 CPU i BET you can summon Master Chief...

And this sounds pretty awesome... =D

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
cursedseishi said:
No one has brought up the most shocking part! Uploaded summons?!

Wait for Penisouraus to unload his hot vengeance on the enemy (or heal you, who knows).
Cthulu??...someone is definitely gunna do that!

And Pikachu!!!!

dfcrackhead

Apr 14, 2009
If I had a PS3(which means tons of disposable income) I'd get this game, but I do not, so I'll make my friend get it and try and play it at her house.