Fans Spend 54 Years Writing New Vegas Wiki

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Fans Spend 54 Years Writing New Vegas Wiki

The unofficial Fallout wiki has seen traffic spike by 700% following the release of Fallout: New Vegas [http://www.amazon.com/Fallout-New-Vegas-Xbox-360/dp/B0028IBTL6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288873179&sr=8-1].

There's a heck of a lot to see and do in New Vegas, and it would seem that players are keen to share their experiences with others. In the week following the release of the game, "The Vault [http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_Wiki]" - the name for the wiki - logged nearly half a million man-hours, or over 54 years of work, in less than a week.

Traffic on the site increased sevenfold, as 2.5 million visitors wrote hundreds of articles about the game's locations, characters, quests, and of course, the many, many bugs. It's believed that a large amount of the information on the wiki has been copied directly from the half-a-million word long New Vegas strategy guide, which is a little sketchy from a moral point of view, but does display some impressive dedication.

Considering that you can sink dozens of hours into New Vegas and still miss things, having a guide to refer to now and then is incredibly useful. It's not quite as convenient as having an actual physical guide you can refer to, especially if you're not playing the PC version, but you can't really complain about something you got for free.

Source: Destructoid [http://www.destructoid.com/fans-spend-58-years-updating-the-fallout-new-vegas-wiki]

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
Sorry about that. The truth is, I went back to 1956, started the website, went on the "edit page" section, and forgot about it till last week.
Seriously though, that is impressive, even taking into account that they may have copied a lot of it. And the vault is usually a really good guide to follow, even going as far as to test which bugs occur on which console.

Snowalker

Nov 8, 2008
I use that site all the time too, its the reason why I didn't pick up the guide. That and the fact that the Fallout 3 guide was horrible. Yes, I understand the pip-boy uses longitude and latitude but, it doesn't display those coordinates on the fly, so just give me a fucking roundabout location, not an exact that way I don't have to consult your huge ass map thats damn near impossible to tell the points.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
The Cheezy One said:
Sorry about that. The truth is, I went back to 1956, started the website, went on the "edit page" section, and forgot about it till last week.
Seriously though, that is impressive, even taking into account that they may have copied a lot of it. And the vault is usually a really good guide to follow, even going as far as to test which bugs occur on which console.
You're good, you used the internet before it was started on, respect ;)

That's a lot of hours pretty fast, maybe I'll use it when I sometime in the not to distant future will get New Vegas :p

Coptician

Nov 4, 2010
I wrote three pages about ladies you encounter if you exit the right building with the right trait. The ladies had already been mentioned on another page, but no pages existed on them individually. I also wrote a page about someone who is only mentioned in this game. It probably took me about 40 minutes in total to write these.

I can see why this is such an amazing amount of time.

Jul 22, 2009
I wrote and edited a few bug listings.

No more than 3 minutes at the most... I do love The Vault, very helpful and interesting Wiki.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
There's a lot of stuff to detail and they're nowhere near finished yet.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
The Vault is pretty awesome; I have it under my "Favourites" list on Firefox. Not that I'd ever need to use it, mind. >_>

Seriously though, if the New Vegas devs want to sort out all the bugs, I reckon the best way is to sort through every page on the Vault one by one. It'd take ages, but once they've sorted out the worst of the problems that people on the forums encounter, that'd be the best way to tackle all the smaller problems.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
It's not quite as convenient as having an actual physical guide you can refer to, especially if you're not playing the PC version, but you can't really complain about something you got for free.
I actually find it more convenient to look up guides for console games. Since my TV is right next to me, it's faster than minimizing constantly.
OT: That is rather impressive. Although how many errors do you think there are?

PopcornAvenger

Jul 15, 2008
I refer to it when I hit a bug, which, in F-NV, is dismayingly often. The quests in the Strip, for example.

The amount of work done on it - in terms of years - is impressive.

It's still got more than a few mistakes, but, eh, it's a Wiki after all.

gmfaux

Apr 20, 2010
Wikis are more convenient than printed guides.
How often do you find yourself saying "Man, if only wikipedia were printed out it'd be so much more convenient!"

Come on.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Pirate Kitty said:
I never use sites like that. I prefer to work it out myself. It's always a million times more rewarding when you have that 'oh shit, I just found this cool new thing/area/character/dialog option', then if you read about it and how to get to it.
True. I love Wikis but they tend to ruin games when used too much, especially the RPG exploring kind. I kind of spoiled my experiences with Fallout 2 and 3 with The Vault, just because I checked out everything there is to know, so when I went around and explored, a lot of the fun was missing. I still don't know a lot about the world of NV, so I'll still need my time.
unacomn said:
26 years were spent on the bug section.
Yeah XD.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
I had to use the vault to bring up the console commands to spawn some NPCs I needed for a quest. And to find out how to find lost companions.

I have easily put 50+hours into the game so far and I havent even been to the dam yet 8).

And The Vault is an amazing resource to save time on pieces that I am not enjoying that much.