Fans Spend 54 Years Writing New Vegas Wiki

Ausir

Sep 5, 2009
As the founder of the wiki, I can assure you that directly copying stuff from the official guide is not allowed, although of course it does happen from time to time in some cases - we try to delete and rewrite such contributions, though. Still, most of the content is based simply on the games themselves.

The wiki is never finished and there's bound to be lots of errors to correct and missing information to add, although the official guide is not without errors either. :)

Mechsoap

Apr 4, 2010
Well i have used it a few times and i must say its extremely well created. For a wiki.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Boyninja616 said:
Glamorgan said:
Oh. Wow.

And I thought my Oblivion save file was sad!
Why? How far did you get?
Personally I have 756 or so saves, and I generally don't save for a few hours after playing. Some quests where you can fail permanently fail at points I save before though :p That's sad :)

OT: I'm quite glad this is being done but I hope the data is accurate, I was on the fallout wiki a year after it came out and the amount of incorrect data I found was astounding.

DeepComet5581

Mar 30, 2010
dogstile said:
Boyninja616 said:
Glamorgan said:
Oh. Wow.

And I thought my Oblivion save file was sad!
Why? How far did you get?
Personally I have 756 or so saves, and I generally don't save for a few hours after playing. Some quests where you can fail permanently fail at points I save before though :p That's sad :)

OT: I'm quite glad this is being done but I hope the data is accurate, I was on the fallout wiki a year after it came out and the amount of incorrect data I found was astounding.
I had one save that went up to Day 2018. I know.

Thank God I uninstalled it before it took over my life...

Crap.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Snowalker said:
I use that site all the time too, its the reason why I didn't pick up the guide. That and the fact that the Fallout 3 guide was horrible. Yes, I understand the pip-boy uses longitude and latitude but, it doesn't display those coordinates on the fly, so just give me a fucking roundabout location, not an exact that way I don't have to consult your huge ass map thats damn near impossible to tell the points.
It's sad, really. The official guides that people actually got paid to write are less thorough and less informative than guides that people write voluntarily. Now granted that I'm sure more people are contributing to The Vault than who write those guides, but just look at GameFAQs. Chalk-full of full game walkthroughs, seldom written by more than one person, yet still contain more info than the official guide.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Kalezian said:
Andronicus said:
The Vault is pretty awesome; I have it under my "Favourites" list on Firefox. Not that I'd ever need to use it, mind. >_>

Seriously though, if the New Vegas devs want to sort out all the bugs, I reckon the best way is to sort through every page on the Vault one by one. It'd take ages, but once they've sorted out the worst of the problems that people on the forums encounter, that'd be the best way to tackle all the smaller problems.
hell, they have bugs that I havent been able to reproduce on an unpatched copy of New Vegas for the 360.

well, save for a very fustrating/gamebreaking bug at the end of Wang-Tang Atomic Tango, or whatever quest.

I got locked in a room in the Atomic Wrangler that required a key to unlock the door.

sucks because this si the fifth character I had to delete->restart due to being broken, not having the right skills at the right level, or generally putting myself inbetween a rock and a "fuck it, Im out" space.

OT: I wouldnt consider it morally worng to copy the game guide for The Vault, since some quests are nearly impossible, or have multiple rewards/plots.

for example, thanks to The Vault, I now have the Ratslayer [http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Ratslayer] for my sniper "fuck you, I have +45% critical chance" character along with a Anti-Material Rifle with the incendiary ammo glitch. [http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Anti-materiel_rifle]

my current character, the one I am about to delete, had This Machine [http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/This_machine] before the game bugged out on me. nice little standard rifle, and yet I would of never known about it had I not checked The Vault.
The moral of this story is, save often, and have multiple files that you can go back to if the game bugs out. It makes for craptacular RPGing, and it's a sorry state of affairs alright, but I love Fallout too much to let the glitches get to me that bad.

I've gotten off without the worst of the glitches; the game randomly crashes now and again, but I hit the quicksave often enough to get by without major setbacks.

Michael O'Hair

Jul 29, 2010
You'd think that with all the man-hours put into The Vault wiki that it would be a fairly comprehensive guide, but it isn't yet. Many of the new articles for New Vegas are in dire need of pruning. A few details are missing. I think the DAM rating for one of the weapons read "I Don't Know" or "I'll Check Later". I'm sure it will improve in the long run but for now I'll skim through the information instead of reading it word for misspelled word.

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
Well that's a mighty impressive feat and I thank them for all that hard-work!