Delaware Politician Readies for California SCOTUS Win

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Delaware Politician Readies for California SCOTUS Win

A Delaware politician says she's keeping a close eye on the California videogame law currently being deliberated by the Supreme Court and says that if it's upheld, she plans to introduce similar legislation for her own state.

Helene M. Keeley [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103623-Nine-States-Support-Game-Industry-Against-California] is nonetheless watching the case closely. In 2006, Keeley introduced legislation that sought to add violent videogames to the state's obscenity laws, an effort which passed the House but was shot down in the Senate, and if the California law stands she says she's ready to do it again.

"I still don't think that it is appropriate for young children to see that amount of violence," Keeley said, noting specifically the examples of games like Postal 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Theft-Auto-IV-Xbox-360/dp/B000FRU1UM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288898588&sr=8-1]. And although state-level courts have ruled unanimously on numerous occasions that such laws are in violation of the First Amendment, Keeley disagrees. "I don't believe it is protected speech when you are showing someone, a young adult, how to beat up a homeless person," she added.

It's not at all surprising that state legislators are keeping an eye on the California Supreme Court case, nor that some of them are gearing up to introduce similar laws for their own states if the opportunity presents itself. It's something we can expect to see a lot more of if California prevails. For those interested, transcripts of the November 2 hearing on Schwarzenegger v. EMA at the Supreme Court have been posted online [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104940-Supreme-Court-Case-Transcripts-Now-Online]. A decision on the case is expected some time in the first half of 2011.

Source: GamePolitics [http://www.delawareonline.com/article/20101101/NEWS02/11010316/1007]

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
You know, I often tell people I'm eagerly awaiting the zombie apocalypse. I take back every time I've said that, it's already happened, only the zombies are in places of power... >_>

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
that face..

it's like a flesh and bone version of trollface

SnootyEnglishman said:
Well Hell is coming to earth.
and the doom marine is going to kick it's ass back to where it came from?

=P

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
God I hope we win this so we can shove it in every one of their fucking faces.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
(I live in Delaware, thus am completely pissed off, hence the all Caps. I promise to never do all Caps again, but I think this occasion deserves it.)
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

In all seriousness:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

SEE?! I EVEN POSTED IN 2 OTHER FORUMS THAT OTHER STATES WOULD BE GETTING READY FOR THIS SHIT IF CALIFORNIA WON! I FUCKING CALLED IT! BUT FFS, WHY IS MY HOME STATE THE FIRST ONE GETTING READY, BEFORE THE CASE IS EVEN FUCKING DECIDED?!?!?!?

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD LET THE EMA WIN THIS CASE!

/rage

*sighs* Sometimes I am ashamed to live in Delaware...

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
teh_Canape said:
that face..

it's like a flesh and bone version of trollface
Holy crap! It kinda is...

Anyway, this is exactly the reason everybody hates politicians. There's no point to introducing laws like this, it's all just empty showboating taking resources away from worthwhile applications.

If you want to look like you're "fighting for the children" why not instead increase school funding? Everyone agrees that a better education can help children.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
OH NO, NOT ALL OF DELAWARE!

Well-intentioned slight aside, ***** be crazy, and ***** gonna be disappointed.

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
I don't need a game to know how to beat up someone. Humans have been doing a damn good job of it long before media existed.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
Postal 2 is popular? Maybe in her sick, depraved household, but everywhere else it's never heard of. These sanctimonious asshats need to go solve some real problems. Economy in the toilet? Stop talking about some bloody software and get cracking on employment, public works, and otherwise non-head-in-ass policies.

I say let the message be clear:

Parents: DO YOUR F---ING JOB!!!

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
Mr. Omega said:
(I live in Delaware, thus am completely pissed off, hence the all Caps. I promise to never do all Caps again, but I think this occasion deserves it.)
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

In all seriousness:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

SEE?! I EVEN POSTED IN 2 OTHER FORUMS THAT OTHER STATES WOULD BE GETTING READY FOR THIS SHIT IF CALIFORNIA WON! I FUCKING CALLED IT! BUT FFS, WHY IS MY HOME STATE THE FIRST ONE GETTING READY, BEFORE THE CASE IS EVEN FUCKING DECIDED?!?!?!?

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD LET THE EMA WIN THIS CASE!

/rage

*sighs* Sometimes I am ashamed to live in Delaware...
Agreed and I have said as much as well. If the people of escapist believe for a second that their state will not be effected, you will be wrong. There are MANY states on the fence about what move they should make. Do not be surprised if you see a 50/50 split in the United States if it passes.

Calamity

Aug 22, 2008
The DMCA, Shwartz vs. EMA.
Forget the land of the free, this is now the land of ignorance and knee jerk reactions.
The day when people who understand technology take positions in the government can't come soon enough.

Zorg Machine

Jul 28, 2008
You know what? Fu*k it. Fu*k 'em all. I'm tired of this.

Why are people so stupid? Especially (really sorry if I offend anyone) American politicians.
All I ever hear about americas political system is more and more ridiculous, stupid sh*t.

The only politicians who actually want to do good never seem to do it and the people who actually do good get into scandals and are pulled from power.

As I said, Fu*k it I'm tired of this.

/rant

Arawn.Chernobog

Nov 17, 2009
Land of the Free, hey america?

Free to express one's own opinion via any medium as an individual right, hey america?

ZEIG HEIL ZE ZUPREMME KOURT! ZEIG HEIL AMERIKA!

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
All that stands between us and Big Brother is SCOTUS. If it favors California then state governments will take the cue that it is time to start suppressing rights they feel is unnecessary in the same tone and voice as this woman.
It isn't going to be just about who gets to play what game. There is going to be a lot more thrown on the table if this passes.

God help us all if that happens.