[Update] Blizzard Exploring Diablo-Related Concepts for Consoles

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
[Update] Blizzard Exploring Diablo-Related Concepts for Consoles

Could Diablo III be coming to your consoles? Maybe not, but something very much like it certainly could.

Update: The Diablo III community site [http://us.blizzard.com/diablo3/community/] has been updated to reflect the interest in these new job postings - and console owners shouldn't start dreaming of unique items and health orbs just yet:

We're exploring a Diablo-related concept for consoles and are currently looking to fill a few senior console-related positions on the Diablo III team. As we've said in the past, with proper care the gameplay could suit the console platform, and we're interested in seeing what talent out there might be interested in such a project. If you're passionate about all things Diablo and have the requisite skill and experience, then head over to our jobs site to check out the positions and apply.

Please note that this is not an announcement of a console title. We are first and foremost developing Diablo III for Windows and Mac PCs and don't intend to allow any possibility of a console interpretation to delay or affect the release of the game.
Personally, I'm just glad that it won't cause the game's development to take any longer than it already has. I want this game, like, yesterday.

The original post is preserved in its entirety below:

A collection of job offers on the Blizzard site indicates that Diablo III may be on its way to your living room, and not just your computer.

Development powerhouse Blizzard is known as one of the few major studios remaining that focuses its aim solely on the PC, as more and more studios jump on the multiplatform wagon. It makes sense, really, given that each of its three "pillar" franchises are best suited to the platform: StarCraft is an RTS, Warcraft is an RTS and an MMO, and in Diablo you click on all of the things all the time.

That may be changing. Blizzard career site [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/31551/New_Blizzard_Ads_Seeking_Diablo_III_Console_Devs.php] under the Diablo III heading, including: "Lead Designer, Console; Lead Programmer, Console; [and] Senior Producer, Console." The implications are obvious - even if Blizzard isn't planning on releasing Diablo III for consoles just yet, somebody at the Irvine-based developer is definitely thinking about it.

It isn't like this development is completely unheralded, either - Blizzard representatives have been adamant that the developer as far back as the game's reveal in 2008 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96997-Blizzard-Will-Definitely-Return-to-Console-Development-Someday]. It wouldn't be the first time the series had appeared on console, either - EA published the original Diablo on the PS1 back in the day.

I'd personally be wary about how such a port might work. Part of the charm of the Diablo series is the rapid-fire carpal-tunnel-inducing "click on everything forever" style of gameplay, a style that is very much at home [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104652-BlizzCon-2010-Diablo-III-Demon-Hunter-Hands-On] in the sequel as it exists now. How does that work with a thumbstick and face buttons?

Still, if Diablo III could be properly ported to consoles with a control scheme that made sense, I'd be all for it. It's shaping up to be a great game, and the more people that get to play it on the Xbox 720 and PS4 when it eventually comes out in 2018, the better.

(Via Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/31551/New_Blizzard_Ads_Seeking_Diablo_III_Console_Devs.php])

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
***cough****

no surprise, Ye Olde bobby here wants MOAR money.

I don't really care tbh so long as they don't doing console ports to the PC.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I love the dig at the end, but perhaps a realistic release date would be better for your article. Your grossly optimistic date of 2018 is unlikely to be met.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
hmm, I've thinking about how this could work. I think you would have direct control of your character, moving it around with the left stick. The Right stick could be mapped to a wheel of abilities. Attack and magic/ability activate on the face buttons. perhaps quick potion on a shoulder button.

I'm not sure this will work.

JerrytheBullfrog

Dec 30, 2009
mad825 said:
***cough****

no surprise, Ye Olde bobby here wants MOAR money.

I don't really care tbh so long as they don't doing console ports to the PC.
You know Blizz did console development way back in the day before they ever started on Warcraft, right? JFC people can we not go "Oh, Bobby Kotick" every time a Blizzard story pops up? Everyone involved has said that Blizzard is autonomous, and that means making its own bad decisions.

Not that this is a bad thing mind you, it's just annoying as balls.

Anyway, given that they'd only be starting on a console port *now* I don't think there's any risk that the PC isn't the lead development platform.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Get your dirty, slow, unwieldy console hands off Diablo, you damn dirty apes!

No idea how they'd port a fast-paced game with a dozen or so required buttons (1-4, Tab, L-click and R-click, F1-F12 and quick keys like I for inventory or C for Character screen) and fast reaction time (can't precisely turn cursors with a pad, sorry) into consoles. FPS I understand - point, click, things explode, no need for more than 2 weapons. Here you have 2 weapon sets, at least 12-14 skills per character available, and the smoothness required to kill monsters and other players... Nope, sorry.

Just buy it on PC, Blizzard always makes games that look nice but run great on normal PCs. Probably even today's machines will be able to run D3 in high details. In 2014.

Charcharo said:
Ok, do people REALLY NOT know they can HOOK a controler to a PC and then hook the PC to a TV, via HDMI cables. I have had a friend with a XBOX come over, and it wasnt any simpler than pluging my PC ( plug cable is already too simple)

Fully OT: Well, good. Would be better if PC players could play with console players.
Lol no.

"Why didn't you hit with that spell? Come on!
Sorry, couldn't aim fast enough with my right trigger..."

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
wasalp said:
wasent diable 1 on ps1...howd that turn out?(really I have no idea)
I think people said it had terrible controls and shit, but I dont know, I haven't played it

but I did played a lot of Diablo 2

but I digress

Kouen

Yea, Furry. Deal With It!
Mar 23, 2010
wasalp said:
wasent diable 1 on ps1...howd that turn out?(really I have no idea)
I Preferred it over the PC Version xD

Fast Gameplay mode and you could port your player to 2 Player Local games was great

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
I remember back when Diablo one was on a console. ((cant remember which one))

It wasnt bad. The controls coulda used a little tweaking, but it was still pretty fun.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
It is probably just a Diablo spin-off. While the game could work on the consoles game-play wise (top down loot-fests have worked on the consoles before), I doubt a console would have the sheer power to run the game

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
BreakfastMan said:
It is probably just a Diablo spin-off. While the game could work on the consoles game-play wise (top down loot-fests have worked on the consoles before), I doubt a console would have the sheer power to run the game
You know I dont see many games like that for the consoles nowadays...

Diablo 3 Dungeons of the Deep (something stupid)

Rusty Bucket

Dec 2, 2008
Baldur's gate: Dark Alliance 1&2 proved years ago that this gameplay works absolutely fine on consoles. Really wish people would pull the stick out of their arse and stop bitching whenever games become available to a wider audience.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
So is THIS the reason the game has been in development for 400 years?

Apr 28, 2008
Rusty Bucket said:
Baldur's gate: Dark Alliance 1&2 proved years ago that this gameplay works absolutely fine on consoles. Really wish people would pull the stick out of their arse and stop bitching whenever games become available to a wider audience.
But that would require them to be reasonable.

OT: Eh, Diablo never interested me. But it would be interesting to see how it would work on a console.