Accio Lawsuit: 36 Minutes of Harry Potter Film Leaked Online

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Accio Lawsuit: 36 Minutes of Harry Potter Film Leaked Online

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part One was leaked two days before its worldwide premiere. People, you really couldn't wait two days?

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part One opens tomorrow, November 18th, at midnight, but fans won't have to wait that long. According to TorrentFreak, the first 36 minutes of the film have leaked online "on dozens of BitTorrent sites." This will probably prevent exactly no-one from seeing the full film in theatres, but the tension and tone that director David Yates (Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince) has likely established could be dramatically lessened.

Granted, the leak is only of a fat half-hour of the film. TorrentFreak is suggesting that the truncated nature means that the source was a partial DVD screener, as opposed to a full screener, used for preview and reviewing purposes. This leads to the leak being regarded as more of an "extended preview" than a threat to ticket sales. This has not stopped Warner Bros. from getting pissed and lawyering up. The studio released a formal statement yesterday, declaring "this constitutes a serious breach of copyright violation and theft of Warner Bros. property. We are working actively to restrict and/or remove copies that may be available. Also, we are vigorously investigating this matter and will prosecute those involved to the full extent of the law."

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince was illegally downloaded over 8 million times last year, and still managed to eke out a worldwide gross of over $934 million. There's no way on earth Deathly Hallows won't top that. Sure, 36 leaked minutes of one of the year's biggest movies stings. I do think, though, that over a billion dollars in worldwide sales would be a pretty effective balm.

Source: The Hollywood Reporter [http://torrentfreak.com/latest-harry-potter-film-leaks-on-bittorrent-before-theater-premiere-101116/])

8bitmaster

Devourer of pie
Nov 9, 2009
is this really a surprise? Ya its bad, but I could see this coming a mile away, it was just how long until it happened.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
Maybe it's a really clever marketing ploy with a cliff hanger at the 36 minutes. Thus getting people to want to see the rest of the film

:eek:

Plus it doesn't matter if the full version would release, this film is going to be selling millions. I shall defiantly watch the film and sales figures

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
So it sort of like the Wolverine movie all over again? Next thing we know some months later, who ever uploaded the leak film online will be caught and will be sentence to jail or something.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
I do find this shocking to be honest. I am totally shocked it was only the first 36 minutes! Warner Bros, should be on their knees thanking whatever gods they can think of that it was only a quarter of the god damned movie and not the whole bloody thing.

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
Man, things like this only add fuel to the crazies trying to shut down P2P sharing for good. Especially bad when it's not even the full movie... Wtf

Skratt

Dec 20, 2008
It will cost them more to lawyer up and prosecute than the ZERO dollars they are going to lose as a result. They should just save their fucking money.

ionveau

Nov 22, 2009
Skratt said:
It will cost them more to lawyer up and prosecute than the ZERO dollars they are going to lose as a result. They should just save their fucking money.
What? Ok look if these people wanted to see the movie they should have waited payed the 10$ and see it, by downloading even 30min they are stealing from the hard working movie developers,

Tell me something if you could get something for free would you pay for it?

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
I was sort of interested in this franchise during its first half, but now that I can't even remember which one of the last couple of movies in the series I have or haven't seen (because they all run together), I'm not particularly jonesing to see this one.

My bet is on the extended preview option, and WB of course would have to make the appearances of lawyering up, because their lawyers wouldn't let them get away with anything less, which is so very convenient, for the lawyers.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Seriously, Potter fans make Twilight fans look sane. That's just all kinds of sad.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
ionveau said:
Tell me something if you could get something for free would you pay for it?
People do just that everyday. Pretty much every game, movie, and CD is currently easily available on the internet for free yet people still choose to pay money for them all the time. If anything this 36 minutes of leaked footage may cause more people to see it than had originally planned.

Rensenhito

Jan 28, 2009
The Rockerfly said:
Maybe it's a really clever marketing ploy with a cliff hanger at the 36 minutes. Thus getting people to want to see the rest of the film
Damn, you beat me to it.
Honestly, that's probably what this is. What other reason could there possibly be for this leak besides generating an underground buzz? It would have had to be leaked by someone who had a copy of these 36 minutes, meaning someone who is working on the film.
But yeah. HP7 is probably gonna be pretty good. At least, it damn well BETTER be or I might go on a rampage with a crusty baguette.

Modus Operandi

Mar 11, 2010
So... basically what WB are saying is that this seeing the first half hour will be enough to keep people away from the theaters? Somehow I doubt it's THAT horrible.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Halley M said:
Jbird said:
Seriously, Potter fans make Twilight fans look sane. That's just all kinds of sad.
that is one ass-backwards statement.
As much as it pains me to admit it, I do know a few...eccentric Potter fans. They scare me sometimes.

SaturdayS

Nov 8, 2010
1: Leak "extended preview" to the public.
2: Create hype about your "rights" being violated.
3: Sue the people you leaked the movie to.
4: Profit! Profit! Profit!