New Robot Uses Kinect for Peepers

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
New Robot Uses Kinect for Peepers

The list of uses for Kinect, other than petting a adorable baby tiger or getting your groove on, just got a little bit longer.

Researchers at the MIT Personal Robotics Group have built a prototype robot that sees using Microsoft's motion controller, Kinect, to see. The robot is built using the iRobot Create platform, and is essentially a Roomba with an onboard computer, range finder, and - of course - Kinect sensor.

The robot learns its surroundings by exploring and collecting information using Kinect's depth sensor. It relays that information back to a host computer where it is used to essentially "paint" a map of the area that becomes more and more detailed as the robot explores. The robot is also capable of identifying human beings, and then tracking their limbs. This allows people to direct the robot by pointing in the direction they want it to go.

It's unlikely that this is the first time anyone has thought about using a depth sensor on a robot, but I wouldn't be surprised if Kinect is opening up new avenues because it's cheaper and more convenient than trying to build a custom solution. It's a little like universities and other institutions - like the US Air Force [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100631-Air-Force-Might-Be-Troubled-by-PS3-Other-OS-Removal] - buying up PS3 to use as processor clusters. It's not that other solutions didn't exist, it's just that using gaming hardware was more cost effective.

It's pretty remarkable what the researchers at MIT have been able to do with Kinect in such a short length of time. It makes you wonder what they, and the other people tinkering with Kinect right now, will come up with months from now.

Source: Engadget [http://www.engadget.com/2010/11/17/kinect-sensor-bolted-to-an-irobot-create-starts-looking-for-tro/]

Yggdraz0r

Jun 7, 2009
This looks really interesting. It might even be usefull!

I bet the Kinect is used in a worldwide atomic-robot war in about 15 years, and that it was all according to plan.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
brainless_fps_player said:
Awesome!
Although, kind of reminds me of terminator.
This made me think of the predator music/heartbeat that comes on when the predator in the original movie is shown using his thermal vision. Imagine that coming on when the digital 'map' is created and when it sees the guy pointing. Just made me chuckle...*sighs*

OT: Anywho, very cool. I also agree with Pirate Kitty, it's surprising to see so much Kinect news not be about it's original intended purpose. Maybe it's not without it's uses?

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Pirate Kitty said:
I love it how all the news of late about Kinect is how it can be used for everything but games XD

So little in the way of Kinect related gaming news, lol.
Hah, so true. I wonder if that will change once the promised 'hardcore' games come out...

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
Wicky_42 said:
Pirate Kitty said:
I love it how all the news of late about Kinect is how it can be used for everything but games XD

Hah, so true. I wonder if that will change once the promised 'hardcore' games come out...
The hardcore games better involve running from blood-thirsty sentient Kinect robots.

Gamegodtre

Aug 24, 2009
Pirate Kitty said:

just imagine the games that can come from this you remember R.O.B the robot well with Kinect you get (enter name here) the robot who won't try to kill you in your sleep or take pictures of you and send them to microsoft

Dorian

Jan 16, 2009
This is tremendous.

Imagine where this will get us with robotic technology since the researchers have more money they saved on this. I wouldn't be surprised that it would be the catalyst for simple robotic aids[footnote]Helper pl0x, Dr. Venture? :3[/footnote] for sell to the wealthy by 2030 or so. Pretty good considering we didn't even have something as simple as cell phones 20-30ISH years ago. At least in convinient sizes, mind you.

Bricks with a stick in it =/= easy to use.

The_root_of_all_evil said:
Countdown to Microsoft wanting a cut in 5...4...3...2...
You do realize that initiating a countdown implies that it wasn't going to happen anyways, right? :L

Feb 13, 2008
Portal Maniac said:
You do realize that initiating a countdown implies that it wasn't going to happen anyways, right? :L
I realise that Microsoft will already be claiming this as a use for the Kinetic despite all the bits being around for years anyway. This is just pointing out they have a chance in the courts as well.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
Yggdraz0r said:
This looks really interesting. It might even be usefull!

I bet the Kinect is used in a worldwide atomic-robot war in about 15 years, and that it was all according to plan.
Completely offtopic, but your avatar is totally awesome.

Are you going to see Sint by any chance?

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
You know what? Microsoft should stop marketing this as a gaming peripheral and start selling it as a science experiment :p

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Pirate Kitty said:

Haha, You are right about that.Where are the news about Kinect getting used to games?
And doesnt this mean our robot overlords can track ous so much better now?

Mezzo.

Nov 19, 2009
Dear me, they're just using all sorts of things for this Technology.

It's weird that Microsoft WOULDN'T want this, considering that it's naturally tampering with the hardware. It's what's making all this cash. :p

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
Pirate Kitty said:

The same people working on the robots, and other non-gaming uses for Kinect are also doing stuff like this:

Concepts like this will eventually come back to games, and we'll finally have something for the hardcore crowd to be interested in that utilizes Kinect.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Vanguard_Ex said:
Wicky_42 said:
Pirate Kitty said:

The hardcore games better involve running from blood-thirsty sentient Kinect robots.
I dunno - that may be a bit close to reality for me to feel comfortable... especially as it would be a Kinect running the simulation of it trying to kill you. Sounds far too much like a robot training sim 0.o