New Robot Uses Kinect for Peepers

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Countdown to Microsoft wanting a cut in 5...4...3...2...
Well hopefully someone manages to use it to help retarded/movement impaired/blind children before the lawyers take flight. They'll never be able to fight that kind of battle and put a good spin on it.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
CaptainCrunch said:
The same people working on the robots, and other non-gaming uses for Kinect are also doing stuff like this:

Concepts like this will eventually come back to games, and we'll finally have something for the hardcore crowd to be interested in that utilizes Kinect.
As cool as that looks I can't see it integrating into gaming. It's natural to move my head to get a better look but the in-game head is insubstantial so I think it would be counter intuitive to direct a limb that I can't feel... if that makes any sense.

Feb 13, 2008
manythings said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Countdown to Microsoft wanting a cut in 5...4...3...2...
Well hopefully someone manages to use it to help retarded/movement impaired/blind children before the lawyers take flight. They'll never be able to fight that kind of battle and put a good spin on it.
Agreed, there's hundreds of things that it could be used for that would really benefit mankind, but if Microsoft slap an exorbitant price on it - that could all be lost.

CaptainCrunch

Imp-imation Department
Jul 21, 2008
manythings said:
As cool as that looks I can't see it integrating into gaming. It's natural to move my head to get a better look but the in-game head is insubstantial so I think it would be counter intuitive to direct a limb that I can't feel... if that makes any sense.
Is it intuitive to step on arrows in DDR, or to use any of the music game peripherals out there? No, but the 'fun factor' allows these mechanics to persist and become profitable.

Using head tracking to give fake 3D without a special television is absolutely something reasonable for a game to do, especially if the mechanics are designed with the principle in mind. I don't think you'd see this in a twitch shooter like CoD or Halo, but it would almost certainly be effective and fun in puzzle-based adventure games and horror titles like Silent Hill.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
CaptainCrunch said:
manythings said:
Is it intuitive to step on arrows in DDR, or to use any of the music game peripherals out there? No, but the 'fun factor' allows these mechanics to persist and become profitable.

Using head tracking to give fake 3D without a special television is absolutely something reasonable for a game to do, especially if the mechanics are designed with the principle in mind. I don't think you'd see this in a twitch shooter like CoD or Halo, but it would almost certainly be effective and fun in puzzle-based adventure games and horror titles like Silent Hill.
Put like that I can see how it can be used but I'm still not ready to pre-order it, I'd need to see something substantial to really get a feel for what it can do.

Yggdraz0r

Jun 7, 2009
Ekonk said:
Yggdraz0r said:
This looks really interesting. It might even be usefull!

I bet the Kinect is used in a worldwide atomic-robot war in about 15 years, and that it was all according to plan.
Completely offtopic, but your avatar is totally awesome.

Are you going to see Sint by any chance?
Thanks :p. For some odd reason I'd like to.. but I probably will be dissappointed.. and I am not even sure why. :\.