gim73

Jul 17, 2008
Silly, hell does not exist. We've also been 'up there' and found it to be an entirely sucky place. Most of Christain Mythology isn't even based off the bible anyways, so don't feel bad about it being proven wrong.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
I've known for quite a while that the Devil's number is actually 616, but I have a few superstitions about 666.

If I see someone with 666 on their clothing, a tattoo or on a registration of a car etc. then I think the person is a twat.

Lot's of people think the number 666 is cool, but it's really not, (even if it is wrong).

There's nothing cool about an allegiance to the Devil. I'm not an overly religious person, but I still wouldn't want to go around with the Mark of the Beast.

What kind of statement does that make about a person? "I'm an evil cnut(sic) who thinks suffering & misery is a good thing"?

On a side note, I heard the Number of the Beast was actually a coded warning referring to a Roman Emperor, Nero I think, because John knew the Christians were going to be persecuted by the Romans.

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
Jamash post=18.70320.688540 said:
What kind of statement does that make about a person? "I'm an evil cnut(sic) who thinks suffering & misery is a good thing"?
Not trying to be purposefully offensive, but as far as human history goes the 'Devil/Beast/Lucifer/Satan' has never actually killed or hurt anyone. The christian church on the other hand has on numerous occasions, killed, maimed, tortured and started wars. By your logic, someone wearing a crucifix is just as bad if not worse. Don't get me wrong, I think people who have 666 vanity number plates are probably gonna be tools, just playing devils advocate (pun not intended lol)

Eagle Est1986 post=18.70320.688512 said:
Wow, I totally agree with everything you just said. I also have karma lodged in my brain, if I do something bad, something bad usually happens to me, probably due to my sub-concious bringing it upon myself.
As for the basic need to beleive in something, I agree with this as well, I don't think anyone could truly live with the notion that life is pointless and at the end of it, we all just die. Even on the most basic level, I'm sure that everyone has to believe in something that gives purpose to their lives. Which is also quite similar to your hypothesis for superstition.
Thanks, just wish I could make that much sense in my schoolwork lol.

chazmizta

Aug 26, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil post=18.70320.688538 said:
Shadowtek post=18.70320.688484 said:
First, We postulate that if souls exist, then they must have some mass.
Fail. Quantum Physics shuts that idea down due to the Higgs boson. Sorry Shadowtek :)
yeah but the higgs boson is still hypothetical :p

Feb 13, 2008
chazmizta post=18.70320.688568 said:
Fail. Quantum Physics shuts that idea down due to the Higgs boson. Sorry Shadowtek :)
As are souls. :)

Ixus Illwrath

Feb 9, 2008
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_of_the_Beast

To clear up some confusions there. I still don't know why no mention was made of my suggestion of the stacked numbers in sequence, but they do make mention that it's also the sum of all numbers from 1-36.

Evilbunny

Feb 23, 2008
One time a christian friend of mine skipped church to hang out with me and my other jewish friend. We went to 7-11 and he bought something and the total was $6.66 and when he saw that he freaked out and was like, "ok, guys I need to go to church. I'll see to you later." It was weird.

chazmizta

Aug 26, 2008
The_root_of_all_evil post=18.70320.688570 said:
chazmizta post=18.70320.688568 said:
As are souls. :)
True, true...

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Armitage Shanks post=18.70320.688564 said:
Jamash post=18.70320.688540 said:
Not trying to be purposefully offensive, but as far as human history goes the 'Devil/Beast/Lucifer/Satan' has never actually killed or hurt anyone. The christian church on the other hand has on numerous occasions, killed, maimed, tortured and started wars. By your logic, someone wearing a crucifix is just as bad if not worse. Don't get me wrong, I think people who have 666 vanity number plates are probably gonna be tools, just playing devils advocate (pun not intended lol)
I see your point, I suppose I mean the ideology behind it, not the actual reality of human actions.
All the bad shit done by the Christian church, aren't actions in accordance with the true teachings of Christ, even though the Christian church claims to be representing them.
Most Christians are good people & most people who wear a cross believe in good things, not the politically motivated reasons behind evils committed by the "Christian" church.
All the atrocities committed by the Christian church are probably due to a few darkheads in a position of power within that organisation & are motivated by power & politics.

Just because Hitler was the Fuhrer of Germany doesn't mean that every German was an crackpot anti-semite.

ianuam

Aug 28, 2008
First, We postulate that if souls exist, then they must have some mass. If they do, then a mole of souls can also have a mass. So, at what rate are souls moving into hell and at what rate are souls leaving? I think we can safely assume that once a soul gets to hell, it will not leave.

Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for souls entering hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Some of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, then you will go to hell. Since there are more than one of these religions and people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all people and souls go to hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in hell to increase exponentially.

Now, we look at the rate of change in volume in hell. Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in hell to stay the same, the ratio of the mass of souls and volume needs to stay constant. Two options exist:

1. If hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter hell, then the temperature and pressure in hell will increase until all hell breaks loose.
2. If hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until hell freezes over.

So which is it? If we accept the quote given to me by Theresa Manyan during Freshman year, "that it will be a cold night in hell before I sleep with you" and take into account the fact that I still have NOT succeeded in having sexual relations with her, then Option 2 cannot be true...Thus, hell is exothermic.

(This was a study, I thought it would be relevant here. Enjoy.)
A certain irc quote database is the origin of this, i thought.
Anyway, i believe that it was an early scroll found in Greece? that was the source of the actual christian number of the beat being 616.

monodiabloloco

May 15, 2007
Ixus Illwrath post=18.70320.688169 said:
Oh, and 13 has to be unlucky, as Dan Marino never did win a superbowl.

Breaking a mirror... very unlucky. now you need a new mirror and that costs scratch.
Oooh! and Old Scratch is another word for the DEBBIL! Don't buy that mirror, man! It'll be possesed!

hehe.

jdog345

Jul 10, 2008
rossatdi post=18.70320.688199 said:
I use the expression "touch wood" all the time and actually touch something wooden where possible. All that despite being an atheist/agnostic.
My uncle is an atheistborn in Louisiana "with God as his witness"

I am not superstitious.

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
I'm not superstitious, to the point where I don't even know what most of the traditional old superstitions *are*.

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
I'm not that supersticious, as a matter of fact the only superstition I do pay attention to is counting magpies.

I am even less concerned about the number 666 (I remember hearing at one time that the Pope's title in latin translated as 666, correct me if I am wrong, I'm curious to know if thats true), just to annoy parents, siblings and friends I even draw pentangles as a part of my signiture.

Ares Tyr

Aug 9, 2008
EmileeElectro post=18.70320.688487 said:
I was born on Friday the 13th at 6PM, weighing 6 pound 6, (666 :eek:) so I'm basically just a walking susperstition :p

I do things like avoiding ladders or tapping walls sub conciously, almost OCD, heh.

But I wouldn't really say I am.
A... Are you the anti-Christ? Your name's not Damien is it?

I'm not personally superstitious a great deal. I do, however, for reasons unknown, toss salt over my shoulder whenever I spill it. Also I dislike killing things, including insects, and try to avoid it whenever possible.

huntedannoyed

Apr 23, 2008
CTU_Agent24 post=18.70320.688135 said:
the monopoly guy post=18.70320.688105 said:
The devil's number is really 616
Yeah oxford university studied it and concluded the actual number was 616, depends on who ever you believe.
Here's the translation
"Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six."
Does anyone know what this means?
Yea, threescore is 3 x 20, equals 60. 600 plus 60 plus 6 equals 666. I guess they should have asked MIT!

Unknown Entity

Jun 22, 2008
Im supersticious in that i believe in karma..dont agree with superstitions like walking under ladders and black cats though