Cate Blanchett Bringing Galadriel To Life Again

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Cate Blanchett Bringing Galadriel To Life Again

Actress Cate Blanchett, who played Galadriel in The Lord Of The Rings trilogy, will be returning to Middle Earth in The Hobbit.

Production on Peter Jackson's The Hobbit is picking up speed, and the director is now in the process of populating The Shire. There were a half-dozen casting announcements made today, but the most prominent is that Cate Blanchett will return to the franchise as Galadriel. Blanchett previously portrayed the Lady of Lothlorien in Jackson's The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Deadline quotes Jackson as saying, "Cate is one of my favorite actors to work with, and I couldn't be more thrilled to have her reprise the role she so beautifully brought to life in the earlier films."

Also returning to Jackson's vision of Middle Earth is Jed Brophy (District 9), who'll be playing the dwarf Nori. Other dwarfs recently cast include William Kircher (Out of the Blue) as Bifur and Ken Stott (Charlie Wilson's War) as Lord Balin. Rounding out today's casting is Sylvester McCoy (Doctor Who) as Radgast the Brown, Mikael Persbrandt (Day and Night) as Beorn, and Ryan Gage (Hamlet) as Drogo Baggins.

Bilbo Baggins will be played by Martin Freeman (Hot Fuzz, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy), and Blanchett probably won't be the only LOTR alumnus joining him. According to Deadline, "Ian McKellan is expected to reprise Gandalf and Andy Serkis is expected to bring back Gollum."

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2010/12/cate-blanchett-back-to-middle-earth-for-the-hobbit/]

FredTheUndead

Aug 13, 2010
I don't remember Galadriel even being IN The Hobbit. But then, it's been quite some time since I've read the thing.

TheHecatomb

May 7, 2008
Meh. I think she was the biggest miscast in all of LotR, playing some sort of alien ice queen instead of the warm person Tolkien used to describe.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Sylvester McCoy, aka the 7th Doctor, is awesome.

Now Peter Jackson needs to hurry up and confirm if Christopher Lee will be appearing as Saruman. I don't care if they have to drag the entire production to London because he's too old to make the trip, I want him in this.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Could you imagine if Ian McKellan doesn't reprise his role... That would be a travesty. The guy that plays Gollum though, not a big deal if he wouldn't come back, I know a couple people who can do the voice pretty well, besides, Gollum wasn't in the Hobbit for more than a few pages.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
Sober Thal said:
This is good news. I hope the movie really is getting closer to being made!

On a side note, this has been bugging me for awhile... why are actresses called actors now? I know it's been that way for years, but why? Can someone explain the problem with the word actress?
Political corretness basically. People don't like the idea of seperating female actors into their own category anymore. That's the world we live in.

OT: Good news indeed.

voetballeeuw

May 3, 2010
FredTheUndead said:
I don't remember Galadriel even being IN The Hobbit. But then, it's been quite some time since I've read the thing.
My thoughts exactly.

OT: Just fantastic. I'm really excited for this. Are they still making it in 3D, though?

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
Sixcess said:

Now Peter Jackson needs to hurry up and confirm if Christopher Lee will be appearing as Saruman. I don't care if they have to drag the entire production to London because he's too old to make the trip, I want him in this.
Lee already said he was out. Too old to be globe-trotting.

:(

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Sixcess said:

Sylvester McCoy was horrible doctor, he is just bad actor. Before he got the part, he was best known for novelty act in which a midget rode a toy train with fork on the front into his genitals.

Its maybe 20 years since I read the hobbit but I don't think Galadriel was in the book. So I'm beginning to think this not going to be the hobbit but a chance to sell the merchandise left over from the lord of rings.

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
i dont think galadrial is even in the Hobbit, unless they are showing the meeting of the white council and their move against sauron

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
FredTheUndead said:
Likewise. Infact, I don't even recall Bilbo and company ever going to Lothlórien (although, given the amount of time it has passed since I read the book, I could be wrong). Rivendell and Mirkwood were definitely part of the book, but not Lorien.

Now that I think about it, neither was Radagast in the Hobbit either. Jackson certainly is taking liberties with this (although, given how Radagast was one of the most ignored characters in the Middle-Earth Legendarium, I can't say I am complaining).

Sixcess said:
Well, even if Cristopher Lee doesn't wish to reprise the role, it's not a huge loss. Don't get me wrong, Lee was awesome as Saruman and I wouldn't want anyone else to play him. But considering that Saruman wasn't even in the Hobbit, it's not like he is a critical part of the movie(s).

The thing that I am most curious about regarding these films is what kind of tone Jackson intends to maintain with them. While Lord of the Rings was a mature piece of literature, The Hobbit was more written as a children's tale (which is actually reflective of the tone Tolkien was originally going to take with LotR). While it would be nice if they stuck to the direction the book maintained, it might potentially run the risk of alienating the mass audience. Afterall, the epic scale and dramatic events were part of the appeal of the trilogy.

Also, I really want to know who is going to voice Smaug. Considering he is the main villain of the story (and a story tends to be only as good as it's villain), they need to pick someone really good. Quite frankly, I wasn't impressed with the voice from this clip:

Fumbleumble

Oct 17, 2010
TheHecatomb said:
Meh. I think she was the biggest miscast in all of LotR, playing some sort of alien ice queen instead of the warm person Tolkien used to describe.
Absolutely and uterly agree..

Galadriel was warmth and light personified...Blanchette played the part like some cold *****, wracked with her own agenda.

I have to admit I didn't like Blanchette at all in the part.

Mind you I also HATED Jackson's mispronounciation of Sauron... Calling him SOW(female pig)RON, instead SAW-RON..

I mean FFS Tolkien was a lit and grammar lecturer for god's sake.. RULE OF THUMB.. stick with the proper english pronounciation and you'll be fine.. but if you start sticking in vowel sounds from the Aussie/New Zealand tongue.. then you're going to get it wrong.. just sounds so dumb.. arguably one of medias biggest baddies and the asshole gets it mispronouced throughout the entire trilogy...

I want that changed for The Hobbit.. but even if he were to admit his mistake, he'd keep it the same out of continuity.