Cate Blanchett Bringing Galadriel To Life Again

jonnosferatu

Mar 29, 2009
FredTheUndead said:
I don't remember Galadriel even being IN The Hobbit. But then, it's been quite some time since I've read the thing.
---
Most significant casting call left unannounced, to my knowledge:
Will we have Hugo Weaving as Elrond?

Logic Sword

Jun 8, 2010
She wasn't in the original book, however when Gandalf wanders off for a bit in the middle, it's possible he'll meet with her then (can't remember where it said he was going, but I seem to recall it being somewhere she'd fit in.)

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
Sober Thal said:
On a side note, this has been bugging me for awhile... why are actresses called actors now? I know it's been that way for years, but why? Can someone explain the problem with the word actress?
It's longer than actor and I always forget to use it anyways.

And 'Actor' is a word with a meaning, while 'Actress' is a modification of the original world. So while a male is an actor, a female is an actor who is also female. It's inherently exceptionalist and one example of an immense body of sexist forms in the English language. And it's not like in Spanish or Russian where every word has gender. English only uses gendered nouns when there is some form of identity or role that was traditionally reserved for males.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
TheHecatomb said:
Meh. I think she was the biggest miscast in all of LotR, playing some sort of alien ice queen instead of the warm person Tolkien used to describe.
I agree. It'd be one thing if I weren't really fond of her, but out of all the performances in Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies her performance the one who genuinely stuck out to me as being unlikeable and boring. The movies want us to be fascinated with her to the point of going well out of their way to waste screentime with scenes of her walking around barefoot, not doing anything or interacting with anyone and generally being a cold, distant moon-person. "Look at how mysterious she is! OoooOOOoh!" the camera keeps telling me. I just shake my head and go, "okay...?" Her character in Indy 4 inspired more interest in me, and that's saying a lot.

jonnosferatu said:
Most significant casting call left unannounced, to my knowledge:
Will we have Hugo Weaving as Elrond?
Only reason I can think of for using Galadriel in this thing is if they couldn't GET Hugo Weaving to play Elrond again and they just figured nobody would care if they stuck Kate Blanchett up on the screen in his place. I really hope not, because as much as I hate Blanchett's Galadriel I love Weaving as Elrond and will happily overlook her presence in this film if he comes back.

Edit:
Oh yeah. She was the narrator, wasn't she? Never mind, that's probably the real reason she's here.

imperialreign

Mar 23, 2010
FredTheUndead said:
I don't remember Galadriel even being IN The Hobbit. But then, it's been quite some time since I've read the thing.
She wasn't . . . but, as the rumor-mill goes, they intend to split The Hobbit into two films - and we all know the novel isn't long enough for two films. Rumor going around is that they intend to "bridge" between the Hobbit and the start of the LoTR. In the novels, there is an 88-year gap that's covered, but wasn't really touched upon in the LoTR film. With this recent news, that kinda confirms their intentions with the two films, but it's anyone's guess.

I'm glad of it, though - I thought she portrayed the part excellently. As well, getting actor's to reprise their roles does a lot of continuity between films.

maturin

Jul 20, 2010
Sober Thal said:
You sound knowledgeable about this
I'm not.
why do the (Oscars) Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Science still have Best Actress categories?
Because it's still the English language, and they have no reason to call it the Best Female Actor category unless they're taking it upon themselves to change the usage of the words.

But someone help a sheepish Tolkien fan: when was Galadriel even present in the Hobbit?

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Fumbleumble said:
TheHecatomb said:
Meh. I think she was the biggest miscast in all of LotR, playing some sort of alien ice queen instead of the warm person Tolkien used to describe.
Absolutely and uterly agree..

Galadriel was warmth and light personified...Blanchette played the part like some cold *****, wracked with her own agenda.

I have to admit I didn't like Blanchette at all in the part.
I disagree completely and absolutely: I thought she handled it perfectly-- she was intimidating and cold (remember, elves generally were viewed as being aloof and arrogant by the younger races), and well-suited to the rumors of the 'fairy queen of Lothlorien' who would ensorcel trespassers, but after Bilbo and the Fellowship spent some time with her, she was warm, caring, and very, very helpful.

Fumbleumble said:
Mind you I also HATED Jackson's mispronounciation of Sauron... Calling him SOW(female pig)RON, instead SAW-RON..

I mean FFS Tolkien was a lit and grammar lecturer for god's sake.. RULE OF THUMB.. stick with the proper english pronounciation and you'll be fine.. but if you start sticking in vowel sounds from the Aussie/New Zealand tongue.. then you're going to get it wrong.. just sounds so dumb.. arguably one of medias biggest baddies and the asshole gets it mispronouced throughout the entire trilogy...

I want that changed for The Hobbit.. but even if he were to admit his mistake, he'd keep it the same out of continuity.
Uhm... I'm sorry, but you're wrong. In Appendix E in Lord of the Rings, Tolkien specifically states that 'au' is pronounced as in 'loud' or 'how'. So 'Sauron' is pronounced "SOUR-on" or "SOW-ron".

Furthermore, the genesis of LotR came out of Tolkien creating stories and a mythos around the language he created; since he was playing around with language, it's not really a logical deduction that he would use standard English pronunciations.

maturin said:
But someone help a sheepish Tolkien fan: when was Galadriel even present in the Hobbit?
She didn't appear in the book, but it's pretty clear that Jackson is going to go beyond the scope of the Hobbit a tad. Galadriel helped form the White Council, so if he did some sort of expository scene involving them, she might be present. Also, her daughter married Elrond in the 3rd Age, so she could appear at Rivendell. And finally (and I think most likely), she took part of the battle at Dol Guldur to oust the Necromancer (later discovered to be Sauron) and free Mirkwood from his influence. I say this one is probably the most likely, because Gandalf disappears for most of 'the Hobbit' to attend to that-- I'm guessing that when he returns, they'll likely show what happened in a flashback scene.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
maturin said:
Sober Thal said:
You sound knowledgeable about this
I'm not.
why do the (Oscars) Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Science still have Best Actress categories?
Because it's still the English language, and they have no reason to call it the Best Female Actor category unless they're taking it upon themselves to change the usage of the words.

She was not, nor was Radagast the Brown. I'm scratching my head to see how these two are going to fit into The Hobbit, especially since Radagast was never even in Lord of the Rings. He is mentioned only, although I have often wondered what he looks like. This could be good.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
solidstatemind said:
She didn't appear in the book, but it's pretty clear that Jackson is going to go beyond the scope of the Hobbit a tad. Galadriel helped form the White Council, so if he did some sort of expository scene involving them, she might be present. Also, her daughter married Elrond in the 3rd Age, so she could appear at Rivendell. And finally (and I think most likely), she took part of the battle at Dol Guldur to oust the Necromancer (later discovered to be Sauron) and free Mirkwood from his influence. I say this one is probably the most likely, because Gandalf disappears for most of 'the Hobbit' to attend to that-- I'm guessing that when he returns, they'll likely show what happened in a flashback scene.
Along the lines of showing Gandalf fighting the Balrog in The Two Towers, right? :)

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
solidstatemind said:
Fumbleumble said:
TheHecatomb said:
Absolutely and uterly agree..

Galadriel was warmth and light personified...Blanchette played the part like some cold *****, wracked with her own agenda.

I have to admit I didn't like Blanchette at all in the part.
I disagree completely and absolutely: I thought she handled it perfectly-- she was intimidating and cold (remember, elves generally were viewed as being aloof and arrogant by the younger races), and well-suited to the rumors of the 'fairy queen of Lothlorien' who would ensorcel trespassers, but after Bilbo and the Fellowship spent some time with her, she was warm, caring, and very, very helpful.

Fumbleumble said:
Mind you I also HATED Jackson's mispronounciation of Sauron... Calling him SOW(female pig)RON, instead SAW-RON..

I mean FFS Tolkien was a lit and grammar lecturer for god's sake.. RULE OF THUMB.. stick with the proper english pronounciation and you'll be fine.. but if you start sticking in vowel sounds from the Aussie/New Zealand tongue.. then you're going to get it wrong.. just sounds so dumb.. arguably one of medias biggest baddies and the asshole gets it mispronouced throughout the entire trilogy...

I want that changed for The Hobbit.. but even if he were to admit his mistake, he'd keep it the same out of continuity.
Uhm... I'm sorry, but you're wrong. In Appendix E in Lord of the Rings, Tolkien specifically states that 'au' is pronounced as in 'loud' or 'how'. So 'Sauron' is pronounced "SOUR-on" or "SOW-ron".

Furthermore, the genesis of LotR came out of Tolkien creating stories and a mythos around the language he created; since he was playing around with language, it's not really a logical deduction that he would use standard English pronunciations.

maturin said:
I thought the necromancer was later revealed to be the Witch King? Sauron was still in ringless torpor at the time, it was the adventures of Bilbo and the Ring that reawakened Mordor.

wasalp

Dec 22, 2008
TheHecatomb said:
I think all those warm feelings were just vibes from her magic and also I don't remember her in the hobbit either but I think that in the movies they will be focusing on the part where gandalf goes to fight a lich.

wasalp

Dec 22, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
as the fine gentlemen you decided to quote pointed on, I can vouch for him that sauron was the reason for lich because he was trying to bring him back, this said lich could be sauron.

irrigger

Dec 8, 2010
No. The Necromancer was/is Sauron. The Witch King at that time was residing in Minas Ithil (or Minas Morgul). Either that or he was actually in Mordor, preparing the place for Sauron's return.

Also, I was under the impression that there wasn't really a battle at Dul Guldor since Sauron had planned for it and was using it as a diversion so he could return to Mordor. I could be a bit wrong on this, but Galadriel does completely obliterate Dul Guldor herself at the end of the Lord of the Rings (it's in the appendices).

She will probably be more involved in showing wtf Gandalf was doing when he wasn't with the companions. And without Christopher Lee, how the hell do you have the White Council (seeing how he is the head of the freaking thing)

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
Sixcess said:
Sylvester McCoy, aka the 7th Doctor, is awesome.

Now Peter Jackson needs to hurry up and confirm if Christopher Lee will be appearing as Saruman. I don't care if they have to drag the entire production to London because he's too old to make the trip, I want him in this.
Erm...was...was Saruman even in the Hobbit?

'Cause I don't think he was.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
WrongSprite said:
Sixcess said:
Sylvester McCoy, aka the 7th Doctor, is awesome.

Now Peter Jackson needs to hurry up and confirm if Christopher Lee will be appearing as Saruman. I don't care if they have to drag the entire production to London because he's too old to make the trip, I want him in this.
Erm...was...was Saruman even in the Hobbit?

'Cause I don't think he was.
Nope, but he was mentioned, which is more than can be said for Galadrial.

I think from the moment they announced it was going to be two films it was inevitable that they were going to 'expand' the story somewhat

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Spacewolf said:
i dont think galadrial is even in the Hobbit, unless they are showing the meeting of the white council and their move against sauron
He did say the Hobbit was to be a two parter, maybe the White council driving Sauron/The Necromancer from Dul Guldur will be the climax of part 1.

Still, Galadriel being in the Hobbit wouldnt be the least of errors he made. Note to Mr. Jackson... Aragorn got Anduril before they left Rivendel.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
FredTheUndead said:
Same here. I don't remember her being in it at all. I know Elrond was there, but Galadriel? I don't think so. Not unless they're... -swallows- ...adding stuff in.

Velocirapture07

Jan 19, 2009
Again this is all really cool, but one thing is really killing my anticipation for these movies.

TWO WORDS (well really one number and one letter) 3D

Why, oh God why, does every damn movie have to use the 3d gimic bullshit. I'm so tired of it, and it will almost certainly sour this movie for me. Thanks a lot jerks!

DarkPanda XIII

Nov 3, 2009
Galadriel definitely was not a part of the Hobbit, which makes me believe that she'll make a quick appearance, the same way Marton Csokas played Celeborn in 'Return of the King'.

Who is Csokas? Watch the sequence where Elron and Galadriel were standing next to each other, there's a third guy standing there, that's Celeborn. Note he didn't speak at all..

EDIT: Which is funny because my Father pointed me out and told me the importance of him. I just now looked Celeborn up and found out that he's....important to the society of elfdom in the series, but the way we were seeing things in the eyes of the story, he's not that important to 'us' in the sense.