George Lucas Denies Claims That He Is Digitally Resurrecting the Dead

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
George Lucas Denies Claims That He Is Digitally Resurrecting the Dead

British tabloid newspaper The Sun claims that Lucas is snapping up the film rights for dead celebrities, and cites a comedian as its source.

You can shelve any hopes of seeing Alec Guinness play Obi-Wan Kenobi one last time, as Star Wars head honcho George Lucas has refuted rumors that he plans to bring long deceased actors back to life using the black arts of computer graphics.

The story originated in British tabloid newspaper, The Sun [http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/3261450/George-Lucas-plans-to-put-dead-film-stars-back-on-the-screen.html]. Comedian Mel Smith, who worked with Lucas on the movie Radioland Murders in 1994, and was described as Lucas' "pal," apparently said that the director had been quietly buying up the film rights for dead actors. Lucas was "obsessed" with computer imagery, Smith said, and wanted the likes of Orson Welles and Barbara Stanwyck to appear alongside modern actors. The inevitable denial of these claims was terse and to the point. A spokesperson for LucasFilm simply said that the rumor was false and didn't go into any more detail.

This would likely be the line that LucasFilm took regardless of the validity of the rumors, but even the most fervent critic of Lucas would have to admit that the source of the rumor is a little fishy. British tabloids don't have the best [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102247-Daily-Star-Gets-Nailed-for-Made-Up-GTA-Story] reputation [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103424-Details-Dont-Add-Up-In-Story-About-Mothers-Game-Addiction] for accuracy in the first place, and the Sun in particular has no problem re-writing its own content [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105286-British-Newspaper-Blames-Videogames-for-Rise-in-Rickets] to make it more sensational. I'm not sure The Sun would make this story up from whole cloth, but I wonder if the quote from Smith has been presented out of context.

Source: Blastr [http://blastr.com/2010/12/george-lucas-wont-be-brin.php]

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
I didn't know dead people had rights.

The more you know....

As sensational as it sounds, it slightly makes sense to me when talking about George Lucas.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
This is George Lucas we're talking about: I wouldn't be surprised if he actually wanted to bring dead actors back to life to star in his new Star Wars project.

Emo-Hawk

Jul 9, 2008
I find it funny as it's from The Sun, a paper which only sells cause it comes with a topless female in it's page three for all those "Hard" working men who like to rub one off when they're busy.
In my eyes The Sun = a joke paper and the readers are an even bigger joke.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Who senses Walt Disney will have a Cameo in the next Star Wars remake? I'm sure they could find him on an ice planet and defrost him.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Mel Smith hasn't been a Comedian for 20 odd years. These days he is producer, director and straight actor. There is money to be made from using the images of old Hollywood actors, not just in films but in adverts. Imagine Cary Grant endorsing your line of mad men style suits. I wouldn't be surprised if was true because its smart investment.

Brotherofwill said:
I didn't know dead people had rights.

The more you know....

As sensational as it sounds, it slightly makes sense to me when talking about George Lucas.
Its like any other copyright, its lasts 75 -100 years after the originators death.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
I don't think The Sun is that great of a new source to trust for credible news.

/understatement]

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I think they just got their wires crossed. He's not likely looking to digitally resurrect dead actors, he wants to use actual dead actors.

It's a heck of a lot cheaper to use a corpse, and he'd end up with the same stilted emotionless acting anyway.

Feb 13, 2008
The Sun: Lying bigoted tabloid rag run by a man with obsessive control.
or
George Lucas: Single idea'd, twin director with an obsession in control.

Hmmm...

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
lol the Sun is at it again!

What next? Lucas is actually an alien, source cited from the Hobo with the Doomsday sign down the street? XD

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Never, EVER believe what The Sun says. EVAR. To those of you outside of Britain, The Sun is incredibly biased, unreliable, and will out-right lie to make the headlines.

Melancholy_Ocelot

Feb 2, 2009
Yes, The Sun is less reputable, but let's be pragmatic...

Considering past events, what lows will George stoop to in order to milk a franchise?

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Source: The Sun = Instantly disregard anythign said in this article.

The sun is only good to get a breif over view of the worlds affairs and a laugh. Also boobies.

CosmicCommander

Friendly Neighborhood Troll?
Apr 11, 2009
Simalacrum said:
Never, EVER believe what The Sun says. EVAR. To those of you outside of Britain, The Sun is incredibly biased, unreliable, and will out-right lie to make the headlines.
This, multiplied by one million.