U.S. Government Plans to Expand Internet Piracy Crackdown

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
U.S. Government Plans to Expand Internet Piracy Crackdown

According to the U.S. government, its recent shutdown of dozens of copyright infringing websites is only the beginning.

The Department of Homeland Security shutdown dozens of websites [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105661-Homeland-Security-Seizes-Dozens-of-Piracy-Websites] at the end of November 2010 due to copyright infringement, and the Obama administration's intellectual property "czar," i.e enforcement coordinator, has no plans to stop there. Victoria Espinel has reaffirmed that the U.S. government now has a very active interest in ending internet piracy.

Speaking at the Brookings Institution Conference on internet policy, Espinel told listeners that people should "expect more" strikes like the recent DHS operation in the near future. "We are going after the piraters and counterfeiters," she said, adding that the digital piracy of music, movies, and videogames is a "direct threat" to the consumer and eliminates jobs.

In addition, she talked about her plans to broaden the crackdown to internet outfits that sell counterfeit drugs and other goods. Her department has been in meetings with various corporations such as American Express, Google, and Microsoft to see what can be done about online pharmacies, and presumably other infringing websites as well. These meetings may or may not be the catalyst that brought about Google's recent piracy initiative [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105834-Google-Prepares-Piracy-Crackdown].

In a related issue, the Senate still has to vote on the Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act (COICA), which would give the government the power to blacklist certain websites stationed anywhere in the world that are dedicated to infringing activities. The days of the government and corporations not understanding the technicalities of file-sharing are certainly over, but the question remains whether these new measures will be for the good of the honest Joe, or become a detriment to internet freedom.

Source: GamePolitics [http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1210/46003.html]

GahzlyGriffon

Feb 12, 2009
Well its a bad week for anyone on the internet against(i dont mean literaly) the us eh?

wiki leaks,pirate,counterfeiters.
wonder if their going to take on 4chan next?

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
From a moralist standpoint it is a good thing to shut down the distributing sites (not that I would know what a moralist thinks.)

But Corporate America will ensure this continues to run far over the boundaries of bullshit.

Bretty

Jul 15, 2008
That's awesome. Another sign of the American Gov't being bought by corporate interests...

How about you fix the fact that a huge percentage of your people are below the poverty line...

My name is Fiction

Sep 27, 2010
Well atleast the users of such sites are safe [ past cases made suing useres illegal, just the distributors are to blame ]

Xpwn3ntial

Avid Reader
Dec 22, 2008
I think they should quit while they are ahead. Corporations have their petty victory, but I am certain continuing this will hurt them more than pirates.

People may be dumb, but when given a restriction, they will find a way around it.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Pirate Kitty said:
Made my day ^^

Awesome.
You do realise that there's a lot more to this than just piracy, right? If it only was about piracy I'd be cheering along with you, but this sort of law looks out over a whole world of a lot more scary and less good things.

But what I do find funny is that so many people talk about this but don't seem to realise that their main focus is to shut down websites that make money on counter-feiting; webshops selling cracked games, fake Gucci stuff, that kinda thing.

Nikolaz72

This place still alive?
Apr 23, 2009
.... This is sad.. Just reading the title "Extends" kinda able to see where this is going like ehm.. Websites connected to torrent websites intstead of torrent websites only? Yep. That can be used to silence people.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
after this whole wiki leaks scandal we all know where this is going.... There timing couldn't have been worse to be honest in that regard.

My name is Fiction

Sep 27, 2010
Well there were some presedent were the defendent won, mostly because he owed about a million dollars in movies and music and they lived on minimum wage soo it would have taken several generations to pay it off, oh and no you are NOT being an ass :p