Saturn's Rings Are Evidence of an Ancient Moon's Death Spiral

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Saturn's Rings Are Evidence of an Ancient Moon's Death Spiral

A scientific study posits that the beautiful rings surrounding the planet Saturn were actually created from the death throes of an ancient moon.

The origin of Saturn's rings has been a mystery for a long time. At first, astronomers believed that the rings were debris created when two of Saturn's many moons collided and showered bits of rock and ice into the outer atmosphere of the fifth planet in our solar system. But, as our probes gather more information about the makeup of Saturn's moons, the evidence didn't match up. The rings are almost 95 percent ice, while the moons are half rock and half ice. If the rings were made from a collision, then what happened to all of the rock debris? A new study written by Dr. Robin Canup, from the Southwest Research Institute, and published in the scientific journal Nature [http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nature09661.html] puts forth the theory that a large moon, bigger than Saturn's Titan, fell out of orbit slowly with gravity pulling off the layers of ice before the rocky center hit the surface. The ice stayed in orbit and formed the rings that we all recognize.

Canup's theory begins with the formation of the planets in our solar system. Billions of years ago, around each of the major planets was a disc of hydrogen and other elements that eventually coalesced into solid moons. Some of these would have fallen into Saturn, while the orbits of others could have degenerated over 10,000 years, leaving behind the rings. This would also explain some of Saturn's smaller moons which may have formed from ring materials.

Other experts are happy with the new theory. Larry Esposito, an astronomer from the University of Colorado said that it was "a very clever, original idea," and that he was interested in the idea that moons formed from the rings. "I would call it more like cosmic recycling," Esposito said. "It's not so much a final demise, but a cosmic effort to reuse materials again and again."

Source: Australian Geographic [http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/journal/cosmic-murder-created-saturns-rings.htm]

(Image [http://www.flickr.com/photos/elsie/50897315/])

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I'm still waiting for scientists to explain what the giant hexagon on the top of Saturn is about. It's a few miles deep and very obvious, I just want to know how/why is it there? It's truly something strange.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
An interesting hypothesis, to say the least. There's still so much we don't know or haven't thought of!

Greg Tito said:
"I would call it more like cosmic recycling," Esposito said. "It's not so much a final demise, but a cosmic effort to reuse materials again and again."
One of the standard things the universe does; matter lends itself to re-use. Said matter started life as hydrogen and formed stars. In those first stars it was burned into heavier elements until too much of it had formed into iron, which can't be normally fused. Unable to maintain the power of fusion against gravity, the stars collapsed in on themselves. But the laws of physics intervened. After being pushed as far as it would go, the matter pushed back in a horrifically powerful explosion, so powerful it blasted the outer layers of the star outward AND fused them into even heavier things not possible during the normal fusion a star is capable of. These random chunks of star material passed into space. There they collided with other pieces of other stars that contained different heavy elements. All this chaos disrupted balls of hydrogen gas that had the potential to become stars, giving these fledglings the little push they needed to start burning. Smaller collections of that same material around these newborn stars fell together into planets. And on at least one of these planets, some of the matter arranged itself in such a way that it could create more of itself out of the environment around it, and life was born.

Look at everything around you: All of it (and all of you), save a few atoms here and there, was first forged in the death throes of ancient and long-forgotten suns.

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
I'm sorry, but the words "death spiral" brought this up in my mind:

But anyways, it's nice to know where the rings came from.

Somethingfake

Oct 22, 2008
Raziel_Likes_Souls said:

Funny thing is, when I read "Death spiral" what came to mind was Ricky Gervais career.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Greg Tito said:
At first, astronomers believed that the rings were debris created when two of Saturn's many moons collided and showered bits of rock and ice into the outer atmosphere of the fifth planet in our solar system.
Might want to retake junior high astronomy. I think you mean "Sixth" planet.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
Huh, interesting. Sounds plausible, indeed.

Oh boy, am I a sucker for stuff like this.

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
Somethingfake said:
Raziel_Likes_Souls said:

Funny thing is, when I read "Death spiral" what came to mind was Ricky Gervais career.
I see what you did there. That was a lot funnier than the Invention of Lying, at least.

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
It is possible....but this is a theory.

Science is very seldom correct about anything.

sagacious

May 7, 2009
I think Saturn is the sixth planet, not the fifth.

OT: sounds interesting, but not incredibly useful or game-changing.

Flauros

Mar 2, 2010
Digikid said:

troll, or just really random?

this is your theory that science is rarely correct about anything? what?

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Sounds more plausible then the other theory but then again i am not a scientist.

I wish Earth had rings...

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
I can't really see how any gravitational effect can pull ice from an ice covered rock to fly outwards while the core itself is pulled inwards, but thats just me.
But since we know quantum physics, "physics shouldn't work that way!" isn't a valid argument anymore, so.

the formation of new "rocks" from the rings on the other hand seems plausible.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Flauros said:
Digikid said:

troll, or just really random?

this is your theory that science is rarely correct about anything? what?
It's true. Do you know how often we get things wrong before the theory finally fits all the information. Take light. First it was thought to be a wave. Then particles. Then waves. Evidence kept surfacing that said it can't be one theory or the other. Now light is just weird. It is in fact both. I don't care if they are right, I still think it's a coincidence. I'm pretty sure it was a cop out, and they got lucky.
"Fuck it, light is both particle and wave... Hey, that fits."
Don't ask me how, that shit is quantum mechanics kinda stuff.
OT: Cool theory, but I really wanna know what the deal is with black holes. Figure that one out scientists.

Imsety

Oct 26, 2009
Snotnarok said:
I'm still waiting for scientists to explain what the giant hexagon on the top of Saturn is about. It's a few miles deep and very obvious, I just want to know how/why is it there? It's truly something strange.

Ask and ye shall receive.

Rainforce said:
I can't really see how any gravitational effect can pull ice from an ice covered rock to fly outwards while the core itself is pulled inwards, but thats just me.
But since we know quantum physics, "physics shouldn't work that way!" isn't a valid argument anymore, so.

The core isn't pulled "inwards" as you might think, it wouldn't be like an asteroid colliding with the planet. It's still an orbiting moon, but with an unstable orbit that slowly brings it closer to the planet. Fragments breaking off from the surface in this situation may very well be "left behind" while the moon continues on its deadly voyage.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Imsety said:
Snotnarok said:

Ask and ye shall receive.

Rainforce said:

The core isn't pulled "inwards" as you might think, it wouldn't be like an asteroid colliding with the planet. It's still an orbiting moon, but with an unstable orbit that slowly brings it closer to the planet. Fragments breaking off from the surface in this situation may very well be "left behind" while the moon continues on its deadly voyage.
Explained ...but still awesome. Space rules.

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
Imsety said:
thanks, I expected this, but the article wasnt really clear enough.
This explanation sounds far better than "[...]with gravity pulling off the layers of ice before the rocky center hit the surface." XD

and yeah, it would be pulled inwards, plus its rotational movement.