Critical Miss: Lord of the Wrongs

sarahvait

Nov 6, 2008
It was the English guy who really got me. It that a gladstone he's swinging around?

Edit: Or is it a teapot?

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
sarahvait said:
It was the English guy who really got me. It that a gladstone he's swinging around?

Edit: Or is it a teapot?
Same, its tea pot
' I would very muck like to murder you'
XD

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
I gotta say, as much as I like the idea of "you can play a role even though if you don't exactly fit the physical description of it, but you can do what the character does, no matter of your skin color and shit", I gotta say, sometimes it just goes too far and it straight up changes the original character

still, the last panel was just genious ^-^

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Ugh! The Lily Allen lyric! Outta nowhere!

But some of these possibilities are indeed funny. Then again I've never been a die-hard LOTR fan so...what the heck do I know other than to enjoy the drama around it all? *smirks*

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
I want a "You Shall Not Pass" sign like that.

I know the perfict spot on my front lawn.....

Baalthazaq

Sep 7, 2010
"Colored hobbits"

Samwise was originally black... read the book... seriously people...
Furthermore Aladdin was set in China (Seriously, again, read the original).

Complain THEN not now.

Gingerman

Aug 20, 2009
Meh he's got a good point, lets make Gandalf 2 feet tall have bright pink hair and speak only as if he's got a nail through his tongue. Oh wait no that'll make the character look rather silly.

Here's a better idea! lets remake braveheart but instead of William Wallace being a white guy we'll make him a Chinese midget with no legs. Oh wait no that'll be rather historically inaccurate and insulting.

Here's another great idea! lets take a race that lives in a country with a similar climate to England and throw the occasional black person in! Oh wait that makes no sense as that race wouldn't of evolved the skin pigment because the sun isn't that strong in the setting they're in.

Don't give me the bullshit that its a fantasy novel, its in a low fantasy setting so although it has magic and shite it still adheres to some rules, for example if I booted Frodo off a cliff gravity would make him fall.

Not casting black/Asian people for hobbits is not racist its common sense, yes maybe have tanned hobbits because that is possible (hobbits near Bree are more tanned I think). Anyone who thinks this is racist really needs to grow up and stop being so bloody PC.

If a film was being made on Martin Luther King and the actor was white I'd be really pissed off, it doesn't matter if one is real and the other is not the book states that they are white and therefore if you want to stay true to the book (which they do I'm guessing with LOTR) then only white people should be hobbits.

Or if you want Pink haired 2 foot Gandalf would be awesome.

Edit: Have to say love the last panel goes to show how short sighted you really are. Gandalf wasn't gay in the films the actor was. His sexual orientation had no effect on him being a white old man and playing Gandalf just as he is in the books. Legolas's problem is merely a continuity error that was over looked the rest of Bloom was ok in relation to the books (apart from his acting)

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
As long as they don't do anything too offensive, it's all good
Baalthazaq said:
"Colored hobbits"

Samwise was originally black... read the book... seriously people...
Furthermore Aladdin was set in China (Seriously, again, read the original).

Complain THEN not now.
Really? I was sure he was just tanned due to being a gardener. Does it describe him as dark skinned? Because I'm dark skinned but very much white

Josdeb

May 22, 2008
This is probably the first time where I've been able to work out which song the lyrics come from :p

Ernil Menegil

Aug 2, 2010
Gingerman said:
Meh he's got a good point, lets make Gandalf 2 feet tall have bright pink hair and speak only as if he's got a nail through his tongue. Oh wait no that'll make the character look rather silly.

Here's a better idea! lets remake braveheart but instead of William Wallace being a white guy we'll make him a Chinese midget with no legs. Oh wait no that'll be rather historically inaccurate and insulting.

Here's another great idea! lets take a race that lives in a country with a similar climate to England and throw the occasional black person in! Oh wait that makes no sense as that race wouldn't of evolved the skin pigment because the sun isn't that strong in the setting they're in.

Don't give me the bullshit that its a fantasy novel, its in a low fantasy setting so although it has magic and shite it still adheres to some rules, for example if I booted Frodo off a cliff gravity would make him fall.

Not casting black/Asian people for hobbits is not racist its common sense, yes maybe have tanned hobbits because that is possible (hobbits near Bree are more tanned I think). Anyone who thinks this is racist really needs to grow up and stop being so bloody PC.

If a film was being made on Martin Luther King and the actor was white I'd be really pissed off, it doesn't matter if one is real and the other is not the book states that they are white and therefore if you want to stay true to the book (which they do I'm guessing with LOTR) then only white people should be hobbits.

Or if you want Pink haired 2 foot Gandalf would be awesome.
Pretty much this. As a Tolkien scholar, the notion of black and asian hobbits repulses me. It is not a matter of racism, but a matter of simple logic.

PS: Oh, and actually, there really WAS a female Nazgul among the Nine. Was called Amraphel, if memory serves me well.

Folio

Jun 11, 2010
There's that freaky bird again! It's more distracting than the unused white space!