Greg Tito's Five Favorites of 2010

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005

Greg's five favorite games of 2010. I bet you can't catch 'em all!

Read Full Article

tlozoot

Feb 8, 2010
I perhaps need to play through Red Dead again, because the first time I played it I really did not get the enjoyment out of it that everyone else apparently has. Missions felt painfully linear, the story didn't do anything until the very end, combat was merely a case of auto-aim, the mini-games didn't feel fun or necessary thanks to a non-existent economy and lack of use for currency.

It did have great characters, music and scenery though. Pah...maybe I just need to give it another play through.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Great respect for including Mount and Blade: Warband.

I wish the enemy AI made things a little more challenging but I still love the game to death.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
Um yeah, none of these games would make it to my fav 5. Just because not many good games came out this year, doesn't mean that I've to include some mediocre ones to my list. To each his own, I guess.

JerrytheBullfrog

Dec 30, 2009
Giest4life said:
Um yeah, none of these games would make it to my fav 5. Just because not many good games came out this year, doesn't mean that I've to include some mediocre ones to my list. To each his own, I guess.
What bizarre standards do you have that Civ V, Mount and Blade, RDR and StarCraft 2 are mediocre?

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Greg Tito said:

Greg's five favorite games of 2010. I bet you can't catch 'em all!

Read Full Article
I may have to give Mount and Blade a go. As an absolute DIE HARD aSoIaF fan (see my user group for the upcoming HBO Series: Winter is Coming!) I would love to feel like Barristan the Bold Riding down bandits and enemies in defence of my King!

although you show me a game where I feel more like Khal Drogo and I will give you my firstborn!

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
crotalidian said:
although you show me a game where I feel more like Khal Drogo and I will give you my firstborn!
Still Mount and Blade: Warband, one of the factions is exclusively cavalry, and there is nothing stopping you from never settling down in territory and simply maintaining a purely independent force of all cavalry - looting towns, making trade runs, attacking bandits/deserters, etc. The game is really that open ended.

If you pick up the game, the cavalry heavy force is the Khergit, but they have a more Turks and the Mongols feel. The Sarranid are probably a little closer in feel to what you are looking for as they represent the Arabic medieval civilization. They still get some really nice cavalry units, but also focus on light infantry as well.

Seamus8

Mar 26, 2008
Ice and Fire, not Fire and Ice.

Hadn't heard of Warband though, will def give it a go based solely on this video.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
JerrytheBullfrog said:
Giest4life said:
What bizarre standards do you have that Civ V, Mount and Blade, RDR and StarCraft 2 are mediocre?
It's a genre thing, I think; a game has to be "phenomenal" for me to get interested in it.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Slycne said:
crotalidian said:
Still Mount and Blade: Warband, one of the factions is exclusively cavalry, and there is nothing stopping you from never settling down in territory and simply maintaining a purely independent force of all cavalry - looting towns, making trade runs, attacking bandits/deserters, etc. The game is really that open ended.

If you pick up the game, the cavalry heavy force is the Khergit, but they have a more Turks and the Mongols feel. The Sarranid are probably a little closer in feel to what you are looking for as they represent the Arabic medieval civilization. They still get some really nice cavalry units, but also focus on light infantry as well.

Yes but would you feel like a Khal, with fierce bloodriders, curved blades and whips and eastern style armour. That is what I am looking for (and being able to sleep with Daenerys wouldn't be bad either)

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
crotalidian said:
Yes but would you feel like a Khal, with fierce bloodriders, curved blades and whips and eastern style armour. That is what I am looking for (and being able to sleep with Daenerys wouldn't be bad either)
Pretty much actually...

Fierce bloodriders - well you are not going to be tying bells into your hair, but combat is sufficiently fierce. Let's just say my pristine white mount is usually more pink or red on one side by the end of the fight.

Curved blades - yes, the arakhs that the Dothraki use is likely very similar to the various curved sabres and such in the game.

Whips - sadly, this is the one point that will fall short.

Eastern style armor - certainly, the Dothraki are loosely based on the society and tactics Mongols and Arabic nations, both of their armor styles are represented in the game.

(and being able to sleep with Daenerys wouldn't be bad either) - you can court women in the game. I haven't seen anyone with silver hair and the 'mother' of dragons though.

Valagetti

Good Coffee, cheaper than prozac
Aug 20, 2010
Very silly how the subject types always give away the games. Red Dead, was by far the best game of 2010, can't agree with that more! And its the only game that doesn't have a number on the end!

comet5002

Mar 27, 2009
Wow Greg...our taste in games are polar opposites. Not one of those sounded appealing to me.

Ah well, what you gonna do.

Kuro Kaze

Mar 26, 2009
Wow....I'm sorry but no...just no to almost all of these. Civ 5 was just terrible. I hadn't heard of Warband and I will probably give it a look but it looks pretty boring at first glance not gonna lie. I can go with SCII because that was a hell of a lot of fun and I put more time then I should have into that game. NBA2k11 looks ok but not a sports fan as much. For you these games might be where it is at but I'm sorry 1/5 doesn't float in my book.

The Mapper

Feb 17, 2010
Mount and Blade: Warband hell 2 the yesssss i love that game only just finally won it as my own kingdom... it took way to long

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
JerrytheBullfrog said:
Giest4life said:
Personally I found Warband to be extremely boring and to this day cant understand why people like it so much, but I think the rest are excellent.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
Kuro Kaze said:
Wow....I'm sorry but no...just no to almost all of these. Civ 5 was just terrible. I hadn't heard of Warband and I will probably give it a look but it looks pretty boring at first glance not gonna lie. I can go with SCII because that was a hell of a lot of fun and I put more time then I should have into that game. NBA2k11 looks ok but not a sports fan as much. For you these games might be where it is at but I'm sorry 1/5 doesn't float in my book.
I said it before on another list, but seriously, these are FAVORITES, not years best games.

Olr

Dec 29, 2010
Mount and Blade is a Truly awesome game but one of it's major strengths was ignored in the review. Mount & Blade has been available for Modding almost from Day -1. These Mods add in many different extras but Prophecies of Pendor allows the Player to declare themselves King.. And is also available for Warbands.